Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Dyno Numbers with Nitro Methane

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stuckey200224
any of you guys ever go to an nhra event and watch the top fuel cars and see what happens when the blower hicups (in a word BOOM really big fire ) theres nothing left but pieces to pick up still id love to be there when you all try it
but we are talking about using it in a whole different way. we are talking about injecting it in to the chamber, under compression. it would never be in any other part of the motor. usally when a nitro car has a hickup it is because the fuel/air mixture below the blower gets ignited.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's right Mike - I posted about injecting nitro last year and every one thought I was a Mad Scientist.

If you introduce it into the engine properly, and use it wisely, nitromethane's chemical attributes offer some unique benefits to a HPCR turbo diesel.
I remember when the buzz was "NO2 will explode your Cummins" (some still say that ), when in reality - nitrous + turbo diesel is a great & safe combo - as long as restraint is excersized with the heavy fueling!

Still, it'd be best to have an spare CTD to invent with...
Old 06-02-2007, 12:38 PM

i think it is a great idea to play around with it and see what happens/ i just wish i had a dyno i could afford to play on.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:01 PM

Wanted to pull up this old thread, well, because it's the kinda stuff I love. I used to sell methanol injection kits a few years back, before Snow Performance put me out of buisness. Was injecting massive amounts into a turbocharged Supra, I think I got up to 50% of BTU content as methanol. I know a good deal about fuel dynamics, in gas and diesel motors. Anyway.....

Nitro is basically liquid oxygen, with a little bit of fuel/heat energy. Having oxygen and heat energy in the same molecule, it's basically an explosive. That's what all explosives have, oxygen and heat energy all wrapped up together. Let the reaction start, and BOOM. For instance, pour a little puddle of nitromethane on a concrete floor. Throw a match on it. Match goes out. Now (if you want to die), hit that puddle with a big hammer real hard. You will probably end up with that hammer embedded in your skull from the resulting explosion.

So, I would NEVER, EVER put nitro through the intake. It's almost sure to pre-ignite, violently, once a sufficient (and unknown) density is achieved. Shattered pistons for sure.

Now, putting it in your diesel fuel, seems perfectly reasonable. You are simply packaging some oxygen into your fuel, which as we all know, isn't available for combustion until the piston is in the correct position to use it. Oil contamination shouldn't be a issue like with spark ignited dragsters. They literally drown the intake in the stuff. Mixed with the diesel, nitro would not exist as a liquid anywhere near the oil. It burns up the instant it hits the combustion chamber, just like the diesel.

Now a couple things will change. It's going to get hotter in there. It's not like nitrous that adds tons of cooling along with it's oxygen. So I'd say use it in conjunction with water injection to prevent elevated temperatures from melting pistons. Just like nitrous, you will be able to inject more fuel, and burn it for power. If you keep the same quantity of fuel injected, you are likely to lose power if you aren't smoking like crazy. If you were smoking, then the smoke should go down and the power come up. It's all a balancing act of oxygen/fuel.

Just use the same fueling mindset as using nitrous, with the added facet of needing in-cylinder cooling (water injection).

The only wild card left is the effect on the fuel lines, lift pump, and main injection pump. Nitromethane is known for being harsh and having little to no lubrication value. It's also very expensive. For these two reasons, I'd run a second small fuel tank that contains a nitromethane/bio-diesel mix, and switch to it as desired. The second tank means you only use the $$$ fuel when you need it, and the bio-diesel should provide ample fuel lubricity.

Lastly, do not use the mixes in the hobby shops. They are mostly methanol, and you don't want alcohol in your compression fuel. It will just hurt your ignition quality. Get the purest nitromethane you can find, and mix it with pure bio-diesel.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alright, no one else wants to play around with FIRE? I'm kind of thinking that I might be able to get some really high numbers for Quad to report for the Adrenaline, maybe 600 HP 1200 ftlb, what do you all think? What dyno is the undisputed most accurate measurement of power?
Old 12-29-2007, 06:40 PM

FYI, you want to buy stuff like this:

https://www.pricechemical.com/Nitromethane.html

So long as you are smoking pretty bad at WOT now, adding nitro should net good power. Really should have at least 25% bio-diesel in the mix. Make note of % concentration and the resulting power gain.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like to add a little 2 stroke oil to my mix for extra lubrication. I used to run acetone and although it did help starting in cold weather and maybe a slight increase in mileage, it was a pain lug around a jug of highly flammable liquid.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:29 AM

OK sounds like an intresting theory. Not sure I for one would try it. But I am curious what % mixture of Nitro to fuel would be "Safe"?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Banned

little side note on injecting the nitro through a water injection kit.

im sure someone has asked but what if you sprayed diesel through the water injection

im sure a massive smoke increase and a dirty intake but while evry one is experimenting i though i would ask.

i though it would be funny to try and tune.

since it mainly works of egt and boost

when the engine sinced hte egts going up it would spray more DIESEL to try and cool it down

and exponential climb to disaster i would think

any thoughts
Old 12-30-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by chali84
little side note on injecting the nitro through a water injection kit.

im sure someone has asked but what if you sprayed diesel through the water injection

im sure a massive smoke increase and a dirty intake but while evry one is experimenting i though i would ask.

i though it would be funny to try and tune.

since it mainly works of egt and boost

when the engine sinced hte egts going up it would spray more DIESEL to try and cool it down

and exponential climb to disaster i would think

any thoughts

Can you say BOOM! Although it does make HP your headgasket won't last any time at all.... Trust me
Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
Can you say BOOM! Although it does make HP your headgasket won't last any time at all.... Trust me
glad to see somone has tried it

i assume you speak from personal expeience

was the hp gain substantial before it blew
Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 AM

It's pretty simple principle. Anything that goes into the intake should be high octane (to prevent pre-ignition), and anything that goes in during direct injection should be high cetane.

No alcohol in the main fuel. No diesel/nitro/gasoline into the intake. Propane debatable, I think it's octane is too low to be safe. Methanol much better, along with water (which makes it much more stable). Natural gas is much better, but hard to store on board if there are no CNG compressor stations in your area.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Has anybody ever tried to inject either nitro or nitrous into the exhaust manifold to get faster spoolup when the truck is smoking? I think that with the overabundance of fuel in there and the lack of oxygen a good shot (if it ignites) should be able to spool an insanely big twin set even at low engine rpm. When the boost is up the system would need to switch off. I'm thinking mainly about getting big chargers to respond quickly- not for dyno power gains but to get an extremely bombed truck more streetable- no more boost launches in the city at the red light.

AlpineRAM
Old 12-30-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, it has been done - with nitrous, water, CO2, fuel and other nefarious chemicals... usually quite effective at improving spool-up - as well as drastically reducing the MTBF of the turbine.

Best choice for a streetable, reliable vehicle is water injection, with it's low cost/mile (especially for overfueled applications with drive pressure ratios out of whack)... nitrous works well for initial spool and smoke-clearing - but should be initiated with a Hobbs switch and have properly sized pill(s).
Old 12-30-2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by chali84
glad to see somone has tried it

i assume you speak from personal expeience

was the hp gain substantial before it blew

I don't know what the actual HP gain was as I wasn't strapped to a dyno.... But the dang truck pulled much harder, at least for a few seconds.

Quick Reply: Dyno Numbers with Nitro Methane