Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Ebay HID conversin kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay HID conversin kit?

i have the sport headlights with the clear lenses

and im not real happy with there output and i have decided somthing needs to be done. I am either goin HID or 80/100w bulbs with ralays.

I was looking on ebay for the HID conversion kits for the 9007 bulbs and it looks like there is 2 differnt styles mainly. one looks like it has a reflective case around 180 deg. of the bulb and theres a shield that moves for high/low beam. the other style has a bulb that moves up/down for high/low beams.

I have serched and it looks like theres tons of people that say they suck but from the sounds of it the majority of them never had them either

if anyone that has them or has had them could let me know what kit you have/what style bulb where/who you got them from and what you think of them. maybe post some link if you can.

also list if you have standard lights or sport lights aftermarket or oem.

thanks

justin
Old 11-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Justin,

I spend a lot of time at another full size truck site and recently read a great post about DIY HID. The biggest problem you need to overcome is called "cutoff". It is the highest point that the headlights project light and still not blind oncoming traffic.

This requires lenses and deflectors to project your light forward and down onto the road and not into the atmospere.

Stock headlights for halogen lamps do a good job with a halogen lamps. HIDs are far to bright to not be focused properly.

If you are interested in reading this post, I will get you a link or tell you how to get there. Now, this guy did have to buy a set of factory HID headlight shells and lamps and ballasts. He admitted to having almost $500 in his setup, but it works properly and is legal. He also bought a new set of headlights for his truck to modify.

His posts and pictures are great and informative.

No, I do not have HIDs, but with this guys info, I could be interested.

Let me know.

Ronnie
Old 11-17-2007, 08:43 PM

thanks for the reply. I think i found a post on here kinda like what your talking about. he spent about $500 and put projectors from a bmw or somthing in a sport headlight assembly kinda like mine. thats a little more involved than i was goin for. i have another brand new set of headlights just like whats in my truck that i got for free that are just laying around but i think thats a little more $$$ than i wanted to spend.

to me it would seem that if the light is coming from the same spot weither it be HID or 80/100w bulbs i would think the head light assmbly would still have the same pattern to it. maybe it dont work like that though.

Justin
Old 11-17-2007, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
if you dont have the upgrade harness get it !

also look at the 9104 bulbs to replace your 9004s !
Old 11-18-2007, 12:25 AM

Hi, I think I'm that guy you're talking about. Actually I think I have about $250 or so in the setup + the price of the sport headlights. I made my own wiring harness so that saved me about $65. You can probably do it for that price too if you just keep an eye out on ebay or in the classifieds of HIDPlanet.com/forums. Lots of reading on what projectors to use, etc. on that website. Those guys are very picky about projectors though, so don't get misled. Like something they call "way better" may actually not be worth the money to you.

Anyway, your beam pattern will be screwed up if you use HIDs in a reflector housing. To what degree depends on the headlights. I saw a Civic here the other day with an HID kit and it was absolutely ridiculous. He lit up the top of the tree in my front yard. Yes a tree... That's how messed up the beam pattern was. Plus he had this deep blue colored bulbs. Imagine driving towards him on a two-lane highway. Aggravates me...
Old 11-19-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have HID set up on my 02 with sport headlights i have the 6000K bulbs, i've been running them for about 4yrs now. HID are bright, the beam pattern isn't right but if you angle the lenses down a bite it does work. Nothing compares to the briteness of HIDs IMO