Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

DTT 89% and 92% and towing....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTT 89% and 92% and towing....

Who has these TC's and tows?
What are you towing/how heavy and how often?
Whould you suggest these for towing?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Chapter President

I'm heading back to the shop so I'd like to know what you all think soon.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 02:55 AM

DTT doesn't use the % method much anymore.

But I used to have an 89% in the first build. I did not tow heavy, but could have easily. I have pulled very heavy loads with that TC and I never had a bit of an issue. A great converter with tighter than factory stall.

Keep in mind that gear ratio, tire height, final gear ratio, power, altitude, total weight and carious other factors should be looked at when selecting a TC. It's not a one size fits all.

In my case, 3.54 gear needed a looser converter than a equally equipped 4.10 gear truck.

Also, the TC has no effect as soon as you hit lockup, so we are really only talking about getting up to speed and the efficiency in 1st, 2nd and some of 3rd. As the TC locks in Drive and OD, the stall is much less of an issue.

Dave
Old 04-24-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is a 91% Suncoast single disc and it really puts the power to the ground. I normally tow @ 8-9K and it does a great job. When Dusty built mine I specifically told him I wanted a towing set up and this is what he suggested. He also said that a triple disc would require billet shafts to be safe but I could probably get away with stock shafts but I'm not that brave.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I have an 89% in my DTT build. Been in for well over 100k now and no complaints at all. I tow 12k+ (tandem axle dually gooseneck) but usually in the 5k(camping trailer) range when I do. Tow 15-20 times a year between the two of them.
From what I understand about them I would rather have the 89 over the 91 for towing. Though I have not towed with a 91 and am sure it can tow just fine.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Turbo choice is also relevant to converter selection. If you have a large turbo the spools later, you MUST have a looser converter to allow the engine to flash up into its operating range (i.e., the rpm where the turbo will let the engine make power). A big laggy turbo and a tight 93% converter is a recipe for towing misery.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Efficiency and "tightness" are often confused. Tightness is a term that is often used instead of torque multiplication. It's hard to have an efficient converter that has high torque multiplication. Not impossible, just difficult. A converter that has a lot of torque multiplication could make it hard to spool large turbos. This is because for each amount of input torque the output torque is greater, making it harder to increase in RPM. This is typical of converters with a "bull nose" stator. These are also known to really launch hard at the drag strip, and have a "tight" feel on the street. The down side to these is that they are not very efficient. Meaning that at cruise speed, the driving speed (engine rpm), is quite a bit higher then the driven speed (tranny input shaft). A triple disc converter may be required at this point. Once the converter clutch locks up, then the efficiency doesn't matter.

Back to the direct question... An 89% DTT works well towing, especially at higher altitudes. The best thing to do though is give DTT a call. They know there converters better then anyone else does. I ran an 89% DTT for along time.

Paul
Old 04-24-2008, 07:02 PM
The Guru

Go with the hi stall. The convert I have works pretty sweet. Fast turbo spools and nice cruise engagement. I rather have a hi stall as you have more HP/Torque off the line and you have more air flow to spool the turbo-up. Win-Win. You are towing in OD and lock-up right? I just tow a 12k trailer. You might have to run a bigger transmission cooler. I'm using a electric fan transmission oil cooler and its set to turn-on at 140 deg's.