Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Dodge black rubber mud flaps..

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Dodge black rubber mud flaps..

I have the hard plastic ones with the chrome ram's logo on the. I tried to check the Dodge/Mopar site for a part number but did not see one. I think I have the part number on the dealer invoice. I will check it. Not sure if they still sell them or not.<br><br>goat
Old 05-21-2003, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Dodge black rubber mud flaps..

Thanks everyone for the feedback..<br><br>I decided that I didnt want to spend the money right now (getting married next month and the fiancee has pretty much drained me try) to buy something I knew would be long enough do to the job right, so I made my own flaps for a little of nothing.. the ended up looking very good - if i do say so..<br><br>For those that may also be so inclined - here is what i did..<br><br>I bought a heavy duty rubber mud flap for a tractor trailer... It was 24&quot; x 30&quot;... for $4.00 - any heavy truck parts counter will have these.<br><br>I cut the flap long ways and ended up with two 12 x 30 flaps.. By making the cut side the inside you get a finished edge and bottom.. I rounded the inside bottom corner (where the cut was) using another corner as a pattern.<br><br>By keeping the flap 30&quot; long - I was able to take advantage of the existing bolts in the truck and didnt have to drill any new mounting holes.. I used the two bolts holding the inside rear fender slash guard (at the wheel well opening) and the one bolt at the top of the the rocker panel support arm.<br><br>i used large clips to hold the flap in place while if found what position i wanted it in.. I ended up with the upper outside edge right on the edge of body at the body side molding crease..<br><br>12&quot; wide gives you good coverage with the LT 265 tires, but anything wider and you would want a 14&quot; flap.. Also if you move the flap outward anymore you wont be able to use the rock panel support arm bolt.. <br><br>With the flap being 30&quot; long - it extends about 15 1/2 inches below the rocker panels and is about 7 1/2 inches off the ground.<br><br>I measured various places in relation to the flap and truck body to make sure both sides were even. and also just looking down the side of the truck you square the flap to the tires..<br><br>When i got the flap in place I was able to push the flap against the bolts to mark the correct positioning.. Then drilled holes for the bolts..<br><br>All together.. I spent $4 on the flap - $17 on handheld jig saw, $2 for blades.. and less than 2 hours labor from start to finish..<br><br>This rubber flap is quite flexible, so it may end up hitting the tail pipe and melting at some point.. You can also get &quot;anti-sail&quot; flaps for about $9 each that are hard plastic that wont bend.. My next project may be to redo this using anti-sail flaps<br><br>All i need now is some sort of stainless steel decoration for the bottom of the flap, which would also add weight to keep it from flying back so far..<br><br>I dont have a digital camera.. but if anyone want to see the finished product, I will take some pics and can post them at a later date..<br><br><br>thanks..