Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

DSS added but no miracles :-(

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSS added but no miracles :-(

Excellent product by Solid Steel and great service by Piers. It took about 30-45 minutes to install by myself. The only question I have is should the bearing rotate similar to a sperical rod end? The steering box shaft is not perpendicular to the plate the bearing housing is mounted on.

Unfortunately, on my quick test drive last night I didn't feel a lot of difference which I expected.

I think the steering box is the next part I will throw at the truck. Heck, I've replaced just about every component on the truck.

If that doesn't quicken the steering output to input then I will probably sell the truck and buy another vehicle.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:22 AM

What is your truck currently doing??
Old 09-01-2004, 06:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Not to worry, if I recall correctly DSS's instructions state that the shaft will not be perpendicular to the bearing.

If quicken means to change the ratio of input to output it's pretty obvious that a DSS can't change that. The only thing that will is a steering box with a different ratio.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:34 AM

Where you trying to get rid of play? If their is play inside of the steering box, it can be adjusted, I think, to an extent. Give us some info and hopefully someone can help.

heck i've been waiting about 4 weeks for a dss and just cant get one.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:40 AM

OK on the bearing, I wanted to check to be sure.

It has what I call "lazy" steering, ie, to much steering wheel movement for the wheel movement.

I have adjusted bearing preload and the overcenter adjustment.

I am seriously wondering if the pressure needs to be increased at the pump. It seems logical that higher pressure would make the box respond quicker. I may check the screen that others have referred to and add a shim if I can do that myself.

My hour drive to work was better, it just that the shaft movement was not the biggest contributor to the way the truck drives.

It's a very nice product and I would recommend it in a rambeat
Old 09-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Infidel said it: If you want a quicker steering ratio, you are in for a box swap. These are variable ratio boxes so going to a faster ratio will likely be a negligable difference.

In a hydralic system, increasing pressure will not increase the speed for which the given actuator will operate but will increase the available force it can generate. Higher operating speeds require a change in pump flow. However, typically when the flow increases so does the pressure because pressure is just the measured resistance to flow.

More flow = pump swap.

I you are serious about swapping pumps or boxes you need to contact a company like AGR because simply using a modified pump may not work. You will likely need a different or modified relief valve to accomadate the higher flow. They specialize in modified saginaw pumps.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:31 AM

does the sector shaft have play in it before the DSS,how about the track bar,if bar is bad it will put a load on the box wearing out box,bar will also let axle wander if bad making steering poor,i put a new box,DSS,and DTB,truck drives great now..
Old 09-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking the same as P.O.R. with some slop in the Track Bar.

With the DSS I notice that I don't have any more bump steer and a little more feel for the road. From what you are describing, I don't think it would help that much.