Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Drag Racing Boiling Out Black Smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Drag Racing Boiling Out Black Smoke?

Ive seen in all the drag video's Ive watched on here they pull up to the line and rev it up and black smoke just starts pouring out and it doesnt stop till they launch, how do they do that, mine pours out the smoke but only untill I build up my boost. I know thats what they are doing is building boost but they smoke level doesnt stop. How do they do it?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Excessive fuel.

If you can find some old honed Mega Mental DD injectors, they will make YOUR truck do that too
Old 05-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Banned

Ya dude lots and lots of injector. My freind has a powerstroke when he runs the quarter it flows smoke the whole way, pretty fun to watch.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Banned

Yeah they must have a Edit load of fuel flowing throught there, man, every time I watch those videos and they pull up to the line and black smoke just covers the hole starting area and you cant even see the trucks, I'm like man there goes $20 worth of diesel.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Banned

Well the truck pulls smoke easier because of the weight they are pulling, but to see a truck run the quarter mile and smoke the whole way is impressive.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Large injectors, P-Pumps, laggy turbos, and tight convertors = smoke. I try not to smoke much during spoolup, because it will often smoke out the lights. With me there will be a puff of smoke on launch, and then it cleans right up. My best E.T. so far is a 12.34 @ 108.9 mph. Traction is my limiter right now...

Paul
Old 05-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Registered

it takes mucho $$$ to get your truck that up to that kinda hp.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Banned

What do you mean traction are you launching in 4, also how does the track you run at work at ours your time dosen't start until you leave so you can leave 2,3,4,5 seconds after green and allow for your spool up. Or are you concerned racing the guy next to you, or your time?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by paulb
My best E.T. so far is a 12.34 @ 108.9 mph.
Thats awesome If I could run my truck that fast I'd spend all day cruising for vettes and vipers to victimize
Old 05-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
also how does the track you run at work at ours your time dosen't start until you leave so you can leave 2,3,4,5 seconds after green and allow for your spool up. Or are you concerned racing the guy next to you, or your time?
Too much smoke blocks the staging lights,
so you'll leave but because of the smoke the timer thinks you are still there, and could be crossing the finish line before the smoke clears enough for the lights to register.

And it's bad form for the guy next to you to cross the finish line before you
even though you'll technically have a quicker time, it's all about appearances.

phox
Old 05-03-2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
What do you mean traction are you launching in 4, also how does the track you run at work at ours your time dosen't start until you leave so you can leave 2,3,4,5 seconds after green and allow for your spool up. Or are you concerned racing the guy next to you, or your time?
If I leave with more then about 15psi of boost, I will spin all four tires out past the 60ft. It will also chirp all four tires when it shifts into 2nd.

Yes the E.T. doesn't start until you vehicle leaves. In other words the reaction time does not effect E.T.'s. Reaction times however wins races! I concentrate more on winning races then on E.T.'s. I think that was what your question was....

Paul
Old 05-03-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
Too much smoke blocks the staging lights,
so you'll leave but because of the smoke the timer thinks you are still there, and could be crossing the finish line before the smoke clears enough for the lights to register.

And it's bad form for the guy next to you to cross the finish line before you
even though you'll technically have a quicker time, it's all about appearances.

phox
lol, yep very bad form! I ran an 8.68 1/4 mile at a track that had an old light system. I was at the 1/8 mile before the smoke had cleared. That was quiet awhile ago, and I was doing launches from an idle, with a large single turbo...

Paul
Old 05-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

At RMR they display your time on a large board at the end of the track so everyone knows who is faster. In my opinion if you are going to the track to race your trying to get the best time possible and focusing on your truck, and learning more about it. Now if they don't display time then that is one thing. Launching you can look at it two ways my freind launches between 20 an 30 and spins all the through 2nd basically waiting for the tires to bite, but if you don't launch hard then your waiting for horsepower and spool up, which is better? I don't know, now you get into tire selection and alot of track time.