Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

edge comp: to drag upgrade or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by caleb c.
500 extra fueled rpm's is worth it in my opinion.It pulls harder than the standard model too.Look on the tdr classifieds too,thats were I found mine.
That may be right for a stock truck, but the trucks with more air can benefit more from removing the defueling. I went from 596 to 648 by switching out the comp for a drag comp. It allowed the truck to spool the twins to their full potential. In my opinion, the drag comp feels stronger than the TST/EZ stack.

brandon.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:29 AM

should i get fass first? fass or fass2?

also tell me about the blue chip pump cover

thanks for all the info so far. i think i will just get the drag, i don't see why not
Old 06-22-2005, 03:49 PM

1. Blue chip = no unless warranty repairs are going to be an issue. Since your driving a 99 with some mods, I wouldn't worry about it.
2. Fass = Get the drag comp first and see what your fuel pressure is doing. You can always keep it on lower settings until you upgrade the fuel system. I've got a wildcat fuel system and it works fine with what I've got. If I ever go over 500hp or start going thru lift or injection pumps, then I'd look at a fass. I've got 40K on the clock since my mods with the same lift pump and no issues yet.
Aaron
Old 06-22-2005, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by smokey1
1. Blue chip = no unless warranty repairs are going to be an issue. Since your driving a 99 with some mods, I wouldn't worry about it.
2. Fass = Get the drag comp first and see what your fuel pressure is doing. You can always keep it on lower settings until you upgrade the fuel system. I've got a wildcat fuel system and it works fine with what I've got. If I ever go over 500hp or start going thru lift or injection pumps, then I'd look at a fass. I've got 40K on the clock since my mods with the same lift pump and no issues yet.
Aaron
i only have like 60k miles though, does that matter.
i am getting a f/p gauge today and i will see what is going on first, but fass is going to be down the road for sure.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd skip the DRAG mod. Especially if you have the HO.

jmo
Old 06-22-2005, 05:16 PM

What is the reason for not running a Drag COMP on an H.O.??? just curious, as I am going to be buying a COMP and the drag version is an option i might get.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:21 PM

are you stacking this with your VanAaken?

what #s are you looking for? HO has small injectors, so it wont be giving you much as far as #s above the stock truck (edit- stock truck with comp vs. drag comp). if you plan on bigger injectors, turbo(s), and/or a hot rod pump than it might be worth it.

$/hp value is for you to decide.

they should match it, they said that after all. the shop i bought mine from said the same thing, and they did match it.

what happens if it frys the VP44? hope you have some sort of an escape plan just in case things go south.

Pat
Old 06-22-2005, 06:28 PM

I always understood that if you had larger injectors on a H.O. then you would benefit from the drag comp. As far as the warranty is concerned, if you are only at 60K then you may want to consider the 50 bucks for the blue chip cover. After all, any time you tap into the wire you run the risk of losing your VP. The blue chip is still not a guarantee though, you have a lot of mods on the truck and a dealer could hassle you about any of them.
Aaron
Old 06-22-2005, 07:05 PM

how do i know if it is an h.o? it is an auto, i thought the 6 speeds were h.o's

if the vp44 goes south i guess i would look into my options of replacing/upgrading. if i get a fass doesn't that cut the chances of it going bad?
i think i will get the bluechip cover, especially since its just 50 bucks.
i ordered my f/p gauge today, an autometer "cobalt" electric. anyone hooked one of these up? i wonder how hard it is.

i am not stacking this with the VA, anyone want to buy it?

i really don't mind spending a little extra cash for the drag upgrade.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by xj_punk
how do i know if it is an h.o? it is an auto, i thought the 6 speeds were h.o's
01.5 and newer 6 speeds were HOs. there were 6 speeds before that, but SOs. either way, you are an auto so youre not an HO. i mixed a couple of questions into my one post.

what is your goal with the truck? racing? towing? pulling? daily driving? twins? manageable EGTs? you dont want to buy something only to replace it with something better a few months down the road. ask others on this forum about the 275 injectors...it didnt take long to want more.

Blue Chip diesel also makes a Redline power box...its adds a lot of HPs and lets you redline at 4000rpm
Old 06-22-2005, 08:40 PM

goal for the truck: daily driver, occasionally pull my rockcrawler around (not very heavy), pull my parents 24 ft camp trailer every once and a while, and be able to show some rice rockets who's boss at stop lights and maybe even at the track.
i don't want to buy many more upgrades, i just want the comp box and whatever is necessary to make it work, like fass and maybe even different injectors. this is not a race truck, it is already decent fast, but i just want one more step and i like the idea of adjustability the comp offers. i would like to use it on certain settings for towing, racing and optimum fuel mileage around town.
i don't plan on any major upgrades like turbos and my tranny is already ats-ified so that should be okay.

i am just concerned that if i get the comp box my vp44 will be doomed! so thats why i ordered a f/p gauge today. a guy at the local diesel shop says to just get the f/p gauge hooked up and get a comp and see what happens. i am planning on a fass anyway, so i will get that a little down the road. who knows i might not even need it.
i am going to order a blue chip cover right now too, since it is only 50 bucks anyway.

tell me about your trucks mods. how much $ are dd3s and how much power do they add?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:32 PM

GET THE COMP WITH THE DRAG OPTION...YOU CAN ALWAYS RUN IT IN THE LOWER SETTINGS iF IT 'S TOO MUCH POWER; EGT; TRANS SLIPPAGE; FUEL PRESSURE DROP...I'VE BEEN UNDERSHOOTING MYSELF FROM DAY ONE...CAUSE YOU WILL ALWAYS WANT MORE, AND IF YOU THINK IT'S NOT WORTH THE MONEY AFTER THE FACT, SELL IT AND LOOSE THE FEW BUCKS!! ...JUST DEPENDS HOW DEEP THE POCKETS ARE AND WILLING TO SACRAFICE...IN THE END, I'M JUST SAYING FOR THE FEW HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS DIFFERENCE...JUST DO IT...!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:04 PM

Get the DRAG.
That box still owns after 4 or 5 years of being around.

I had one back in 2002 and it was great.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:13 PM
The Guru

I would run the drag box over the comp box. I've run both boxes. The truck will just keep pulling until you pull your foot out off it. Even on the lower settings the drag box kicks butt. The truck just will just wake up and run like it should. The power comes on smooth and the truck will idle good. My old comp box would just lay down over 2700rpm's but now she pulling hard. Your VP pump will live assuming you have fuel and the electronics in the pump is still working. If your pump is on its way out, this box will just speed up the process. I'm only on my second VP, the first one got killed by no fuel (my fuel pick-up got plugged). Yes-You need to upgrade your fuel system. If you don't do this you will buying lift pumps and VP pumps. The Fass pump works pretty sweet and you'll have tons of fuel. I've run the Van box, ez box, comp box and the super chip. My truck was an 235hp, to start with. Twins rule....
Old 06-22-2005, 10:21 PM

The Comp (either version) will be very nice with the DD3 (or Jammer III's) I've been running the Comp box for 120,000.. and the DDIII"s for 55,000... About to put this same setup in an auto in a few days... Depending on your airflow.. you should be in the 400-420 range.. (a little on the higher side if you changed exhaust housings... (my HP is a little low in my sig because of a slipping clutch on the dyno..)
I still have the stock hx 35.. and towing is great... Settings on the box while towing depends on the load... hauling my pulling tractor... (7500-8500lbs on 24ft G-neck) i usually run with the box on 1x5..(or 1x3) but I have to watch the EGT's a little... (especially in the summers here in TX) If I don't feel like watching the gauges, I just turn off the box, and I don't have any problems.. (the only thing that could change this would be your elevation, and how long of a grade if you pushed it very hard.)
There are lots of places to get the Jammers.. If you get just the nozzles.. (You can find them cheap.) Just have them check before you install them.. ( You have to install the nozzles on your injectors, and sometimes the popoff (opening ) pressures can be a little off with the change, and need to be adjusted.. )
Good Luck,
Bryan

Quick Reply: edge comp: to drag upgrade or not?