Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

DTT or Not!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DTT or Not!!

Just talked to Stephan at DTT$$$$$$$$$!!

Not being much of a bomber, I have had the modifications that you see in my signature for only 1000 miles and my truck currently has 20,000 originall miles. From reading all of the posts on Auto Trans. It sounds like I'm on borrowed time. I tow a travel trailer that at the most fully loaded would be just shy of 9000#. Should I go with DTT or is there something else I could do without throwing $$$$$ away and going with DTT in the end?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:43 PM

www.gbtransmissions.com give Dave Goerend a call.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned

DTT makes one heckuva a nice product but they are very pricey. I'm running just their VB and putting down the numbers in my sig but I don't haul anything other than butt. If all your planning is doing is just the comp and 275's then I suggest that you call up Dave at Goerend and get his triple disk and vb. It'll be a ton cheaper than DTT and will hold the power your putting through it just fine. Now if you wanted to go over 450+hp then I'd say just do DTT and be done with it.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:48 PM

Depends on your goals...Talk to Dave Goerend if you're going mild, less than 450-500. Go with DTT above that...at least that's my personal opinion.

If anything else, talk to everyone who builds a tranny, and go with the one who treats you the best AND makes a reputable product
Chris
Old 04-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Since you're in WA, I'm assuming you'd drive up and have them do the install...which would be worth every penny IMHO. I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
Depends on your goals...Talk to Dave Goerend if you're going mild, less than 450-500. Go with DTT above that...at least that's my personal opinion.

If anything else, talk to everyone who builds a tranny, and go with the one who treats you the best AND makes a reputable product
Chris
As far as any other mods in the furture..... Maybe, replace the HY, probabaly will quit there. Was looking at DTT only because they are basically in my backyard. My local shop who has a pretty good reputation around here suggested just a T/C and a Shift kit???????? Would like to go with the DTT, but don't have a wheel barrell full of $$$$$ laying around right now.

Bottom line..... If I leave my wife on the side of the road with Trans. trouble.... I'm dead.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If not adding more HP and just looking for a towing tranny... I would check with all the big 3 or 4 rebuilders.
That being said, DTT will give you a tranny that will be trouble free for 200,000 - 300,000 miles, if you take care of it. They are just about indestructable... and by the time you get as much from others, you will be within 5% of the cost! Other do a good job...nobody does it better than DTT, IMO. Do you need everything DTT offers in the way of upgrades?? Your call.

Also, Did you ask Stephen about a modified upgrade as opposed a full rebuild? They use to have something like that.
With DTT being in your area, I see an advantage to dealing locally, if close in price.

RJ

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by J Double
Since you're in WA, I'm assuming you'd drive up and have them do the install...which would be worth every penny IMHO. I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for.

They are only about 15-20mi. away...... That's what makes it so tempting. Just want to make sure I do it right. If I had read all of the posts and advice before I started the mods...... Probably would have done transmission first.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
If not adding more HP and just looking for a towing tranny... I would check with all the big 3 or 4 rebuilders.
That being said, DTT will give you a tranny that will be trouble free for 200,000 - 300,000 miles, if you take care of it. They are just about indestructable... and by the time you get as much from others, you will be within 5% of the cost! Do you need everything DTT offers in the way of upgrades?? Your call.

Also, Did you ask Stephen about a modified upgrade as opposed a full rebuild? They use to have something like that.
With DTT being in your area, I see an advantage to dealing locally, if close in price.

RJ
Not sure if I would need everything DTT and Stephan was not sure what I would need with such low miles on her. He gave me a quote from 2000-3800. Depending on what they found when they go through it.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:14 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I've had real good luck with my DTT so I'm biased. Since you live in DTT's backyard,I'd go with them. If I lived in the midwest I'd consider Dave Goerend's product as his reputation is great and he would be fairly close. It's important to live within a close proximity of your installer and to trust their skill.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:21 PM

you also have dunrite there close to you . they build a good set up tony the owner of dunrite is one of the guys that put suncoast together back in the day but parted ways with them when he moved out west . so that could be a option for you . his website is www.dunriteconverters.com
Old 04-26-2006, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upgrading the tranny is a hard choice. Just like putting gauges in. It's so much more appealing to install injectors, put a box on, new turbo, etc. It's hard to believe how much better our trucks drive after putting a performance tranny in it. I would suggest that you go for a ride in a truck that has a DTT tranny in it, and see what you think. If you can, go for a rides in trucks that have other companies trans in them, and see what you like best. They do not all drive the same. I don't think any are bad, just different. I would be glad to give you a ride, if you are ever in my area, or happen to be at one of the NHRDA races. There is a race May 10, in Kent, WA.

Doing the trans is not just about durability, but driveability as well.

Paul
Old 04-26-2006, 05:32 PM

Well for my first post I must say I love my DTT and have not ever thought any different. I think it will all depend on what you do with your truck and what your looking to get from it. Check all the options listed above and you will make the right choice. Good luck with your transmission shopping!
Old 04-26-2006, 05:33 PM

Ask about warranty...

Talk to the "other ones" and ask them about their warranty. Then ask to see the fine print. You may be surprised. I am not going to bash any of the others, but there are plenty of people on here that could. I know of a few instances where certain products were not backed. That is a load of you know what. Especially after you sink your cash into it, and a lot of it, for the company to say that you must have been doing something intentional to cause it. UNBELIEVABLE...
I am pretty sure that with DTT, you are covered no matter where you are. There are Certified DDT builders throughout the country. So, you are never too far away. Heck, since you live right there, there's nothing better than the source!!!
I would also recommend looking at exactly what you get from the others. Not all parts are the same.
Obviously your application would determine what exactly you need. I can tell you from experience that it's not always wise to save a little now. It'll end up costing you later. Maybe that's just my luck???
Good Luck.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the invite Paul, I would love to take you up on it... But I'm locked in at work for a couple of months.

This is all great advice, I will probably go with D$$TT, since they are in my back yard. I guess I was just hoping you guy's would tell me that my Auto Transmission would be just fine the way it is and go ahead and tear some rubber off

D$$TT Stephan say's they are booked solid through the middle of June, so I have a couple of weeks to make up my mind. Maybe in the mean time I will find a pot of gold.

Quick Reply: DTT or Not!!