Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Driving Impressions: RV 275 injectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Driving Impressions: RV 275 injectors

In a continuation of my original post some time back I decided to go with some RV275 injectors (thanks McMopar!). I was considering selling my EZ and getting a Comp, but decided to go the injector route. After installing them I took a quick test drive. I did note the smoke from a hard accel standing stop, but it really didn't seem any quicker. I was kind of second guessing my purchase....that is until I decided to pull the race rig up to Vegas saturday night. WOW! These things brought my truck right up to where my expectation level was for it. I even pulled part of the pass west of me maintaining 65 mph 1800rpm in OD. This was about a 4-5 mile stretch of 6% grade and the egt's pretty much stuck at 1230-1250. Most likely I'll drop it out of OD like I usually do from now on for that hill. No use in beating up the equipment, but being it was the first time out I wanted to see what she had. Only catch was that I was only hitting about 24psi boost so I may have a leak. I think I heard it a couple of time coming home so I'll have to throw the test tool on it monday and pressurize the system and see whats up. Another plus was that it was really noticable on how it maintained speed coming up on grades and the ability to hold mph. Alot of the hills on the stretch of road I take I would usually get up to 70 by the bottom so I could keep the rpms up over 2000 so it wouldn't slow too much. Hit the same grades at 65 last night and it just pulled them. Stuck the rpms at 1800 and there they stayed. Drawbacks: yeah I'm sure there are some, but even filling the tank after I got home I netted 12.4 mpg. Usually I'm around 11, but it will take a few trips to verify any increase, but it's looking good. I can also see where the stock trans can definately meet it's demise. Leaving from a stop, going up hill I was really careful to not be leaning into the go pedal when the lock up clutch would be allowed. I'm sure the lower rpm grunt is what tears these things up. Even once it was locked up I never really leaned into it hard. I'm not ready to buy a trans, but I do have one in the garage all cleaned up and waiting for a rebuild and new torque convertor. I'm sure I'll be looking at a single disc in the future.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you running the rv275's with the EZ and if you have a stock tranny how do you think its going to hold up.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:24 PM

Yes, I kept the EZ and am running it with the injectors.....and on the trans.....I hope to upgrade this winter, but for now we'll see how it goes. I only have about three more races I plan on hitting so the stock trans will get a little workout in the towing department.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Banned

I didn't tow a whole lot with mine when I had the EZ/275 combo but I did beat on it pretty good and it never missed a beat. I went ahead and upgraded to the DTT VB and man, what a difference that made. It really helps put the power to the ground. The best part though is I tapped the wire and holy moly.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:26 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
J Body: You could do a pressure test of your stock tranny and turn up the line pressure a bit to the maximum of the stock specs. While you are at it you can also tune your part throttle shifts a little higher.

Found on http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=68

The low end grunt with not much go pedal applied kills the tranny. Small throttle valve opening means lower line pressure, with an EZ and injectors you add a lot of ooomph at low rpm and the tranny doesn't ecpect it because it doesn't see much go pedal. You should also check your throttle valve cable.
This won't make your tranny as good as a built one but will help it survive the abuse.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 10-02-2005, 07:18 PM

That's a very good point Alpine. We often forget the simpler things. I have a 47re plus boxes of parts in the garage that I want to do myself over the winter.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:07 PM

I'll post the results of my RV275 installation except with a 6-speed. I have had a Catcher for ~8 months, put RV275s in this week. On the first drive all was well, boost up to 35 from 32, more smoke but cleared easily, and more power. Then I drove to my parents to visit, tried to pass on a 2 lane road and the clutch let loose sending RPM from 1500 to 2500 instantly!

I have never towed anything and don't race the thing. So now I am really having to baby this thing until I can get a CON FE. It slipped again later with much less pedal. I was hoping I would have one of those Super-Duper Stock clutches some people have. Oh well, it was only a matter of time, right?