Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Dyno Numbers with Nitro Methane

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Figured I'd dig this up, I did some numbers on it.

I won't post the whole process, if you really want it, ask and I will. But the gist is this:

A 1/3 mix of nitro and 2/3 biodiesel will provide about 50% more power than biodiesel alone, if fully fueled (using up all available air).

It will require 87% more fuel delivery into the combustion chamber on every stroke.

For about 600RWHP, it will cost about $7.50/min more than if you were running biodiesel alone and just shoving more air into the motor with a compound setup. This works out to be quite a bit cheaper than nitrous, like a 1/3-1/4 of the cost. This isn't counting the extra expense of having a fuel pump/injectors/delivery valves that are larger than if you were using fuel/nitrous alone.

As stated previously, more BTUs of fuel in the same amount of air will mean hotter EGTs, and water injection would almost certainly need to be employed to control that.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AnArKey
FYI, you want to buy stuff like this:

https://www.pricechemical.com/Nitromethane.html

So long as you are smoking pretty bad at WOT now, adding nitro should net good power. Really should have at least 25% bio-diesel in the mix. Make note of % concentration and the resulting power gain.
That's really the key is SMOKING BADLY.

Simply mixing in some nitro will NOT increase power. In fact, you'll probably lose power because you are replacing a high BTU fuel with a very low BTU fuel.

The only reason Nitro adds power to a regular drag engine is that the incredibly high fuel volume allowed by the self-oxygenation more than offsets the loss of BTUs by volume.

I *can* see nitro as an additive having the effect of delaying the "quench" point where you put the fire out-- since the additional oxygen will allow the combustion of more diesel fuel. This could help spool a larger single when you dump in massive amounts of fueling.

As for the cetane/octane comment, that's mostly true, but also self-contradictory because the very qualities the make a great diesel fuel (readiness of autoignition) are the very things you want to avoid in anything that's in the cylinder before the injector pops.

JMO
Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 PM

I'm suggesting nitro mixed in with diesel ONLY. NEVER put nitro through the intake. It WILL pop during compression, there's almost no doubt.

Methanol through intake, doable. Nitro MUST be mixed with the diesel. I like the idea of having 2-5 gallon fuel cell with the nitro/biodiesel mix, which you switch to a few seconds before you get on it. Running the nitro mix all the time would get VERY expensive.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:42 PM

this is very interesting cant wait to see if someone try's it out with the proper situation and mixtures to see what could truely be gained by doing this
Old 01-21-2008, 11:59 AM

WOW ..............................who is willing to try a mixture of that ratio? WON"T BE ME!!!! I will be testing some new fuel mixtures here next month which will include Nitropropane with biodiesel. IMO this is a MUCH safer and smarter choice and will work well with high RMP senarios.

Looking forward to seeing some Nitromethane testing documented from whom ever is brave enough to try this one!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wimps!

Who'll be the first to try hydrazine?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If I had the Scott Air pack required for handling the stuff, I'd consider it

NOT! Might as well run straight hydrogen peroxide. There's a reason the stuff in the pharmacy is only a 3% solution