Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Door Ajar Switch Modification (Radio)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Ajar Switch Modification (Radio)

Ever want to turn you key on and listen to the radio while working on the truck or building fence or something and need to leave the door open? Does that crappy ding ding dinger annoy the heck out of you like mine does me? Well, I fixed that. (Sounds like an infomercial doesn't it??)

While cleaning up the wiring on my Edge box last night, I decided I wanted to leave the door open and listen to the radio and not hear that dang dinger. I pulled the kick panel and the door ajar switch on the drivers door. I cut one wire (either will work) and put a miniature switch on it and drilled a tiny hole in one of the dash brackets right near the emergency brake release and mounted the little switch. Now, I can turn my truck to acc, open the door and turn off that freankin' dinger!! Praise the Lord!!!

Just a little mod I thought that I'd pass along in case someone cares. When I'm done working, I just flip it back to normal so my interior lights come back on like usual at night. And if you need the interior light while the switch has the door switch disabled, just override it with the roller next to the headlight switch.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
On my rig I look up under the dash on the drivers side and disconnect the GREEN connector. Its a module that contains the dinger plus controls the lights and door locks, so I always reconnect it when I finish.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Ever want to turn you key on and listen to the radio while working on the truck or building fence or something and need to leave the door open? Does that crappy ding ding dinger annoy the heck out of you like mine does me? Well, I fixed that. (Sounds like an infomercial doesn't it??)

While cleaning up the wiring on my Edge box last night, I decided I wanted to leave the door open and listen to the radio and not hear that dang dinger. I pulled the kick panel and the door ajar switch on the drivers door. I cut one wire (either will work) and put a miniature switch on it and drilled a tiny hole in one of the dash brackets right near the emergency brake release and mounted the little switch. Now, I can turn my truck to acc, open the door and turn off that freankin' dinger!! Praise the Lord!!!

Just a little mod I thought that I'd pass along in case someone cares. When I'm done working, I just flip it back to normal so my interior lights come back on like usual at night. And if you need the interior light while the switch has the door switch disabled, just override it with the roller next to the headlight switch.
Oh I am sooooo going to do that. I love listening to my radio while I'm outside. Normally I just turn it to "run" and turn the AC off and the dinger quits after 3 dings and I can still use my windows and what not.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:48 PM

Hey Blue the problem with turning the key to run is you still have power to all electricals in the truck. With the key in ACC and the Magic switch thrown you only power to the radio. The owners manual states not to leave the truck in run for long periods of time with the engine off.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:23 PM

I bet that mod will kill the horn going off while backing with the door open too,good idea.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Open the passenger side door instead of the drivers side.

No ding.

phox
Old 09-17-2006, 02:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Or just roll the windows down, keep the doors closed.

Trending Topics

Old 09-17-2006, 02:41 PM

To listen with to the radio and your doors open.
Simply put the ign switch to acc
Use your finger to push in the door pin on the drivers side (yes you can release it )
And thats it untill you cycle the key again.
Give it a try, it worked on both my second gens.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Banned

Well, I don't like to leave my truck "on" like it says not to do in the manual, you can't just push the button in and let it out and kill the dinger on my '02, and most of the time I'm working on my truck under the dash it is on the drivers side, so leaving the other door doesn't help. Therefor, I love it.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:23 AM
GSP

Push the door botton and let it out doesnt work on my '99 either
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I tried that before, and it doesn't work on my 01.5.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:35 AM

Hmm..... I guess it only works on the older ones
Wonder when they made the change?
Old 09-24-2006, 09:51 PM

in my 96(id guess its the same in many) i got a little yellow thing on one of the fuses in the fuse box in the side of the dash, if i pull it out the interior lights and all that stay off
Old 09-25-2006, 10:14 AM
JKM

i always just wiggle the switch out of the truck and unplug it, set it in the chage tray in the door...
Old 09-25-2006, 10:52 AM

That door dinger is right up there with Chinese water Torture......For a while I though a lot of the song had a really crappy out of rhythm cowbell in the background…....haha.......i just shut the fnt doors and keep the half doors open if i need toons most of the time.....but good suggestion......