Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Diff between nozzles and injectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 09:18 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is hard to hand build an injector and compete with a mass produced product made in Brasil. The Brazilian Bosch factory can build thousands of sets per month with ease.

Even if I went to minimum wage and worked 3 shifts, I could never compete dollar to dollar with that. Sooner rather than later not just the custom injector guy will not be able to compete with the third world marketplace cheap products. Everyone will begin to feel the pinch and many will be driven out of biz.

That being said, the RV injector is a great little piece for the cash. Almost an unbelieveable price, even at retail. No US based company using US labor could do that. Unfortunantly for me I AM US labor

Don~
Old 06-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Chapter President

If you would just build me a set of injectors at minimum wage then we could all be happy, well, at least I would be.

I remember you saying it takes about 10 min to drill one hole. I know where the higher cost comes from.

I wasn't trying take anything away from your work or slam you on your price, just making a point about the lower HP injectors. I'm uneducated in the injector manufacturing business, but if there is one thing I do know, a man's got to make a profit.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:14 AM
DTR Advertiser

We live in a high cost of living society. With plenty of built in costs that other countries dont have. Chinese workers, skilled workers make 100 dollars per week. When GM moves some of their manufacturing of new cars to China they announced they will pay 200 per week to the workers and provide some benefits as well. Compared to a cost of 54 dollars per hour to pay for a US worker or 2160 dollars per week there is no way in the world market that GM cant make this move eventually.

Toyota said last week that they are willing to raise the price of their cars in the US to help GM out. To help ease some of GM's troubles. WTH? Its a sad day when Toyota would offer to raise the price to help GM. Back 20 years ago it was often said that if GM failed the US failed. Now thats a mess, that cant be fixed easily.

AS consumers we are all used to rebates on new cars, cheap prices from Walmart outfits for foreign made products and so on. It is great to fill your shopping cart full of plastic trinkets and inexpensive things and save money, but we now have a textile industry that is just plain gutted. Many many people are out of work.

We all grew up trying to save cash on everything. Especially if we were the generation after the depression. The market knows this. They know we look for value first and worry about the where and when it came from second. Or the impact it has on others. Jegs, Summit, Crane Cams, Comp Cams, etc all have a 100 dollar camshaft for the small block chevy. Every one of those cams is made in either India or China. In the US, we cant even have a cam ground for a 100 dollars in raw cost. The warehouses sell them for 100 dollars after they take their profits and package it and they throw in some lifters. Try that with US labor. LOL.

I guess I am ranting. Again. US made products are just more expensive and we will never compete with the third world stuff until we become third world ourselves. Maybe Toyota can bail us out of that too.

Don~
Old 06-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Chapter President

I think the only reason Toyota is going to help GM is to prevent a backlash. It also silly to blame the consumer for trying to shop economically. I would guess it's more the buisness culture than the consumer and the overseas trade agreement made by the people we put in office. CEO who make millions apon millions and still can't keep a company profitable. Heath insurance costs are another huge burden on US workers and companies. History also shows, where one industries fails another springs up. Here in NC a lot of textile jobs are gone, but the Bio-Medical field is moving in to pick up some slack.

Who's to blame here? I'm thinking the guy who shops at Walmart is at the bottom of the list....
Old 06-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made in the USA all the way.

That's why i'm afraid this will be the last cummins i buy. Might have to go back to a Ford.

MY VIN STARTS WITH A 1........DOES YOURS?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nope-- it starts with a 3, and it doesn't bother me in the least bit.

Don's correct that the US labor cost is prohibitively higher than in other countries. Why is this so?

Well, it has to do with the fact the we as Americans enjoy the highest average standard of living in human history. No joke. Even the poorest Americans often have cell phones and other luxuries.

How many people on welfare don't have a cell phone? Or a TV? Or even a car?

The bottom line is that many Americans enjoy a standard of living much higher than they have made for themselves as a result of the mandatory generosity of the US taxpayer.

The high taxation rate drives up employment costs.

Another gov't action that drives up employment costs are mandatory benefits-- i.e forcing employers to provide health insurance, retirement, or what have you.

All the do-gooder mandates from the US gov't have the undeniable effect of placing at a competitive disadvantage the US business or US labor force relative to a business or labor force operating within a country with no such mandates.

I find it ironic that the people complaining about outsourcing and the loss of US jobs to the overseas markets are the SAME ones who beg and plead for the gov't to force onerous regulatory burdens upon their employers (via mandatory health, safety, retirements, whatever benefits) EVEN AS they go to Wal-Mart and consume one Chinese-made good after another.

Hypocrisy?

jh
Old 06-16-2005, 03:29 PM

Hohn..........."Wll said. As hard as I may, I couldn't say it any beter. Seems like I used to see on the back of the Wally World trucks, "buy American made". Hard as I try, there's not much left to buy.

..Preston.............And my truck is a 3..
Old 06-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Chapter President

My truck is a 1, but I bought it used. Either way, an American benefited from me buying it.

The money saved by someone shopping at Wally World most likely turns into expendable income anyway and is used to go out to dinner, put into a college fund, IRA, grocerys, taking a vacation. I think WalMart does 1 billion a year trade with China, that's a drop in the bucket compared to GDP. Don't forget Walmart is one of Americas largest employers, so they do use some of that money to pay employees, taxes, heathcare, insurance, lawyers, maintainance crews, pay the power bill, pay to build new Walmarts et cetera. Most of, if not all are American.

I love American companies so much that I agree to pay higher property taxes so my neighbors will have a good job working for DELL. Incentives are another way of saying BRIBE. Even though they will be putting together computers with outsoursed parts made in China or Japan or even I dare say it, Korea!

Back to the topic.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Registered

Ive put new nozzles in my 02 dodge 1 ton. Im 16 and i installed em in a little under 2 hours. I didnt have them pop tested but they are still doing great. They are a lot cheaper than buyin the whole injector and they work just as good.
brian
Old 07-07-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
They work just as good? Really? As good as what? I mean, you're speaking from experience, right?

No offense, but with 4 posts to your credit, and 16 years of age, you may want to establish some credibility before making statements like that.

jmo
Old 07-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Registered

yes im speaking from experience because my dads truck has the same injectors in it but his was the whole thing. the bodys and nozzles preassembled. So there fore ive got somthing to compare it to and they work jsut as good for a lot less money.