Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

draw straw II

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
draw straw II

I'm going to put a Draw Straw II in my 00 2500 reg. cab 2500. I was woundering does anyone have any tips or concerns I should know about? thanks stock659
Old 08-31-2009, 06:50 PM

I had a Vulcun drawstraw installed with a FASS and analog fuel pressure gauge. On the first pass, the mechanic dropped the tank, and measure the length incorrectly - as in cut the straw too short. I wound up running out of fuel at 1/4 tank - had to tow, because I didn't realize that was the problem. I purchased another drawstraw, and gave the mechanic pictures illustrating how to cut the length of the straw - he admittedly said he had cut the first straw 1/2" too short. I guess the best way to do the install would be to leave the tank supported as is in place, and pull the bed - something I can't do. Anyways, something to consider - maybe the Vulcan II resolves the issue of proper cut length? DD
Old 09-01-2009, 02:08 AM

For a new install I would recommend a DrawStraw I if you have a block mounted pump or a DrawStraw V for in tank pumps.

Both of these options allow for suction and return to stay in the fuel module and limit the fuel slosh issues of the DSII.

Dave
Old 09-01-2009, 06:08 PM

Fishing2deep4u: this fuel slosh you speak of is it any different than stock? the reason I bought the straw2 is I alrealdy have a fuel return from my walboro to my fill tube. I 'm just looking for a better way to draw fuel out of the tank. I believe my fuel filter in the tank is plugging to a certain degree, because sometime going around turns my fuel pressure will drop then return fairly quickly. thanks stock659
Old 09-02-2009, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by stock659
Fishing2deep4u: this fuel slosh you speak of is it any different than stock? the reason I bought the straw2 is I alrealdy have a fuel return from my walboro to my fill tube. I 'm just looking for a better way to draw fuel out of the tank. I believe my fuel filter in the tank is plugging to a certain degree, because sometime going around turns my fuel pressure will drop then return fairly quickly. thanks stock659
The fuel slosh comes from an tube inserted into a non baffled portion of the tank. Think of a tub of water. When it gets moving, it does not want to stop. In addition, the high draw of these fuel systems actually creates a vortex to the tube even when it is fully covered. Think of a draining sink here.

So, the DS1 and the DSV both put the draw tube into the module bucket, Where the notion of the fuel is less likely to cause a major disturbance to the pickup point. Simply put, there are both far superior for fuel pickup placement.

As far as dropping fuel pressures in turns, I would have to see how the system was configured now and come up with a best guess. If the module screen was plugged, it should not matter which direction or angle you were going. ANd don't forget with an early module (block mounted lift pump) you could suck the fuel completely out of the module under certain circumstances and the returned fuel from the neck cannot refill the basket fast enough. This si why the DS1 and DSV both have return fuel provisions.

I have seen just about every kind of fuel system issue and honestly, it is as simple as the DS1 and DSV for a full fix.

Dave
Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM

thanks for the insight. do you think I will have problems if I use the straw2 with my stock truck. as a rule my fuel tank is never below half.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by stock659
thanks for the insight. do you think I will have problems if I use the straw2 with my stock truck. as a rule my fuel tank is never below half.
The vast majority of users never have a problem with fuel slosh. I have installed a ton of them and have never had one come back. So, if it' done right, it will not be an issue.

Dave