Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Driveshaft Loops

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft Loops

It looks like I'm going to have to put some driveshaft loops on the truck to run at a DHRA event at Quacker City Raceway in Aug. I'm sure this might be an easy thing to do, but I'm looking for some ideas. I'm not really sure that I want to leave them on forever. I hope someone has some ideas they are willing to share Thanks guys
John
Old 07-31-2003, 05:35 PM

Re:Driveshaft Loops

They've got them in all the high perf. mail order catalogs. I don't know if they'd work or not on a truck though. You could get a piece of 1in x 3/16 or 1/4in flat steel and bend it up to work.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:21 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

What is a driveshaft loop and what purpose does it serve?
Thanks.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeps the driveshaft from flying across the track if you happen to break a U-joint.

Or, breaking through the floorboard and taking off your foot (front driveshaft).

I know I've seen the rules somewhere, but what HP or ET are the loops required?
Or, is it on all 4x4 trucks planning on launching in 4x4?

There is a local race event coming up and I'm not even sure if it is an official DHRA event,
or what the local track requires.

If it's a requirement I do believe I'll just remove my front DS prior to the race, and will this satisfy the rules?

phox
Old 07-31-2003, 07:11 PM

The way I read the DHRA rules...anything faster than 13.99 must have driveshaft loops. One for each driveshaft....so if you have a long bed like I do, you need 3 loops. I don't think that all tracks have the same rules.

Since the event I'm planning on going to is a DHRA event, looks like I have to do it, or sit and watch.

phox...You might not need them if the local track doesn't require them. But, I need to leave mine in..have to launch in 4 wheel of I'll never get any traction. ;D

John
Old 07-31-2003, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a thread a couple of months ago.
Included some pics of a nice custom setup, I'm sure a wee bit more than you want.

Tried doing a search for it, but came up with nothing, except this thread of course.

Might have been over on the TDR as well.

I don't think I need to worry about it.
First time at the track.
Stock engine and fueling.
3.55 rear gears with 35 inch tires.
(will probably put the stock 265's back on though)

Be lucky if I break into the high 20's :

phox
Old 07-31-2003, 09:09 PM

I hear Rob Thomas builds some nice ones. I think he is a member here also. Maybe send him a P.M.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:52 PM

phox come on man..think positive I'm sure getting into the teens can be done. Just beware..once you start, you just cant stop! ;D mext thing you know, you'll be heading for the poorhouse with the rest of us.

Spark Chaser Thanks for the input and the search. I was hoping someone had an idea on how to satisfy the rules in some quick and easy method. I'm just kind of looking for temporary loops. I've even thought about the possibility of securing a strong cable between the frame rails for the day. Probably a bad idea, but just a thought.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:01 AM

The rules state you have to use 2"x 1/4" steel or like 3/16" aluminum to circle the driveshafts. You can download the DHRA rule book on there website www.dhraonline.com I built mine using steel and used some of the existing holes on the skid pan for the front loop and the forward portion of the rear drive shaft. The I used the bolts that hold the carrier bearing for the rear loop. It took me about a day to build them including painting them. I also built the loop portion so it could be removed relatively easy if the need arrises.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:19 PM

Looks like I'm going to try to keep the truck as close to 14.0 as possibly. I'm not going to have time between raindrops and work schedule to get it done before the event.

That's ok... It might be fun (and less destructive) to try holding back a little. I'm pretty sure that the output shaft is next in line...I have the BD Race Anti-Defueler to put on, but I'm a little hesitant after seeing what happened to Offshoreracer's shaft. Bill seems very confident that if I put it on, I'll be sending him some money. Output shaft will be coming...just not yet

Thanks for the advice guys John