Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

dtt and suncoast trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dtt and suncoast trans

After doing some reading I have decided to upgrade my trans before I do any power mods. What is the difference between the dtt tq converter and the triple disc converter by suncoast. I don't play on doing anything besides 4 in exhaust and a big hoss programmer, so I am only going to do the tq and the valve body. the truck has 33000 miles on it so I dont' think the trans is hurt.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the DTT is a Fluid Lock up system. Triple Disk is not. I would suggest reading here if you are not familiar with the possible downside of doing only a VB and a TC.
http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=136

If your serious about staying under 350 HP...you may want to rethink the 4" exhaust. Not really necessary at that level unless you just want one.

RJ
Old 01-30-2005, 03:29 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
To put it in a nutshell: DTT makes a TC that's got very good fluid coupling and they seal up all the internal leaks in the tranny to have enough pressure on the TC lockup clutch so it will hold with a single disk.
Other vendors offer a TC as a solution to the main problem of lockup clutch slippage- they'll use multiple disks to make the TC lockup clutch hold under lower pressure. The advantage is that it's cheaper than tearing your transmission apart and replace many of the seals and pistons etc with better stuff to keep it leak free- the downside is that if you have an internal leak and you don't have sufficient pressure to make the weakest of the other clutches hold you did just transfer the problem from the TC lockup clutch to another clutch or band in the tranny.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 01-30-2005, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.gbtransmissions.com/

Give Dave Goerend a call, he has a couple triple disk convertors available. He also has a lifetime guarantee and the best customer service a guy could ask for.

Roman