Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Drilled/Slotted Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drilled/Slotted Rotors

Anybody run them???How do they perform??
Old 12-28-2009, 06:49 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't do it. Drilled and slotted rotors have 9% less clamping surface. I drove right through intersections when I had some installed on my '98.5. Went back to NAPA premium rotors and stock pads and resumed same crummy braking but at least it stopped. EGR brakes has some options for you.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 AM

I have the EGR slotted rotors on mine. They work well but I am going to Brembo solid rotors and a set of good pucks, like the Hawks. Less expensive and I get some vibration from the slotted rotors too so I will change back to solid rotors.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:14 AM

Good to know not to waste money on them, Gotta fix the brakes soon along with about 20 other misc problems this thing has...

Driver Rotor is toast (going to get new one)
Pass Rotor isn't to bad I changed it 1.5year ago (should be able to have turned)

I don't think they make hawk pads for a 95 2500. I had "the best advance auto" bendix pads for 20k and they are getting pretty worn and haven't been real impressed with them, chewed up these rotors pretty bad.

Is it possible to get a non squeek, non dust, easy on rotor brake pad???? Pads are alot easyier to change than rotors.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:24 PM

DON'T do the drilled rotors they have a nastey habit of cracking
I run the PowerSlot brand rotors/EBC Extreme Yellow Pads on Mine and Love them
Better stopping and less fade when runnig hard or overloaded
and Lasted 3x longer than the NAPA Prem rotors

EBC pads when installed on new rotors wear very well and dont eat the rotors
when the pads are new they make a little noise until they "seat", then theyre smooth as silk.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:30 AM

Well i guess i'm the odd one here, i have the drilled and slotted rotors and noticed and huge diff. when i put them on, i used to go through my brakes bad if i was towing and had to stop fast..nothing right to the floor and keep going!! As soon as i put these on, 100% diff for the better!! I'm just running a local stores premium pad! I also did the rear drums and shoes at the same time soooooo??? Its like night and day with my rig!!

Capn
Old 01-09-2010, 11:38 PM

I'm running the Powerslot brand slotted and cryotreated rotors. I've had no problems so far. (About 3 years/40 000 km s) I like them but plan to do the 3rd gen brake upgrade as soon as I'm due for new rubber.

Cheers! Randy.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 PM

I've been stopping like a BMW since November. I went with EBC slotted+dimpled rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads. Too bad my pads are pretty much gone?!?!? Although the stopping power is great I don't know if i want to drop $80 every 4-5 months.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:46 PM

I just had slotted and dimpled rotors put on with ceramic pads, big diff in stopping. I got mine from brakeperformance
Old 04-05-2010, 01:16 PM

There is no such thing as 1 pad that is non squeek, non dust and easy on rotors that stops well. If you want the most gentle on the rotor get organic (no metallic) but they wear like mad and don't stop as well as semi-metallic. Ceramic dust just as much as organic and semi-metallic, but the dust doesn't stick to the rims. Squeeking is more a function of proper install- shims need to be there, some sets have anti-vibe springs, in all cases you need to clean the caliper pathways and lube with the appropriate lube. I have used Titanium brand pads (severe service) stopped great, wore ok, cracked when they get thin. Went to Bendix (power stop?) Fleet, stop just as good, last a little longer, and 1 replacement under lifetime warranty. Went to ceramic in the wife's car recently and I am not impressed.

As to rotors- I have Brembo solids- buybrakes.com - nice rotors. Was thinking about slotted, drilled, etc but since I plow snow they would rust out in no time. If you want your rotors to last the keys are making sure the calipers function properly to eliminate drag (pad dragging on the rotor) and change the pads before the rivits hit the rotor. I have only changed rotors in 1 vehicles of all the ones I have owned and my family owned when I was a kid- this truck and it has 143K on it and has been working every winter. Only replaced the rotors because one collapsed from rust - they were still wearing fine!