Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge Boost Elbow - real world tests

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Boost Elbow - real world tests

I couldn't wait for the new Edge stuff to come out and decided to go ahead and get a box. I live in the Las Vegas, NV area and chose to go to Diesel Dynamics. They just happen to be based in LV. Picked up there cool air intake as well as there fuel box. Edge makes there fuel box and DD puts there sticker on it. The edge sticker is still on the back of the box.

The only difference when purchasing the box is that Diesel Dynamics doesn't include the Boost Elbow. After a couple of phone calls to Edge and a couple to DD, this is the explanation. DD feels that through there testing with (12k load if I remember right) they felt that the boost elbow didn't do anything and actually had the ability to get things even hotter. We had long talks about Turbo Effeciency and Boost levels. I decided to try the darn thing, and do some real world testing for my self.

Without the Elbow:
Empty, peddle to the floor egt's would immediately jump and reach 1400* in a heartbeat. Max boost at 27 - 28psi

Pulling my 8500lb toybox, up a 7% grade in 3rd, I could easily reach 1400* and had to back out. I could reach 61mph. Max boost at 28psi.

With Elbow:
Empty, peddle to the floor egt's would get to 1200* and stop max boost at 34psi

Pulling my 8500lb toybox, up the same 7% grade in 3rd, I could not get past 1325* egt, but pulled the hill at 65mph. Had peddle left, but took her easy on the old gal ;D Max boost at 36psi

Same exact parameters on a 4% grade, In OD I was able to pull the same hill almost 7mph more with only 1250* egt's. There is a coralation between rpm and egt.

My Ford PS would achieve lower egt's in 3rd with more rpm. The new Cummins makes more heat with more rpms. This is due to the new injectors "multi-pulse" phase above 2700rpm. This is in line with what DD stated.

That being said, the boost elbow was a definite asset in real world performance.

ON OUR TRUCKS..... MORE BOOST = MORE AIR = LOWER EGT'S.

At least that's what my guages are telling me ;D
Old 10-08-2003, 01:48 PM

Re:Edge Boost Elbow - real world tests

I thank you for your real world tests. I find tests like that to be interesting and useful.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:41 PM

You are very welcome. I also believe that without this type of Data it's all just a bunch of "bench racing".

I don't know about you, but my bench never pulled anything but a bunch of crap my wife didn't want in the house :-X
Old 10-14-2003, 06:53 AM

With that being said, I wonder why the destructions that come with the Edge box say that the boost elbow is optional and not needed per se??? I installed mine knowing that the extra air was needed to cool things down to a "safe" EGT level.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:18 PM

I wondered the same thing, until at one of our BSing sessions a friend of mine asked if I installed the elbow on the turbo yet? My response was no. In turn he responded that I was dumping alot of free Horse Power down the exhaust pipe. I installed the elbow and pulling the 5er home the truck seamed to have more power. I went from around 24 pounds boost to 36 that I see now.
See Ya
Chris
Old 10-15-2003, 04:43 PM

buy the box install the elbow, its worth it.