Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

DTT or Not!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to www.dieseltrans.com & get Bills take on why not just a valve body & torque converter in the forums. I only had 18,000 miles on my 01 when the tranny was giving me trouble. I drove up to Canada & had DTT rebuild my tranny & that was the best $$ I spent on that truck.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by otter
This is all great advice, I will probably go with D$$TT, since they are in my back yard.
Good choice...sounds like a no brainer to me.

D$$TT Stephan say's they are booked solid through the middle of June....
You can thank me for hogging up June 7th for a little more billet ...if their in town that is and not racing.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:15 PM

You can thank me for hogging up June 7th for a little more billet ...if their in town that is and not racing.[/QUOTE]

Should have known someone here beat me to the punch ! But, from what I here from all of you here...... The wait will be worth it.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by tankeryanker
Go to www.dieseltrans.com & get Bills take on why not just a valve body & torque converter in the forums. I only had 18,000 miles on my 01 when the tranny was giving me trouble. I drove up to Canada & had DTT rebuild my tranny & that was the best $$ I spent on that truck.
Thanks for the confidence builder, tankeryanker!!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:51 PM

I drove 400 miles to DTT five years and 144K ago with a brand new truck with just under 1K miles on it. Just cause I wanted to, I've been back for service and upgrades a number of times (worked Piers into the trips, as well)

I don't think the price range Stefan is discussing is out of line, and I assure you these folks will do right by you. You get to hang out in the shop and watch Bill do his magic. It's a fun experience.

I think Paul B has said he has something like 600 1/4 mile runs on his DTT.

I'd do it again, with no hesitation.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:41 PM

With only 20k miles on a healthy transmission I would not hesitate in the least to only do a torque converter, and VB and save yourself some money. I feel like with those 2 mods you will be in fine shape for a long time... I dont really understand why everyone is always against just doing a VB, and TC. Sure, its not as good as a full tranny, but darn it sure is a lot cheaper and will still last a long time as long as you arent running crazy power. I really dont feel like there is any need in getting rid of a perfectly good tranny when you arent planning on running power past its limits anyway after the TC, and VB are installed. As for who's parts to use. Its just personal prefrence I guess. I went with Goerend because of his lifetime warranty on his triple disc, and his customer service. If you are planning on having it installed by someone else anyway, and you are that close to DTT, then drive over, and have them put a TC, and VB in it.

Also; as was mentioned...I have heard a lot of good about Dunrite; and have heard they make a very solid product.

Eric
Old 04-27-2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
If you are planning on having it installed by someone else anyway, and you are that close to DTT, then drive over, and have them put a TC, and VB in it. Eric
Not sure if I would feel to comfortable walking into D$$TT and telling them what I want done vs. letting them tell me what needs to be done. I appreciate all the posts and advice, I'm sure it will help me make the right decision.

I have the BOMBER bug pretty bad and will probably upgrade the turbo after the tranny work. Wish I had started this years ago. Not sure what I should do after the transmission and turbo?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Banned

Injectors.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if I would need everything DTT and Stephan was not sure what I would need with such low miles on her. He gave me a quote from 2000-3800. Depending on what they found when they go through it.
I know that's not cheap...but it's a fair price for a full rebuild.... and an honest answer. I did mine at 20,000 miles (knew where I was headed) and was surprised at some of the wear & tear with only an EZ on it for a short time.

If you have the "bombing Bug", as you say, and plan on keeping your CTD as long as most of us, do the full rebuild... do it once... and throw the bombs at it with no worries for several years.

Good Luck

RJ
Old 04-27-2006, 07:54 AM

I ended up going with a DTT since having anyone elses transmission shipped and installed would have been really close in price, plus with the DTT Ive got a local installer to support the installation afterwards. Pretty good warranty also.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Injectors.
Yup, Injectors as well. Put in the 275's when I was even more ignorant than I am now with Bombing. I've made some mistakes, but in the end it will be right...... May have to add 10yrs. to my retirement date to make it right.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
I know that's not cheap...but it's a fair price for a full rebuild.... and an honest answer. I did mine at 20,000 miles (knew where I was headed) and was surprised at some of the wear & tear with only an EZ on it for a short time.

If you have the "bombing Bug", as you say, and plan on keeping your CTD as long as most of us, do the full rebuild... do it once... and throw the bombs at it with no worries for several years.

Good Luck

RJ
It's only money and I can't take it with me. Right R.J.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:04 PM

I am going DTT. Once I accumulate the master rebuild kit, VB, TC and some other things like servos, accumulators etc, I am going to make an appt with my nearest DTT builder about a days drive away. Will they normally be able to drop, rebuild and reinstall a tranny in one day including the master rebuild kit ?
Old 04-27-2006, 12:16 PM

It's one very long day.
The DDT installer in the Dallas area always asks for 2 days - gives time to work carefully, test drive, readjust, etc. I don't remember him saying but somewhere I got the impression it's 12 hrs of workbench time just to do the rebuild. I certainly did not want to rush him
Others may work faster but with his 20 yrs expirience, my guess is 12 hrs is about right, for a one man shop.

RJ
Old 04-27-2006, 12:19 PM

Thanks. I figured it would at least be a FULL day if not more. Sure want to give em time to do all the final tweaking to since I am so far away. It'll be a while before I am at that step.

Quick Reply: DTT or Not!!