Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Drawstraw V ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drawstraw V ???

Has anyone installed the new drawstraw V from vulcan yet?? how is it? hows it work? etc.. It seems like that would be the best option for installing an airdog 150.

I'll be ordering an airdog 150 tomorrow and hopefully installing shortly after I get it. Just want to make sure I have all parts ready before I tear the truck apart.

The truck is a reg cab shortbed. Do I need to get the optional bracket from pureflow or not??

thanks alot

Chris
Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 AM

The DrawStraw V is only for trucks that have an in tank pump or have been converted to in tank pump from the dealer.

This unit will NOT work with standard modules.

Dave
Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 AM

i'm sorry I should have listed that.... I DO have an intank pump that was converted by the dealership.

What is the difference btwn the DS IV and V ??

thanks

chris
Old 02-03-2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by juicedbusa02
i'm sorry I should have listed that.... I DO have an intank pump that was converted by the dealership.

What is the difference btwn the DS IV and V ??

thanks

chris
The DSIV is for guys running a bypass type system that want to dump returned fuel near the pickup. We have had lots of guys running these in the module to suck from the well.

The DSV is for the intank guys. This allows for suction from the factory location with increased line diameters.

We are working on a new line of DrawStraws for older modules as well.

Dave
Old 02-03-2009, 08:01 PM

why dont you just get the draw straw II. i had a intank pump and switched to a holley blue. it was simple to install and came with everything needed when i bought the drawstraw and the big line kit.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:21 PM

I just figured that if the DS V was specifically for trucks with an intank pump then I would get that one. I am just concerned with the whole fuel sloshing and running out of fuel at 1/4 tank or whatever with the airdog drawstraw.

Anyone used a DSV yet??????????

thanks

Chris
Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
The DSIV is for guys running a bypass type system that want to dump returned fuel near the pickup. We have had lots of guys running these in the module to suck from the well.

The DSV is for the intank guys. This allows for suction from the factory location with increased line diameters.

Dave
Hi Dave,

So for my 07 do I need the DSIV or DSV to run the AD 150. My concern is the AD having 1/2" lines and the canister having a 3/8" supply connector. Or Do I still need to put in 1/2" bulkhead fittings for the DSV?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 02-04-2009, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by juicedbusa02
I just figured that if the DS V was specifically for trucks with an intank pump then I would get that one. I am just concerned with the whole fuel sloshing and running out of fuel at 1/4 tank or whatever with the airdog drawstraw.

Anyone used a DSV yet??????????

thanks

Chris
You are correct, they are a specific part for that module. It allows for fuel to be taken from the bucket instead of an open portion of the tank. And since this module lends itself to the ultra easy DSV install, most guys will appreciate it's simplicity.

Dave
Old 02-04-2009, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shagginwagon
Hi Dave,

So for my 07 do I need the DSIV or DSV to run the AD 150. My concern is the AD having 1/2" lines and the canister having a 3/8" supply connector. Or Do I still need to put in 1/2" bulkhead fittings for the DSV?

Thanks,
Kevin
Again, the DSV is for all models equipped with an in tank pump. You could use a DSII, DSIV or DSV. For the AD150 or any of the bypass fuel pumps, the use of the 1/2" draw tube is recommended.

We just put up the DSV High Flow. Basically, it marries a DSII fitting and grommet to a larger in tank canister with flexible bio/ veggie compatible non collapsible line. There is some additional cost with this system as the fuel line is extremely expensive as well as the additional fittings that are required.

The return from the AD or FASS units can be run back into the factory fuel supply line to dump fuel directly back into the bucket. We have dorman fittings and adapters to handle both 3/8" and 1/2" lines. From the testing we have conducted, there is no problem running the 1/2" AD return back into the 3/8" dorman fitting on the tank top.

And there is an option for those that have already installed a DSII from their pump suppliers or us.

Hopefully we can get all the in tank pump guys covered with these items.

Dave
Old 02-04-2009, 02:29 AM

And to the specifics of the DSV High Flow. Yes, you need to mount or use the DSII fitting you already have. You can get it with or without in the kit. There will be a requirement as to the mounting radius of the DSII fitting to the center of the module. As this hose is spendy, there will not be "extra" in the kits. But we can sell you what you need if you mounted the DSII outside this zone.

The fitting in the module is a fixed location of course. So, the 3/8" guys that do not need a High Flow unit can simply use the fitting and dorman connection on the tank top.

Hope fully this makes it a bit more clear and we'll get some pictures of mocked up units in the next few days to clarify further.

Dave
Old 02-17-2009, 02:15 AM

ok so........... iam not really following how this works Correct me if iam wrong...

when u buy this u get a piece that replaces the pump and snaps into where the pump was, then u use the OEM connections on the top of the canister?? just run both lines into that? 1 return and 1 suction??
Old 02-17-2009, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by vj_M
ok so........... iam not really following how this works Correct me if iam wrong...

when u buy this u get a piece that replaces the pump and snaps into where the pump was, then u use the OEM connections on the top of the canister?? just run both lines into that? 1 return and 1 suction??

Yes. At least one of the kits is setup that way. The basic DSV kit is setup so that you can run any of the common non bypass style fuel pumps. Take your pick, Carter, Airtex, Holley, Raptor, FASS HPFP and others that I am forgetting.

Basically, we are supplying you with the suction side of this system. There is a factory return port that gets reused. This is for the stock fuel return only. But it gets dumped right into the bucket. This eliminates any potential issues from low fuel and the possibility of suction issues.

If you are running a Bypass style pump such as a full FASS (with filters) or an AirDog or you are running a system with a separate return fuel line IN ADDITION TO the factory fuel return, you need either the Hiflow kit, or the Upgrade Kit based on what is currently in your system. These kits use a new fitting that is 1/2" for the suction side and REUSES the factory module fitting that was your old feed line, as a return for the bypass pumps. The FASS and Airdog filler neck returns are typically not used any longer.

The standard DSV is for all the guys that want to replace the in tank pump with a "standard" style pump and or are not going after huge horsepower. This is a 3/8" system all the way up to the factory fuel port. You either reuse your factory fuel line with the stock Dorman adapter, or you use the Dorman adapter and fuel line kit with the pump you have selected from the aftermarket. FASS for example ships the HPFP with a Dorman adapter in the kit. In that case, you would use theirs and your stock Dorman connection would not be used.

If you have any additional questions I would be happy to talk to you on the phone as well. But this system is as simple as it gets.

I know it gets complicated trying to read an explanation because it's tough to write one.

Dave
Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 AM

Yes. At least one of the kits is setup that way. The basic DSV kit is setup so that you can run any of the common non bypass style fuel pumps. Take your pick, Carter, Airtex, Holley, Raptor, FASS HPFP and others that I am forgetting.

Basically, we are supplying you with the suction side of this system. There is a factory return port that gets reused. This is for the stock fuel return only. But it gets dumped right into the bucket. This eliminates any potential issues from low fuel and the possibility of suction issues.

If you are running a Bypass style pump such as a full FASS (with filters) or an AirDog or you are running a system with a separate return fuel line IN ADDITION TO the factory fuel return, you need either the Hiflow kit, or the Upgrade Kit based on what is currently in your system. These kits use a new fitting that is 1/2" for the suction side and REUSES the factory module fitting that was your old feed line, as a return for the bypass pumps. The FASS and Airdog filler neck returns are typically not used any longer.

The standard DSV is for all the guys that want to replace the in tank pump with a "standard" style pump and or are not going after huge horsepower. This is a 3/8" system all the way up to the factory fuel port. You either reuse your factory fuel line with the stock Dorman adapter, or you use the Dorman adapter and fuel line kit with the pump you have selected from the aftermarket. FASS for example ships the HPFP with a Dorman adapter in the kit. In that case, you would use theirs and your stock Dorman connection would not be used.

If you have any additional questions I would be happy to talk to you on the phone as well. But this system is as simple as it gets.

I know it gets complicated trying to read an explanation because it's tough to write one.

Dave

iam running 1 return and 1 suction. both returns are "T"ed together and going into the filler neck right now on 1 hose. So ur saying this is not like the liberty canister set up?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:16 AM

Thanks Dave,

I think I "get" it now. Now I just need to get it.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:26 AM

Location: This Nazi state of California 2nd home Gilbert AZ under God
The DrawStraw V is only for trucks that have an in tank pump or have been converted to in tank pump from the dealer.

This unit will NOT work with standard modules.

Dave
But it does work on a 08 right?

Quick Reply: Drawstraw V ???