Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

DSS is installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSS is installed

Well, I finally ordered my DSS and installed it last night. Very simple install. The only thing I recommend is print off the install with pictures from http://www.solidsteel.ca/Install.htm .

The night before last, I had a friend work the steering wheel while I observed play in the steering components. After the install, I had him do it again and I had to tell him to not work the wheel so much b/c it was moving the tires He said I am moving it the same as last night. So, it had to tighten up the steering at least some. I went ahead and tightened the Allen screw to tighten the steering box and called it an evening.

Today, my steering is so much better. Do have a slight pull to the right, but it was need of an alignment before I started all this anyway. I still have a little play in the wheel, but I think I need to replace a tie rod end, so that is the next step. It already has a new trackbar on about 8k ago, so that is still tight. I have ordered the bushing from Rock Solid and will install this week sometime, if I can squeeze in the time. Early next year I plan on doing the 03 conversion.

Another few pieces and I can start upgrading the power. No use to have something that powerful if I can't drive the darn thing
Old 09-13-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another member starts down the 'slippery slope' of bombing!

You started with one of the best, IMHO. I installed a DSS as PM at 18,000 miles, after hearing all the problems, and still noticed a considerable difference!

RJ
Old 09-13-2006, 02:12 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just put a new steering gear on my truck and now my steering is way better but it still has some play in the wheel an the steering feels a little loose so I belive I just may order the DSS here reall soon. What is this allen screw to tighten the steering your refuring to cause that might be all I need?
Old 09-13-2006, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tighten steering gear box

The allen screw is is visible from the top, however, it was easier to get to from the lower side for me. It is towards the front on top of the box right in middle. You have loosen the nut then turn the allen screw clockwise. O think the nut is a 9/16. not sure on the allen screw, I have about 10 different ones on my tool. You don't want to turn much though, about 1/2 turn each time you adjust it. If you go to far, the steering will be a lot worse than before. Since I have had the truck, I have went 1 full turn.

As far as the real test, I won't pull anything for a few weeks. Until then, I can only go by driving empty, but so far, I really like the change. It is not like my 03 Durango, but I know it never will be, and I don't want it to be. Before it was quite a workout pulling the cattle trailer and driving my crooked roads here in Missouri.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:43 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks ya my steering is so much better since i put the gear on man i can acctully drive and not make me sleepy pulling a trailer guess ill go out an look an maybe move it half a turn an call it good.