Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Drag comp + Smarty, Advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drag comp + Smarty, Advice please!

Well, I think Big Blue has convinced me to do some upgrading. Considering my current mods, if I added the drag comp and smarty, what else would I have to do to the truck? I understand a bigger turbo would be advised, is it required though, if I use my boost elbow? Also, with higher boost pressures, do I have to get O rings or studs or whatever, or do anything to my block? I want more power and speed, but I'm kinda worried about breaking a lot of expensive parts...again. Basically, what else do I need to do to the truck before I can run this combo with confidence? Also, the truck is now at 119,900 miles, should I go easy on it and leave it alone?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Banned

well it looks like you have a diff. fuel setup and a built tranny so the only thing to really look at doing would be your turbo assuming you still have your stocker. I have the same setup as you but with a 6spd and a new turbo. My stock turbo was peggin 1500+ before I added the smarty so I upgraded before I bought the smarty and did the drag upgrade..OH and I don't have studs just have the turbo wastegated at 40..
Old 03-25-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Timberman
Well, I think Big Blue has convinced me to do some upgrading. Considering my current mods, if I added the drag comp and smarty, what else would I have to do to the truck? I understand a bigger turbo would be advised, is it required though, if I use my boost elbow? Also, with higher boost pressures, do I have to get O rings or studs or whatever, or do anything to my block? I want more power and speed, but I'm kinda worried about breaking a lot of expensive parts...again. Basically, what else do I need to do to the truck before I can run this combo with confidence? Also, the truck is now at 119,900 miles, should I go easy on it and leave it alone?
To be honest you'd be real happy with just a Drag comp, I tried a smarty with a comp and didn't see that it was worth it. just my 2 cts
Old 03-25-2007, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about just upgrading my comp to a drag as well and wondered about the smarty stack, thanks for the opinion on just sticking with the Drag comp, sorry to hijack thread saved me a new post!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:42 PM

Do the drag upgrade and leave the MAP unplugged, its not going to be the bottom end of a smarty, but better than just a comp. I know there has been a few threads about it a everyone says they can feel alot more bottom end by the SOP meter.

Jamie
Old 03-25-2007, 09:49 PM
The Guru

My truck runs the smarty and the comp box most of the time. I don't think you would pick that much more power running a drag box over a comp box. I run the smarty #8 setting and the 3X3 on the comp box. Works good the cruise is a bit touchy. Tons of smoke.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Chapter President

If you ever make it over here for one of our wrenchin days i'm sure TJ would let you try out his Smarty. Next Sat i think we will be putting in TJ's new tranny. Might want to come on over to the Western shore.

Trending Topics

Old 03-26-2007, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the info yall. I think I'm gonna order the drag comp and try it first, then get the smarty a little later on. I'm a little worried about my VP when I tap the wire, but maybe it'll hold. I'm hoping this will turn the truck from a well mannered towing machine to a smoking streak of lightning.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Chapter President

Get the Stealth cover, you can get them from Summit.
We are gonna be doing a VB and TC this weekend at the DTR Chapter #33 cave, if you are interested. TJ might have his Smarty with him.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:11 PM

I have the Drag and Smarty and I love it. I noticed a lot with the Smarty. A lot more than just unpluging the MAP.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:25 PM

i have a drag comp and a smarty...smarty really didnt do much for me so i wouldnt worry about it...i also have an aurora 5000 and i have stock head gasket with no studs...no troubles yet. haha