Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Dual air filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 08:43 PM
jgn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual air filters

Would there be any benefit to adapting dual air filters going into the turbo or is air intake already at a maximum with an aftermarket filter?
Old 07-24-2005, 09:38 PM

The only benefit I can think of is that you know the air entering the turbo would be extremely filtered. But on the downside of that, you will be reducing air intake, thus reducing overall hp and you might even see higher egts on a mod'ed rig.

Simply put, go with the best and get a Scotty II if you are looking to improve air flow and lower egt's. If you are looking for something more reasonable, then atleast go w/ a bhaf. But please, please stay away from a K&N (do a search and find out why).
Old 07-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Banned

Edit,youd think a diesel driver(esp a CUMMINS diesel) would take the 1 million mile K&N warranty to heart.

Most CAI kits use K&N filters anyway........Ive put K&N's on every car/truck ive owned with zero problems and always more hp and better fuel milage.

All I see in those threads is people Edit that had other problems besides a K&N.They might have wanted to blame it on the K&N but all but the filter coming apart is there fault(cracking of the tube,dont overtighten it),oil in the intake tract(turbo maybe?definetely not CAI related)

Thats the same stupid Edit a dealer tells you who wants to find an excuse to NOT WARRANTY your engine.PURE BS.

I paid $185 shipped for my FIPK from Summit and it has a million mile warranty....
Old 07-24-2005, 10:23 PM

i bought a k&n... held it up to the light, on the outer fold points i could see right through... all the way around... if i can see through and light comes through that clearly... i wouldn't risk that at the sad 14psi i get let alone 30-40+ others are running. on top of that i know i am too lazy to keep it well maintained, so i'd be even worse off!
Old 07-24-2005, 10:26 PM

and if i understood you right jgn you are talking about two different filters feeding together right? like a y collector? i'm sure there has to be someone running that but i think the BHAF gives you enough filter surface to let plenty of air in.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If you're talking about running dual filters (seperately) and having them each piped into the intake, I think the biggest benefit would be the increased surface area for taking in air. Or the ability to run two smaller filters as opposed to a single large filter. Or you could go for something that flows less air (but filters better) and use the increased surface area to keep your total airflow numbers at a optimal level.

I don't think you could really reach the point of maximum airflow for the engine. It will take whatever it has available when that turbo starts spooling up.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:28 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am running two 9" UNI filters into a 'T' that then runs 4 inch smooth bore hose to the turbo.

I can change this to 5" for twins as well. Its a different beast then the 2 gen though. Shaker hood style.

Scotty
Old 07-25-2005, 10:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by broke1

I paid $185 shipped for my FIPK from Summit and it has a million mile warranty....

Yes, but does the warranty cover your engine when the filter ruins it?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:49 PM

If u have space then u can run my set up. For me this is cheapest dual system. Check out the my pic gallery. I put in an airaid drop in stock airbox(same as K&N but cheaper) then connect air box with a 3" 'T' pipe from plumbing store, connect that to a 4" air duct from dryer section leading to the front bumper. hook it up to a 90 degree 3" elbow pipe connect to a 12 in UNI filter($60 from UNI Filter website). The 12 in UNI filter fit perfectly under the front bumper. I also put a thin aluminium sheet in around the front of the UNI filter just in case of rain, keep the rain water from entering the UNI filter. The setup is ghetto but cheap work for me.

Airaid drop in filter $60
UNI filter 60
pipe and hose clamp $20 max

normal driving condition it do not make any sound but when my turbo spool up, I could hear the humming sound coming from the passenger side bumper. Atleast for it satisfying for me with this set up.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
The real biggie with K&N filters is when a person over oils it when they clean it. You have to remember our engines are turbo charged and burn diesel. What I mean by diesel is that our cylinders are very large (more air volume) and have high compression. A turbo in the mix means packing a lot more air into the cylinder.

What does that mean to the filter? A very large demand for air, especially once the turbo spools up. I know the suction against the filter from engine demand is good enough to pull the oil from the filter (some of it not all) and gunk up the turbo, intercooler, and intake pipes. Even more so if the filter gets over oiled. This applied to both variants of the K&N (FIPK and drop in).

Heck I know these filters can be problematic in naturrally aspirated gas engines with mass air sensors.