Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Is the DSS steering brace a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the DSS steering brace a good idea?

Man guys I have quite a bit of slack and the "death wobble" and am curious to see if that DSS will cure most of it. I know it cost $150 bucks but if it has proven it self to you guys then I see it as cheap insurance for my steering box. Thanks Aaron
Old 08-15-2004, 08:23 AM

I dont see it cureing the death wobble. I know my dads truck had a bad trac bar for who knows how long and it trashed the lower seal in the steering box so the unit was leaking. We put the DSS brace on and it dosent leak anymore. I would say the brace protects your steering box. And at the cost of a new steering box. Best rebuilt price I can find is around 600$? its deffintly agood idea to get. We have 2 of them
Old 08-15-2004, 09:31 AM

Oh yes it will cure the death wobble and with the new TRACK-BAR bracket which allows you to put a 03 track bar on, your worrys are over,no more track bar problems,I never thought Dodge steering could be fixed but Solid Steel makes these trucks steer like a caddy.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:46 AM

We still had the death wobble on both trucks after installing the DSS from solid steel. On both of our trucks our trac bars went bad again after the DSS kit was installed and we both got the death wobble. He said his was really bad and it happend 12 times on the way home. Mine only happend twice but I almost crashed it the 2nd time. I have the 03 trac bar upgrade now from solid steel. Some problems installing but im sure thats just me. That should fix everything though
Old 08-16-2004, 06:56 AM

My friend has a 94 5-speed 4x4 CTD that has a new track bar, new allignment and tire ballence with a recently replaced set of front shocks. His steering box has plenty-o-play, so we will see as soon as I can get one if it helps him or not. I will be puting one on my truck as well, but for some reason mine does'nt wobble to bad YET, and hopefully it wont start. just my .002
Old 08-16-2004, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by SHARPMACHINE
My friend has a 94 5-speed 4x4 CTD that has a new track bar, new allignment and tire ballance with a recently replaced set of front shocks. His steering box has plenty-o-play, so we will see as soon as I can get one if it helps him or not. Right now he has to white knuckle it alot. I will be puting one on my truck as well, but for some reason mine does'nt wobble to bad YET, and hopefully it wont start. just my .002
Old 08-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The death wobble is most likely the trac bar. I have both of the Solid Steel products and I will say again.... Best bucks I have ever spent..Hands down.

J-eh
Old 08-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Banned

Do yall know if the DSS brace will work with a skyjacker suspension lift?
Old 08-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BigBlue
Do yall know if the DSS brace will work with a skyjacker suspension lift?
Yes.

You just pretend the sway bar extension brackets are the orginal sway bar mounting points.

Not sure how it'll mount to mine, since my sway bar fell off about a year ago,
might have to dig it back out of the junk pile to get the hardware for it.

I need to get me one of them DSS's, I think it'll be my next BOMB project.

Their new trac bar bracket won't work however, but they are working on a setup for lifted trucks.

phox
Old 08-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Banned

Sweet deal. After the lift/wheels, and another little thing , this is my next project.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:35 AM

i have the DSS and DTB kits,and new steering box,it's hard to believe it's the same truck
Old 08-17-2004, 09:34 AM

The worn track bar does not cause the death wobble, but it does contribute to it. Steering box slop contributes as well, as do worn tie rod ends and ball joints.

The underlying problem that causes the death wobble is caster shimmy. Our trucks like a lot of front caster.

I replaced the track bar. Death wobble came back. I installed the DSS. Death wobble came back. Rod ends and ball joints were good. Aligned per spec on Dave Fritz's site, no more death wobble. IIRC, 3.2* left, 3.5* right, .3 cross caster.
Alignment cams on the upper ball joint are the way to go. Don't let the shop crank the cross caster in with the adjustment cams on the lower control arms, it puts a bind on the axle housing.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:48 AM
DRD

Who's a dealer for these things? I've tried e-mailing Solid Steele 3 or 4 times with no response, maybe they don't deal direct with the public???
Old 08-17-2004, 11:16 AM

DRD,

They asked me to call enterprise eng. performance (740) 246-6329, but being in canada you may want to call them direct at (306) 842-4346 to see if their is a dist. near you.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by DRD
Who's a dealer for these things? I've tried e-mailing Solid Steele 3 or 4 times with no response, maybe they don't deal direct with the public???
I ordered my Track bar kit from Rip:

http://www.protintnw.com/sa-main.htm

I got the steering bracket last year from Piers:

http://www.piersdiesel.com/

Quick Reply: Is the DSS steering brace a good idea?