Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Easy power mods, explain some things

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Easy power mods, explain some things

Fuel Plate/s. How easy is it to install these? What are they? and do they cost much? Which ones do I need for a 1995 12v engine? Do they add much for HP? How does it effect the power curve at different RPM? Does it hurt the life of the Engine?

Gov. Springs. Same questions..

I would like to do some easy cost effective mods that won't effect the life of my engine or harm it.

Looking for more power from 1800-2100 RPM as my stocker engine really dies off.

My exhaust is already performance but everything else is stocker engine wise, tranny is a high $ heavy duty jobber see my sig.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They control the maximum amount of fuel allowed at a given rpm. Fuel plates cost about $130, are available with most vendors. Performance varies per plate.
http://www.wildcatdiesel.com/torque.htm

Governor springs help the motor not defuel as it hits higher rpms, they are about the same price, pretty much the same install, you can pick from 3k or 4k. The 4k will make the truck's "throttle" a little edgy which doesn't help for winter driving, also to actually rev it past 3450 you should have the 60lb valve springs.

Basically for desire of more power from 1800-2100 I doubt the springs will do much as they effect 2100 on more than anything, a fuel plate should make a pretty big difference in that range though.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow

I did some digging starting with your link and Im surprised at just how little effort there is in upRating these engines. My 95 is a bit sluggish but fortunatly for me they are really easy to upRate.,

I'll be adding a fuel plate in the very very near future as I need to replace the fuel lines and do some brake work (including the 30mm GM Master Cylender )

This forum has been awesome! Thanks guys, I was getting really close to trading this thing off on a gaser lol

Maybe a few mods and some work will make me wanna keep this truck for a good long time to come.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:43 PM

A G@$$ER?!

If you just want a little extra power you can just slide the factory plate forward a little bit more rather than getting a new plate but the power difference of getting a new one is substantial as you see in those charts.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:09 AM

gauges first.... and bud.., there is no "G" in Cummins...

Can't help ya on the fuel plates... the 160hp pump guys seem to like a certain combo of delivery valves, plates, and maybe 215 injectors to wake things up...

The governor spring kit (AKA 3k or 4k GSK) contorls your rev limit, and will help the engine to keep pulling past 2100..

I would recommend a call to a few different vendors, i.e. Piers, Wildcat, etc.. and see what they say...

Who did your trans... a local vendor? The plate, injectors, and GSK will let you see if it was worth the money that you spent with them..

Oh, BTW, the 30mm cylinders are WHEEL cylinders, not the master cylinder.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:25 AM

welcome aboard greasy,

Your on the right track, for shore! Read alot on here before big investments and changes just to make sure you don't buy anything twice or hurt your big "C". I recommend gauges, #10 tst plate, 3 gsk, and a bhaf, in that order as you can justify them. Use the search tab to look into things that you want to study, chances are that most things have been discussed. Their are alot of great places to get great products, but I recommend piers or tst.

Last but not least check into the KDP if you dont already know about it.

Soon you will laugh at gassers!!
Old 09-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Banned

on a 160 pump, I'd go w/ the 4k GSK.

Forrest