Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Drive pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 09:43 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen older gas turbines that look like a turbo charge except for that there are several stages of turbine blades. The compressor section was just like our turbo compressor side. I also read on the internet somewhere that some actually built a gas turbine off what looks like a HX-40 turbo charger. They just added a combustion chamber between the compressor and the turbine. They even had an afterburner. It ran off propane. It was pretty cool, some people just have too much time. Here is what I found on the internet, its not the same article but its close.
http://www.gasturbine.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/page1.htm
Old 03-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Muted User

Absolutely. Many, many home built gas turbine / jet engines have been built using a turbocharger. It is infact, perfect for such an exercise: It has a compressor and a turbine coupled to a common shaft, precisely what a gas turbine/jet engine has. I have a video of one running at 60,000 RPM with the entire turbine housing and exhaust yellow! !! not red, not cherry, not even orange... YELLOW !!!! Very fun stuff, just be careful with overspeed. One basic rule: Stand inliine with the shaft, never to the side

KP
Old 03-06-2006, 04:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 600 Megawatts
It is totally possible, and actually quite common when things are sized right. The reason is straight out of thermodynamics. The exhaust gasses are hot, very hot. So they have a great deal of internal energy. The turbine (all turbines actually) expand and cool the hot gasses, extracting that energy to create the power to drive the compressor. Think in terms of energy, not just pressure. If the temperature of the exhaust was only as hot as the temperature of the air in the compressor section, then yes, you would be correct, it would be impossible for there to be less drive pressure than discharge pressure. BUt those exhaust gasses are very hot and contain lots more energy, (even while at much lower pressures), than cooler air.

Remember what the turbocharger is.... it is an exhaust-heat driven gas turbine driving a centrifugal compressor. Its really two machines closely coupled. The gas turbine is by all definitions a HEAT engine.

KP
I just want to clear up some confusion. Hot air means more volume, cold air going in, hot air coming out right? we have a big fan on the same shaft as a little fan, the big fan on the shaft can turn the little fan with less drive pressure than the little fan is putting out, because the big fan uses more volume to do the same amount of work. The principle behind a turbocharger producing more efficiency is well, we will deal with the turbine only right now, p1=turbine pressure in, p2=turbine pressure out, t1, t2, same, same. p1 35 psig, t1 1300 deg fthermodynamic potential of (humor me) 5000 joules/lb of air, now p2 0 psig, t2, 1000 deg f. 3500 joules/lb. If we compress this adiabatically, we only see the temperature come back to 1200 why? The turbocharger turbine used about 30% of the energy contained in the air to drive the wheel. It did not use heat energy to drive the wheel, We just see the energy reduction of the discharge gases as a decrease in temperature, but what is actually happening is a decrease in total energy contained in the gases. I lied. I confused all of us more, including myself. Well said Megawatt
Old 03-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Muted User

You were heading in the correct direction, but I think you may have gotten lost on the way lol ..

I got a little crossed up reading your post, because I think you said air a few times where you probably meant exhaust.

As for compressing adiabatically back to where you were and only getting you back to 1,200, well that is in fact the second law of thermo in action right there!!!!! This is an irreversible process remember. The turbine is not isentropic, and the compressor is not adiabatic.

I dont have my gas tables handy right now, but I will work up a quick cycle using enthalpy and go through it. Of the top of my head, 1,300F exhaust has an enthalpy of about 430 BTU/Lbm and 1,000F exhaust should be down at about 375 BTU/Lbm, so right there you have a Delta h of 55 BTu/lb. Figure on about 2,500 Lb/Hr of exhaust flow and a turbine eff of .7 and you wind up with about 38 shaft horsepower delivered to the compressor section.

Now looking at the compressor section a pressure ratio of 2.4 (~35#'s boost) taking in ambient air at 80F with an enthalpy of about 130 Btu/Lb, and compressing 2,400 #/Hr with an comp eff of .8 uses about .......

You guessed it: 38 shaft horsepower!!!!

Which of course holds true the 1st law of thermo.

These are all ball-park numbers, as I dont have my gas tables with me here. ( I got my steam tables though !!! lol )

KP
Old 03-07-2006, 09:17 PM
The Guru

I been wondering how efficient turbo are? I've heard that your only capable of collecting 40% of the power from the exhaust for a single turbo and you can collect around 50% for twins. This is theory but has anyone actually tested this out. I thought about doing the measurements but I always find something else better to do. The last thing you need to do is turn your truck into a lab experiment.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Muted User

Mike, yes if you look at the total energy available in the exhaust, then it actually collects quite a bit less than even 40%, more like 20%. But if you look at the energy it does collect, and how it turns that energy into shaft work, then it is about 80% of that amount.

And yes, you are correct, in that "twins" (as long as they are compounds in series, not twins or duals in parallel) collect way more of the exhaust energy.

As for the calculations, there are a lot easier than you think. All you need is the pre turbo temps, the post turbo temps and your drive pressure.

KP
Old 03-08-2006, 09:48 PM
The Guru

I have all ways thought about hooking up test equipment and do pretty much what a complete work over on the entire truck. Yes I could get it to work better than what it is, but I have to tell myself why??? The HP and engineering geek inside me wants to but if I did that I would have to re-engineer the entire truck. You can't have that, the perfrect truck!!!
Old 05-06-2006, 11:39 AM

Any updates on this project or photos/details of the merge collector?
Originally Posted by got...DIESEL?
a few more updates images....

The first one is the new back plate ready for welding on a merge collector. The merge collector is to unshroud the bigger wastegate, much like the megamouth.

The second one is the turbine housing with the big head gate actuator mounted, adjusted and fully operational.

Tested the actuator's ability to withstand drive pressure with the reduced mechanical advantage from the relocated fulcrum point, as well as the more than double valve surface area....held 60 psi without opening on the bench, so it should be okay in the truck.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:43 PM

WHat ever happened to this? Did it run? Is it collecting dust in the corner of the garage? Please update.!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:38 PM

If you'll notice the originator of the thread is banned, so you'll have to go to cummins forums or the like. He did build a set of twins using a ht3b.