Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Dumb question about the Blue Chip Cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumb question about the Blue Chip Cover

I have never seen one and wondered how exactly they work? Are they a one time deal or can they be used again on another pump? I have always stripped the wire and soldered it then encased in liquid tape for a permenant connection. Can the way they make connection get corroded? Thanks
Old 12-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Administrator

They came about as a supposedly undetectable way to "pierce" the wire.

There is a screw that the wire from the comp attaches to, it is then screwed down and contacts the cirucit board of the VP44 making the connection.

Yes, they can be removed, taking the truck back to stock condition (apearing so anyway) and reattached, or attached to another truck if need be.

I don't see the connection point corroding,
but you can screw the screw down too tight and crack the circuit board.
I can also see vibrations maybe rubbing the contact point away, if the screw isn't completely touching the board.

Your way is much better, and you obviously aren't worried about avoiding detection.
Actually, the best way to get the connection.

There is no way to avoid detection if the Dealership really wants to look for it anyway.

phox
Old 12-17-2004, 05:57 PM

Hey thanks Phox, I was reading a post about them and wondered how they could hide the fact HP was at work I hope they wont notice the twins..
Old 12-17-2004, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its reusable. What it is, is a piece of Nylon that has been CNC Machined down to imulate the stock plate. Whats differant, is that it has a stud with a lock nut on it installed in the same place where the "Pump Wire" is located under the stock cover. At the end of the stud, it has been turned down to a sharp point. What you do is install the cover in place of the stock. Then with an allen wrench, tighten up the stud to peirce the wire. Then you use the stop nut to lock it down. Then you use an eyelet on the pump wire and intstall it on the stud. Then lock it down with another nut. Thats it. I am sure you could put a dab of gasket sealer on the stud and it would seal just fine. We have one on my bosses truck and works great....just have to have the right Tamper Torx to get the stock pump cover off....which Blue Chips has if you ask.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:05 PM

man....guess you had a few replys since i took that hour long phone call!!!!! haha......Remember to put the yellow paint back on the Torx Screws.......
Old 12-17-2004, 06:09 PM

Good info
Old 12-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Muted User

Be careful trying to reuse the nylon top. The threads will strips out really easy where the pointed piece is that pierces the wire.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:02 PM
Banned

I took mine off and on more times than I can count. Never stripped the threads out. I talked to Blue Chip about cracking the circuit board and they told me that you would pretty much have to turn the screw all the way through the cover before it cracks the board.