Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Double Deep Is On

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Deep Is On

Well I got ancy and decided to put the double deep tranny pan on today instead of waiting till this weekend with the guys. Since the fluid in the tranny was only about 2 weeks old, I went ahead and reused it. I just loosened the back bolts and set the new pan underneath it and let the fluid drain into the new pan. I dang near filled the pan to the top. Well, this turned out to be a bad idea because the pan itself weighs a few lbs and then you go and add 10 or so qt's of fluid on top of that and you can imagine the weight. So I had to have my roommate start a couple of the bolts while I held the dang thing up and tried not to dump it all out on the concrete while at the same time aligning the bolt holes and gasket. Then, the new bolts are allen wrench heads. No problem, right? Wrong. Have yall ever tried to tighten that many bolts with a little allen wrench? It sucks. And then while trying to refill it I spilled about half a quart on the down pipe so now my cab smells like burning tranny fluid. Oh yeah, I also found my tranny filter being loosely held on by one bolt. The other two had fallen out and gotten caught on the magnet. Need to talk to Chris about that one.

Now for the good part. Driving in the city I didn't notice a real big difference in the temps. They climb to about 180 and stay there. They might take longer to get there but I'm not sure. Lockup is where this thing shines. As soon as the TC locks up the tranny temp needle drops almost as fast as the speeds rise. I can go from 180* to 140* in about 5 miles where as before it would take almost 15-20 miles before the fluid would get down that low if it even got that low. So far I'm fairly impressed with this thing. The great thing is that since I only used 3 out of the 12 extra qts I bought, I can get some money back on this thing.

All in all, I say if you tow heavy or have a built engine and tranny, then I recommend going with the double deep over the deep. There's a small price difference but the cooling is unbelievable. Not to mention the fact that it looks really freaking awesome (pics coming soon).
Old 10-12-2005, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats! Must have done something right...it did not leak after being installed.

On the ATF covered Downpipe (if it isn't too late)...clean it with Brake & Parts Cleaner. Will smell worse, but only for a short time till the B&P cooks off.
Just don't ask how I know about red downpipes.

RJ
Old 10-12-2005, 12:46 PM

Guess mine would work better on the truck instead of in the box on the bench. Thanks for the post!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:49 PM

Bug Blue, you done hit the lottery or something? I have seen post by you on 3 or 4 different mods in the last two weeks. I know tapping the comp wire was free after the fact, but the rest are out right expensive upgrades.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Banned

I wish I had won the lottery. You'd be seeing a lot more posts from me. This is money I saved up over the summer from working and from working while in school. I designated this money for the mods I've been doing lately. If rjohnson ends up selling me his ksb-1, I'll be putting all of my money towards buying a full built DTT minus shafts for now. So far the tranny is holding great to the abuse I'm putting it through but I'm still skeptical about nailing it from a light on 5x5.