Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Dyno this Saturday, what settings should I run?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dyno this Saturday, what settings should I run?

My plans are:

1. Adrenaline for the first run using my favorite custom tuning settings.
Fuel Stretch 2200
Timing 10*
Pump max 100
Pump min 0
Can max 100
can min 0
Boost scaling 20

2. The second run will be Redline/Smarty.....What settings?
3. If time allows, I want Redline/Adrenaline stack as 3rd run.

I'm not sure if time will allow me to change the Smarty setting between runs, but I'm hoping for this! Also, what gear should be used in my nv4500?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should dyno in 4th gear or 1:1 ratio in the tranny. If you can't build sufficient boost, have them ride the brakes a little or try 5th gear.

If I were you, I'd BS the dyno operator a bit about letting you do a few more runs. I'd try turning the fuel stretch down to 1600 and running PL 7 or 8. I'll bet you make more peak HP on that setting than your favorite settings although your favorite will most likely make more area under the curve=more average HP.

You might try your favorite sled pulling tune as well to see how much HP you're making pulling 32-3600 rpm down the track!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Banned

Wierd thing is, my truck feels weak at anything below 1800 [fuel stretch]. Quad has stated that 1800 gives best numbers on his dyno, but my truck feels like it doubles power from 1800-2200. I'm lost?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may have a freak of a pump that loves fuel stretch. Personally would try more than one Adrenaline setting as it seems some of the higher HP trucks found another 20-30 HP by tweaking things one way or the other just on different PL's. I know you want back to back Adrenaline vs Redline but it will be difficult to get both tuned-in with just 3 total run. It probably wont matter which settings you run, I think the Adrenaline is going to make more HP further into the high RPM's.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J Lent
Wierd thing is, my truck feels weak at anything below 1800 [fuel stretch]. Quad has stated that 1800 gives best numbers on his dyno, but my truck feels like it doubles power from 1800-2200. I'm lost?
Direct drive for load dynos and overdrive for dynojets. The settings that feel the best on the street may very well not make more power on the dyno. Its probably making more power up to a certain rpm with the lower fuel stretch, but the peak is a little higher and later with the less stretch giving the higher hp number. Remember that hp is just a function of torque and its relation to rpm so the later the peak the higher the number. Also remember that those new valve springs will cost power, but the sticks ought to make up the difference and then some =P
Old 11-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
You may have a freak of a pump that loves fuel stretch. Personally would try more than one Adrenaline setting as it seems some of the higher HP trucks found another 20-30 HP by tweaking things one way or the other just on different PL's. I know you want back to back Adrenaline vs Redline but it will be difficult to get both tuned-in with just 3 total run. It probably wont matter which settings you run, I think the Adrenaline is going to make more HP further into the high RPM's.
My main concern is seeing where my truck makes power for the sled pulls. I am not too worried about posting big numbers, just want to see how the 2 boxes fuel. I posted about the Adrenaline pulling over 4k on the street & I got laughed at. I can't feel the power drop off & I want to know if I'm atleast making 200hp at 4k. That is my main concern, the rest of the reason is to keep my promise to the guys on here. I told everyone that I would dyno if I could find one & I'm a man of my word.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
Direct drive for load dynos and overdrive for dynojets. The settings that feel the best on the street may very well not make more power on the dyno. Its probably making more power up to a certain rpm with the lower fuel stretch, but the peak is a little higher and later with the less stretch giving the higher hp number. Remember that hp is just a function of torque and its relation to rpm so the later the peak the higher the number. Also remember that those new valve springs will cost power, but the sticks ought to make up the difference and then some =P
I'm not sure if the guy who owns the dyno will do the runs or if he will let us run them. I have never been on a dyno myself, not sure how to do it? If I do get to run it myself, Is this how its done? Get to steady speed of about 20-30mph through 5th gear, then hammer down?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:58 PM

usually denis runs the truck and as you said gets it into 5th at low speed and lets it fly.
4th dosent work out so well on the dyno
Old 11-18-2008, 06:00 PM

anybody who is in the area is welcome to come join us in latrobe pa at the dyno.
just get ahold of me for info and directions

it is a dynojet and has just been upgraded to read up to 2000ftlbs and 200 mph
Old 11-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gotslicks

it is a dynojet and has just been upgraded to read up to 2000ftlbs and 200 mph
Good! They'll need that upgrade when I get on there.My brother is coming down too. Think his dually will fit?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 PM

if it dont we can take the outside wheels off and run it
guarenteed to fit then
Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gotslicks
if it dont we can take the outside wheels off and run it
guarenteed to fit then
That works for me. Do you know if he will allow us to change Smarty settings between runs? I will also need to switch my pump tap from ADR to redline [quick tap, spade terminals].
Old 11-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Banned

Tomorrow is the day guys & I am ready to roll. Last time I dynoed was 476/936. Totally different setup & I'm hoping to break 500 this time. Any guesstimates before the big day?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:47 PM

I'd say you're gonna be around 515 rwhp. Thats my guess.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by J Lent
That works for me. Do you know if he will allow us to change Smarty settings between runs? I will also need to switch my pump tap from ADR to redline [quick tap, spade terminals].
i basically have free range of the place
just get a plan together so he knows what you want to do on the dyno

Quick Reply: Dyno this Saturday, what settings should I run?