Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

dual port twin turbo wastegate actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual port twin turbo wastegate actuator?

is there such a thing? i have messed with my wastegate actuator a lot and i hooked it up to the high pressure side of the secondary turbo, and it opens all the way at anything above 30 psi and the top turbo only makes a difference of about 10 psi, say the bottom turbo is making 20 and the total pressure is 30.. then i hooked the line to the pipe in between the 2 turbos, and the top turbo spikes high till the bottom turbo makes boost like 20-30 then the wastegate opens the wastegate and im right back where i was, what i am looking for is a wastegate actuator that will keep the pressure differential at 30 or so psi. like if the bottom turbo makes 10 i want total to be 40 or if the bottom turbo makes 30 i want the total to be 60.. i am having a hard time explaining it, but what i need is an actuator that has a boost line coming from the bottom turbo to hook up to one side of the diafram and another line that hooks from manifold pressure to the other side of the turbo... is there such a thing? i know how to build one... my friend works at a machine shop, i can do it, but i really want to just buy one that will solve my issues... i think that this type of setup would be optimum for wastegate control...
Old 04-27-2010, 01:51 AM

Thats how basically every external gate is setup.

What turbo are you using? Most S300's, you can shorten the actuator rod to increase the boost, instead of an adjustable elbow. I know thats not exactly what you are wanting. As manifold pressure increases, the pressure ratio on the secondary decreases, if you keep the differential between primary and secondary at 30 psi. That means you are gonna want the wastegate to open up more as the manifold pressure increases, like how it is now.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta be careful with shortening the rod too much as it will pinch the WG from opening fully. Sometimes pressure control is a better strategy. I think I have that problem with my setup.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:02 PM

Pressure control might not be that bad, im gunna try that and see where im at, bbecause that might differentiate itself.. Ill try it!!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:07 PM

something like this would probably work for ya, manifold press to the bottom port and regulated manifold press to the top port to adjust pressures, found them on ebay

Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 PM

Did u really throw pensacola injectors in the trash? I bought a set and i didnt really like them at first but i raised the pressure by puttin a .007 shim under the springs and it made a big difference (: are they really in the trash or can i still buy em off ya?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by banks twinram
Did u really throw pensacola injectors in the trash? I bought a set and i didnt really like them at first but i raised the pressure by puttin a .007 shim under the springs and it made a big difference (: are they really in the trash or can i still buy em off ya?
i pulled them apart and took the shims, the only thing worth salvaging, out of 14 injectors i had it took about 10 different tools to do the same job, none of the parts were the same, all different, and constantly blew up very time i got on it, i might beable to dig up some pieces, but i wouldn't sell that junk to anybody, nothing has ever made me madder than thoes injectors
Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 AM

ok.. lol i hope mine dont blow up, but i guess if they do ill know what the problem is (: that wastegate actuator on ebay is good to like 10 psi, idk if it will handle 30. but it looks like what i might need, i guess i can always get one and try it out, theres another one on there that looks like its made of billet aluminum, did u see that one? it looks a little better quality, but who knows? how do ya like that john deere rack plug? and what about the 60 valve springs? im runnin twins to 4k on stock valve springs, it does something funny at 3500+ but im not exactly sure if its valve float or backpressure issues, are the 60 springs worth it? in your opinion? is the jd plug worth the 13 bux?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 AM

i think i just figured it out,too hard to explain, but ill tell yall if it works or not
Old 04-28-2010, 10:26 AM

thoes gates will work with higher pressures, and they have many different options, just about everything on ebay is directed towards the rice burners, but i have found that i can use quite a bit of that stuff,

the injectors... i failed three of them in less than 1500 miles, the first one droped in less than 10 miles, the second one failed about 10 miles into a 1000 mile trip (the edge filter came loose, and beat the heck out of the inside of the injector, and my line, then completely ruined the injector, they sent me a full other set, and once again it only made it a few miles and droped another cylinder, and that was it!!! not one problem since i installed the DDP's, i wish you could see the different parts they used in a "matched" set of injectors.