Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Dyno'd SMARTY

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The catcher ain't on my truck.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AggieJustin
We'll find out how well it works (again)...mine is on it's way.
All right! Justins getting Smarter!!
Now just needs to get louder (turbo)!

RJ
Old 03-24-2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
working on it...gotta sell my other stuff first so i have the cash for a smarty

i have tried a smarty on #8 already and i was sad whent he guy had to take it back out after letting me try it. it was an animal. comp on 3x3 from a 40mph roll in 4th gear on dry pavement it started spinning the tires and the axle was hopping so i let out. thats a BAAAAADDDDD combo if it makes an 7600lbs truck break traction from a roll on dry pavement
I am a bit confused....I am listening to the VERY positive comments on the Smarty, including this wheelspin remark, but it is also being stated that the box is a 60hp unit. That doesn't seem to equate to me. I have the TS Ramifier which claims more like 100hp and 250 tq., and while I have not dynoed, I can very easily believe it. It seems to fall into the class of "Low-End Boxes" and I am very happy with it, but there is no way I get this kind of wheel spin, even with some other mods. I am not knocking the Smarty, BUT What Gives???
Old 03-24-2006, 10:46 AM

I never got wheel spin (DID slip my clutch)........but i can say that it was a NIGHT and Day difference! Its not really about tire shredding HP on this tuner, its adjustability and responsiveness. Off the line is unreal...and it gives good power mid to upper (not unlike a timing module) RPM. A good way to compare the Smarty to the Other Modules out there is "Fuller". You get a fuller power band.....plus some nifty little extras that we found out on that 15* North Texas Day!!! Its a great product......
Old 03-24-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by HaulinBut
I am a bit confused....I am listening to the VERY positive comments on the Smarty, including this wheelspin remark ....... but there is no way I get this kind of wheel spin, even with some other mods. I am not knocking the Smarty, BUT What Gives???
It's another advangate of an auto tranny... IMO anyway. Unless you WANT a spin.

Shifters can spin a lot easier! To spin an auto, you need to be on gravel, wet pavement... or "power brake" (which you do not want to do without a Billet input shaft). May be a different story with 410 rear (or a 3rd Gen with 3.73 rear) ...I've never driven either one hard.

I've heard more than one auto owner speak of spinning tires.... only to find out the road was wet... or he had an open rear end and was going around a corner with one tire light.
Best be believe it... only after you see it

I will say... at WOT and about 15 or 20 MPH, when my turbo kicks in... i can lay rubber, in 2WD, if I want to!

RJ
Old 03-24-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rjohnson
All right! Justins getting Smarter!!
Now just needs to get louder (turbo)!

RJ
I'm all for louder...even though everyone tells me I'm loud enough already with the straight pipe.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Chapter President

I will say... at WOT and about 15 or 20 MPH, when my turbo kicks in... i can lay rubber, in 2WD, if I want to!

RJ
The first time I matted the pedal on a slow roll with the TST, turbo spooled and so did the tires. I even got some rubber in second.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:53 PM

OK.....I guess the question I should really be asking is: Has anyone compared the Smarty to the TS Ramifier? Also, I would like to know if there is credible evaluation of the Smarty's mileage mode. Good Thread.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HaulinBut
OK.....I guess the question I should really be asking is: Has anyone compared the Smarty to the TS Ramifier? Also, I would like to know if there is credible evaluation of the Smarty's mileage mode. Good Thread.

HaulinBut the common rail smarty is not yet available. You are trying two compare to different products.

The common rail smarty will HaulBut for sure

Last edited by Bob Wagner; 03-24-2006 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-24-2006, 04:12 PM

Rowland and I took a trip to Waco just recently in the Milage mode. We headed down South with a pretty strong head wind. Then back up with a tail wind. All and all, we gained about 1-1.5 MPG off hand caculated figures......Correct me if im wrong RJ.

Dan
Old 03-24-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
OK, the postal truck must have sampled my Smarty. I didn't see any fingerprints and they didn't take the 100 Grand...but it got here a day early, so I know they must have plugged in into their delivery truck. Needless to say, I'm happy.

Now it's time to go play....I've got 3.5 hours of road time tonight.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:42 PM

It's another advangate of an auto tranny... IMO anyway. Unless you WANT a spin.

Shifters can spin a lot easier! To spin an auto, you need to be on gravel, wet pavement... or "power brake" (which you do not want to do without a Billet input shaft). May be a different story with 410 rear (or a 3rd Gen with 3.73 rear) ...I've never driven either one hard.

I've heard more than one auto owner speak of spinning tires.... only to find out the road was wet... or he had an open rear end and was going around a corner with one tire light.
Best be believe it... only after you see it

RJ
I will say, through personal experience, that autos can break traction on dry pavement at speeds over 75 mph...scarry!

Joanthan
Old 03-24-2006, 09:17 PM

HaulinBut, like Bob stated, you're trying to compare different mods on different engines. For comparison, I was able to get a 4th gear scratch with my truck(DD3's and Smarty) when before I couldn't even get a 3rd gear scratch(EZ and DD3's).... I have no doubt that the Smarty for the 3rd Gen is going to be insane..... just ask those who think they will follow my little 245 hp diesel
Old 03-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Banned

With my setup on dry pavement I can spin both rear tires quite a bit at will from a dead stop without powerbraking it, any moisture on the road and forget it it's 4wd time only. If I remove my VanAaken which was stacked with the "CATCHER", then it won't spin them anymore on dry pavement from a dead stop(unless I rev from 900-1000rpm). Just with the "CATCHER" it just takes off with no tire spin, slightly less jumpiness of the throttle, and it's not quite as fast.

This must be the reason I somehow can't remove the VanAaken, or replace the little instaspool HY-35 turbo, it's a hoot to drive daily beating most vehicles from the lights, or from a roll. I've got a pretty well matched system overall, and don't really want to mess with it . Although I am going to try a very slightly used Phatshaft 62/12 very soon, and see how well it will spool up(I've already got a buyer for it if I don't like it). My egt's are not a problem now either.

RJ I'm not in total agreement with your statement(my truck seems to contradict this), but I would suspect most guys have also put on bigger turbo's with their mods, and also have a tighter converter and a lower stall speed than what I have, and therefore they would lose some bottom end spoolup and takeoff power, but gain more mid to upper end power. JMO
Old 03-27-2006, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by TORQUE
...I would suspect most guys have also put on bigger turbo's with their mods, and also have a tighter converter and a lower stall speed than what I have, and therefore they would lose some bottom end spoolup and takeoff power, but gain more mid to upper end power. JMO
Absolutely correct!... Thanks TORQUE. It's been 3 yrs since I was stock but I vaguely remember spinning some stock tires with just an EZ, DD3's and an HY-35!
How quickly we forget!!

RJ

Quick Reply: Dyno'd SMARTY