Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

DONT PIERCE THAT PUMP WIRE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DONT PIERCE THAT PUMP WIRE!!!

Just spoke with the guy who tweeked my truck and heard some interesting stuff about fueling boxes. Are all fueling boxes created equal, as far as HP goes? According to this guy they are. I'm not sure if I can state the name of this company or the guy's name, but he has been doing twin setups for 20 years. He says that all of the fueling box companys have twisted the code to the max (without piercing the pump wire). He said he has ran every box on the market in his test truck, by the way he has his own dino. He said they all produced within 15 HP of eachother. Torque Dog being the highest and VanAken being the lowest. But he warned me about the boxes that enabled you to pierce the pump wire. He said the pump will fail. Every company has pushed the fueling to the maximum integrity if the pump and protection code for the pump. When you pierce the pump it is going beyond that maximum tolerance. It makes great power, but the pump will go out. So he says. He said just put twins on and get it overwith if you want what he calls honest HP. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:53 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:DONT PIERCE THAT PUMP WIRE!!!

Here's the straight scoop:
http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/Bosch-VP44.htm

There are alot of folks who have been running with pierced pump wires for many, many thousands of miles.

Some of the early 98, 99, 2000 pumps had some "issues" when the wire was connected.

Like any other Performance Enhancing Modifications.
Ya pays ya money, ya takes ya chances.

Old 12-11-2003, 06:10 AM

But if you put twins you NEED alot more fuel to spin those so you need either that pump wire or you need injectors. Easier in my mind to peirce it.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the Bluechip link. This guy,Chip, said that he has pierced the wire on 43 trucks and over half of them had pump problems. Also what about the statement thet all boxes are created equal as far as HP. He ran all of them on his dino in the same truck. He has a 1st gen 1ton truck with twins that makes my truck look silly, and he didn't pierce the wire on it.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:36 AM

[quote author=BLUTIC link=board=7;threadid=23576;start=0#msg221915 date=1071148537]
He has a 1st gen 1ton truck with twins that makes my truck look silly, and he didn't pierce the wire on it.
[/quote]

He has no wire to pierce in the first gen.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:46 AM

only vp44 equipped trucks have wire tap boxes. that would be 98.5 thru 2002 for 2nd gens. the boxes do increase the duty cycle of the pump which does have a finite life. So, increasing the duty cycle will decrase pump life but that is the trade off. They will all fail someday, right? I know of several people that have been running wire tap boxes. some have had failures some have not. I relate the failure I last saw to a dead lift pump. the box may have finished the pump off but the lift pump definately wounded it.
-Jason
Old 12-11-2003, 08:07 AM

I have pierced my pump wire!!!
Is it too late? Is my pump going to die????

:'( :'( :'(

Worst news I've had all year.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:15 AM

Sorry about the bad news. So should I sell my puck and go with a fuel box that allows me to grab more ponies by piercing the wire? Or should I keep the puck and gain HP another way? Are all of these boxes making about the same power without piercing the wire? What should I do? If I go much further in power I will thrash my 3rd stock clutch.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:16 AM

remanufactured pumps are getting cheaper every day....go ahead poke that wire ;D
Old 12-11-2003, 09:24 AM

You're so evil Dr Evil. I just want to spank these monkey lovin ricers from light to light. I drive this truck every day and I don't want to work on it any more than I have to. Mods are great, but I feel some are not worth the pain.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:31 AM

All pumps die eventually.

The VP44 pump on my truck had the wire tapped for well over 50k miles. It was still going but was weak on 2 cylinders. Think, maybe drag racing and having low fuel pressure might have had something to do with that? That was the factory installed pump, with 110,000 miles of abuse on it. I'm not complaining, because its been 50k miles of ;D.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:08 AM

Oh no a VP44 WAR!

I pierced mine when I picked the truck up at the dealer. Its got 40,000 KM on it no probs so far. Now where's my new lift pump!
Old 12-11-2003, 10:14 AM

well...i pierced my wire, ran a month and "pop" went the pump...NO REGRETS WHATSOEVER...took me 3 hours, costed me 1k for a pump, Pierced the new pump 1 minute later and loving every second of it! guess it depends on your personal take on it :..I think if you give plenty of fuel to the VP and I personally run a lot of additive in every tank to help lubricate you can really reduce the failure rate. just my .02 though

Quick Reply: DONT PIERCE THAT PUMP WIRE!!!