Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Drag comp differences HO/SO??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:08 AM
KVD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drag comp differences HO/SO??

Really I have a lot of questions so please bear with me.

If you had 2 trucks, one a 6spd HO and the other a SO 5 spd and you was to put a drag comp on each truck, which one is most likely to make my HP on a dyno or sops for that matter.

The reason I'm askin is because I've heard that the drag comp only adds 90hp on a ho truck and a full 120 on a SO truck so I just want to clear that up.

The reason I'm askin is I'm still lookin for a truck (when I'm not workin all the time) and I know I want a manual I just don't know if I want a 6spd of a 5 spd.I'm leanin more toward the HO for the bigger clutch and one extra gear but if I can make more HP with the 5spd then thats what I want.

Also about how hot would either of these trucks get the drag comp, scotty II, and 4 inch straight piped exhaust?This truck won't see any towin if I did I would turn the comp off then.

Next question, if I was to run a vulcan LP relocate kit, bigger fuel lines, and maybe a Holley blue as a pusher would that prolong the life of the VP or is it still a crap shot when you tap the wire?

Last question, I read an old post on here one time about a edge seld puller version?It was when the comp first came out so that tells you how old the post was.I would just like to know a little more about that. I figure you can't get that verison any more just like to know a some more.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:15 PM

If you were looking for 500+ then you'd want to use the SO truck, but up to that point you just use different mods. HO's respond better to injectors while SO respond better to fueling boxes.

I'd think the five speed would respond better to the mods you listed.

Pump relocation or pusher pumps are fine, but more importantly you want a FP guage on there so you'll know if ya have a problem.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:22 PM

6 speed only really helps you if you are towing heavy or if you have big tires with .355 gears. Low is the same and high is the same, just closer ratio in between.......just more shifting.......or skipping in my case.....lol.

Injectors do make a HO truck jump pretty good as mentioned but you got to start thinking head studs and orings sooner due to the higher compression of the HO engine......well that is mostly going to be because of higher boost pressure when your horsepower climbs when you get a larger single or twins.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:44 AM
KVD

Well I plan to run 33x14.50 SSRs, not a big tire but a wide tire.My buddy has them on a 99 5 speed with 3.55s and a EZ and it doesn't seem to drag the truck down but they where on there when he got the truck so we couldn't compare to stock.

I don't plan on (of course that may change) doin more than a good fuelin box, (comp or somethin like a ez/tst or redline) and maybe small injectors (somethin like jammer II of IIIs) and no bigger than a 35/40 turbo some day, or what how ever much fuel that turbo will take.Nothin bigger than that but I bet the bug will hit me so who knows.

So what about EGTS?Can I pretty much keepin in check with a intake and exhaust??
Old 07-03-2006, 12:16 PM

Do you tow much? If I was going to tow alot of the time, I would choose a 6-speed. If I was just gonna drive it, I would definetly get a 5-speed. The 5 and 6 speeds have the same 1st and overdrive gear ratio, but just have one more gear squeezed in between there. The gears are closer together to help get a heavy load moving easier. But IMO just to drive it around, definetly a 5-speed with 3.54's. For towing alot of heavy loads you'll want the 4.10 ratio. For just driving around, you'll definetly want the 3.54's for better fuel mileage and a much quicker truck.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by KVD
I don't plan on (of course that may change) doin more than a good fuelin box, (comp or somethin like a ez/tst or redline) and maybe small injectors (somethin like jammer II of IIIs) and no bigger than a 35/40 turbo some day, or what how ever much fuel that turbo will take.Nothin bigger than that but I bet the bug will hit me so who knows.
As far as the electronics go its hard to beat the value of a edge comp or the new Juice. They'll do it all and are competetive. The new combo that people are loving is the Smarty programmer with a fueling box- blue chip or tst. Forget about the Redline though- blue chip has some other boxes that'd work better for you. You can turn the fueling box off with any of these combos. Any of these can push your turbo and clutch to its limits as well.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:19 PM
KVD

5 speed it is then.

No I don't tow much and after drivin my cousions 01 with 4:10s and I know I want 3:55s.