Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Does anyone recomend the Power Edge EZ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone recomend the Power Edge EZ?

Hey Guys,<br> Does anyone have or recomend the Power Edge EZ? I use my truck for getting back and forth from work ( in rush hour traffic ) and pulling my 30' camper. We pull the camper about 15 times a year. Meaning, we don't camp in the winter at all. So the question is: should I be looking into the Power Edge EZ for better mileage and power? Also, if I were to get the Power Edge EZ, should I get gauges? Thanks. 8)
Old 12-06-2002, 01:07 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Does anyone recomend the Power Edge EZ?

Gauges are good even if you're not planning on uping the HP.
Especially Pyrometer(EGT), and Fuel Pressure guages.

The EZ is a good 1st step, it will give you a little &quot;kick in the pants&quot;.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:25 PM

You get a lot more HP for a little money. 8) You will enjoy the extra zip it adds to your truck.
Old 12-06-2002, 07:13 PM

I have one it it is well worth it especially when you are towing. It is one modification where you can actually feel a great boost in power. I too do not have any guages yet but may get some in the future. Just don't drive like a maniac and you will probably be alright. I don't know about anybody else, but my fuel mileage stayed the same. That's not so bad since any kind of real power gain in a gasser is usually accompanied by an equal loss of fuel mileage...
Old 12-06-2002, 07:23 PM

With the EZ you probably want to install a modified valve body into your auto trans, this will help advoid trans problems for a while. Gauges also are a must!<br>
Old 12-06-2002, 07:37 PM

I have one and it's well worth the money. It gave me the extra Hp at a good price. Only problem you'll have is once you get the extra Hp, your going to want more and more. Gauges are a must, the sooner the better. Don't forget the tranny, it's the weak link. <br>Big dawg
Old 12-09-2002, 12:22 AM

Yeah - I like mine. I noticed a big change in the way I use the throttle, i.e., around town, you use no more than a 1/4&quot; (that's a quarter of an inch) to achieve normal acceleration; any more than that and everyone around you will think you're racing. I do a lot of towing (4 horse and '53 dropdeck (hot shot)) and the change in performance was beyond noticeable.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:23 AM

In my opinion the only condition where you might get away without gauges is when BOTH of the following apply:<br><br>1. you have an ETH (HO) with the larger HX 35 turbocharger<br>2. you run empty.<br><br>There may be some guys running EZ (only -- no exhaust or intake) with automatics. Running empty, you might also get by without a pyrometer on these trucks, but the risk is higher because the stock turbocharger has a smaller exhaust housing.<br><br>My situation meets the above conditions (HX turbo, and I run empty at this time). Hopefully I'll be adding gauges soon and should be able to validate my &quot;opinion&quot;. Some say that the Edge EZ can actually reduce EGTs (due to engine timing changes) but I wouldn't count on that. Especially towing I wouldn't even put the EZ box on your truck without a pyrometer.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:34 PM

I have one on my truck and yes it is a good box. Only drawback is you have to access the jumper plug inside the box to make changes in power settings. I just leave mine on the highest setting all the time! I bought mine from a guy on Ebay for about 425.00. I am going to upgrade to the Comp though. Need more power!
Old 12-10-2002, 10:57 AM

I have the EZ with gauges. The only time I see EGT over 1200 is when I am towing up a steep hill. <br><br>Don't get me wrong, gauges are a must. I mainly use my EGT for cooldown. <br><br>First gauge you need is a Fuel Pressure gauge. I installed mine down on the shifter console, because I don't look at it but a few times a day.<br><br>I dyno'd the rig with the EZ on setting II: 245 hp @ 511 ft-lb at the rear wheels. The next dyno day in Dallas, I'll test it on III to see the difference. Next will be DDIIs!!!!