Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Doing some stuff to the truck....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doing some stuff to the truck....

Well, I have been wanting to stick a stock 3rd gen turbo on my truck for a while now. I found one locally off of a 2005 dodge for a decent price, and picked it up.

I had been wanting to do this mainly so that i could pull work stock around here every now and then. Plus, it also flows better than any HX35 or HX40 compressor side. It will also have a good bit better spoolup than my HX40, and should flow decent on the exhaust since it is still a 4" outlet. I only plan on 450-500hp max for at least a good while, so this turbo should support that fine while still leaving me great spoolup, and towing manners since both of those are also an issue since this is my daily driver.

I will have to build my own compressor piping since it is going to be a custom deal. I ordered the 3" aluminized tubing off of ebay tonight to cover that part of the swap. I also bought a 2.75" to 3" silicone boot to adapt from the turbo outlet to the 3" tubing i bought which should slip right inside of the stock 3" boot on the intercooler inlet. I will have to cut and weld the pipe i bought to make it work. I am not adding any intercooler boots to the setup, only replacing one of the stock ones with the one i bought. I plan to maybe weld a bead around the ends of the pipes also in order to help keep the boots on. Although at 38-40 psi i dont think it will be a problem.

While I was at it, I also order a fuel pressure regulator to replace the overflow valve. I plan to mount it by the firewall under the hood, and it has a gauge on it, and is easily adjustable. I will just run my rubber return line straight into the regulator, and then back into the steel return line under the truck.

Anyways, I have everything I need coming for the swap as far as i know. I plan to have the regulator and charger on by the end of next week if it all goes as planned and everything shows up on time and i dont have any big surprises. Im anxious to see how it performs with the new setup. I think i will be pretty happy with it. Hopefully I will know for sure soon.

Ill try and get pictures up, especially after I get it all welded up and installed.

Eric
Old 08-12-2009, 11:34 PM

OK, that sounds like a big job to tackle..--how soon do you think this will be done??

Definitely give updates, and yea-pictures please
Old 08-13-2009, 01:09 AM

I just did mine 3 weeks ago . I am happy over all. It cools really good on the top end. I pulled my 10000 5er to Idaho last weekend and I noticed on the top end it would not get over 1200 deg. That was keeping the rpm's at around 1800 to 2000. I can only build about 28 pounds of boost. Maybe I need more fuel. Good luck
Old 08-13-2009, 01:34 AM

If my parts come in on time, I plan to have this done next week. I have everything i need coming as far as i know, so I dont think it will be too bad.

Wyattearp29- Good to gear that you are happy with it. I tow with my truck a decent bit in the summer, and it is nice to have good spoolup and EGT control. I plan to throw a good bit of fuel at it one of these days though, so it will definately be interested to see what i can make with it.

How is spool up and do you have any pictures of the piping or anything?

Eric
Old 08-13-2009, 03:10 AM

I will try to get some pictures up . I used 1 90 and 1 45. The biggest pain was the downpipe. I got an old downpipe from ebay from an 05 . I then welded the end on to my 4" downpipe. I know bigblue did this mod and he just used flex . I have access to a tig welder so it made it a little better.
http://www.dodgeownerforums.com/smf/...99103#msg99103. here is another one done
Old 08-13-2009, 11:22 AM

I have been told that a regular HX40 4" downpipe will bolt up and work, so I am going to try that with mine first since I already have a 4in downpipe in the truck. Im really hoping it works, and have been told by more than one person that did it that it will.

Thanks for the link. His IC piping looks really clean. Hopefully mine will turn out that good.

Eric
Old 08-14-2009, 04:50 PM

Well, I got the pipe, and intercooler boot i ordered today. Im sure hoping I can have it on and ready to roll early next week! Ill update with pictures when it is on.

Eric

Trending Topics

Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 PM

Well, im planning to start on the swap tonight. Hoping to get it done, but if not ill finish it in the morning. Pictures to come...

Eric
Old 08-16-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds nice
Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 AM

She lives! I got everything done. The only things i need to do is buy a 2 3/4 inch clamp, and build a downpipe.

As for how it runs. I am extremely pleased so far. It spools awesome. It gets to 10psi pretty quick, and once it gets to 10psi as long as you are turning 1500+ rpm, it pegs 38-40psi instantly. I launched it at 10psi in 2wd earlier and it instantly broke the tires loose and went to about 3200rpm in 1st until i let out of it.

The downpipe has a bad leak right at the flange and is pretty much just rigged to the turbo for now so I need to round up a few parts and build a downpipe, or modify this one to work.

EGT's arent much different from my HX40, but they are possibly a little cooler. The spoolup is really what i am so happy with. I think it will be much more driveable with less smoke, and if i decide to jump on the throttle out of the blue, it responds much faster. Boost is limited to about 38psi.

I have some pictures I will get up soon, and I will post a little more info on it then. So far i am very happy with it though.

Eric
Old 08-18-2009, 12:39 AM

Way to go Eric, that was pretty quick.
We're looking for pics!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:01 AM

Well, I havent loaded pics up to this site yet. I have a full write up with pictures here though. I think you should be able to view it no problem:

http://kydtr.com/iboard/index.php?sh...0&#entry213753

Once i get a flange to weld to my downpipe so that it will bolt directly to my turbo flange, and get a smaller clamp for the outlet on my turbo, it will be done. I am loving it so far! Got some more driving in on it today and it is sweet!

Eric
Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 PM

Looks good , So did you just get rid of the waistgate? I can only build about 29 psi. I have the waistgate acuator hose fitting completly plugged off.So I wonder why I cant build more boost. Maybe I need more fuel.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:15 AM

If you look at the pictures, you can see that i just made my own bracket for the wastegate actuator. So it is still functional. If you have it completely plugged off you must just need more fuel, but i would think you would have enough to be close to 40psi? I have seen between 38 and 42psi so far.

Eric