Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Ebay Twins

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay Twins

Any of you guys seen the set of twins on ebay for two grand? Will the hot pipe even clear the cowl? Looks nice anyway. SS
Old 02-03-2004, 08:46 PM

this one?
Twin turbo kit I was wondering that myself, I was going to see what everyone thinks about it. its real clean looking and simple, I wonder what kinda numbers it could do?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:31 PM

That is Shawn's kit from Vaught Tech. I have talked with him a couple times and he seems to be a good guy. The top turbo is an S300 and that might be a little laggy out of the box. With some modifications it should spool well but the one included with the kit is stock. He has different exhaust housings for that turbo so that will help but it may still be a little laggy for some. The other concern is that there is no wastegates or blow off valves. I think these are a necessity. I don't know of anyone who owns one of these setups but it would be nice to find someone to answer some of these questions. Overall it looks like a pretty good kit for the money. I definitely think the location of the air filter is very poor so relocating that would be on the top of the list.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:43 PM

I like the way the cold side has no boots to blow apart
Old 02-04-2004, 07:55 PM

I dont know about the turbos but that is a nice looking motor.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:19 PM

Just looked at the pics of this set up for the first time. The position of the cold side is pretty scary actually. Air flow is gonna be really restricted there, not to mention the fact that it is right beside the engine. Can you say hot?
Old 02-04-2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by gsdog1
Just looked at the pics of this set up for the first time. The position of the cold side is pretty scary actually. Air flow is gonna be really restricted there, not to mention the fact that it is right beside the engine. Can you say hot?
I think you are confusing things. The hot pipe is the black one on that is colser to the engine and it will get extremely hot. Personally I would recommend wrapping it in header wrap. All of the TT setups I have seen have the hot pipe in a similar position. The cold pipe is actually the polished pipe which is much farther away from the engine.

I would be nice to see a little smoother bend going into the big turbo. Also the hot pipe seems a little long. I'm guessing the big turbo will be very close to the firewall. Overall it is a nice setup and is probably very functional but IMO not quite as nice as the PDR setup, but is it also not as expensive as a PDR setup.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the clarification!

I still don't like the position of the intake though...

The polished pipe does look nice and clean in terms of the fit and finish!

Matt
Old 02-04-2004, 09:48 PM

Do you guys think its worth the money? the manufacturer says that it has not quite as quick spoolup as the stock turbo, and it is good up to 800 HP, he also says that it will do 80PSI.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:04 PM

Your stock headgasket will hate 80PSI

I think the spoolup will be significantly slower than a stock HX35/12.

I'm guess it will move enough air for at least 700HP and quite possible 800HP with the right housings, and obviously enough fueling.

I don't think the price is bad at all but there are a couple things this system lacks that you will need to address. One of the most important is a wastegate and/or blowoff valves. Although some do not wastegate the small turbo I think it is necessary. Some use blowoff vlaves to adjust max boost. I know of a couple other commercial systems that do not have a wastegate but I personally feel they are necessary.

Also as I already mentioned I would relocate the airfilter and header wrap the hot pipe.

If for the $2000 you are getting the flanged fittings on the cold pipe and the ceramic coating that makes the price even better.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:04 AM

Sorry guys but I'd like to see some one make 800 hp with a set of those Twins, to date the only person making 800 hp with Street Twins and driving them every day is Richard Madson(Maddog) that little set of Twins at 80 would have a drive (back pressure) of 110 psi as a guess. A HX-35/18.5 and HT3B/26 combo will go south in a hurry after 65 psi.....been there, tested that long ago On that setup there is no divorced wastegate or any type of by-pass to drive the Big Charger harder, this is setup just like my old setup was from the beginning, I then employed the divorce setup and dropped 250 degrees of EGT. Boost is just a resistance number, if the air temp at the hat is 400 degrees then it's not going to work very well. I'll give you a little tid bit of info, my new setup will run cooler at the intake hat with 20 psi more boost over the last setup, why simple bigger chargers working less so the air is not heated up as much! Just trying to help you'll out!

Jim
Old 02-05-2004, 05:13 AM

This is what I'm talking about When I say divorced wastegate, this is my old setup when I was making the changes.

Jim
Old 02-06-2004, 01:43 AM

A Stock S300 will be for spoolup.

With how far that HT3B is back on the motor,, it's going to take some firewall trimming to get it to fit!

No Wastegate? That's ~$300 right there! Plus Piping...

80PSI boost? Sure. I made 76PSI on an HX-40/16 and an HT3B/26. There was no noticable HP increase from 60PSI to 76PSI. But,,, I did pick up 300*F+EGT.

My new set of twins are making 26 more pounds, but I haven't had a chance to truly record EGT.

A Cheap set of twins,, is just that.

There are some problems that need addressed on that setup. It looks really good on an engine stand, but it won't work so great under your hood.

Merrick
Old 02-06-2004, 10:20 AM

I agree with Merrick. As I see it you are paying 2k for two stock turbos and two pipes. There isn't a wastegate, a downpipe, a different intercooler pipe (the S300 also doesn't have a v-band flange for the stock elbow), and a intake pipe to move the filter away from the hot motor. Personally I think spoolup is going to be terrible. One other thing I noticed is the support plate holding the 3B. Has anyone tried to get to the back of the motor where this thing bolts. It's not a fun thing to do.

Just my .02
Nathan
Old 02-06-2004, 10:27 AM

80PSI boost? Sure. I made 76PSI on an HX-40/16 and an HT3B/26. There was no noticable HP increase from 60PSI to 76PSI. But,,, I did pick up 300*F+EGT.

This is the best data yet.

Thanks guys for chiming in here. So there you have it three guys that run Twins at high HP levels and we all think the same, it's because we have been there and done that.

Jim