Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

did i hurt my VP44?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
did i hurt my VP44?

I was on my way home, driving through the flat farm country of Illinois about 200 miles from my home in Missouri, when my f.p. gauge started to show that my L.P. was on it's way out.

I stopped a couple times to both let it rest, and to try and find a replacement pump. I didn't have any luck finding anything where I was, Ironically, my hometown O'Rielly's had 2 in stock, so I called a good friend and had him pick one up for me in case I HAD to have somebody drive a couple hours and bring me one.

Long story made short: I decided to go ahead and drive the truck home.

I was not pulling a trailer on anything, I was running unloaded

I drove about 200 miles with the cruise control set at 55 m.p.h.,, I had 3 psi on my fuel gauge, on the rare hill I would encounter it dipped to almost 2 psi.

Did I do any damage to my VP44? I have heard that it should never go below 5psi, but I thought I also heard that the bare minimum was 3 psi. I do have some mods(see signature) but I drove it really easy and the engine wasn't straining or limping or idling rough at all. In fact, at idle the pressure went back up to 6-7 psi.

I've got a new airtex pump to put on, I'm just waiting for a fitting from Vulcan performance to come in the mail
Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove mine like that for 15 miles once, and it's still OK. I don't know about 200 miles. that's why I have a spare under the back seat now.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM

1st Cross you fingers and toes 2nd install new airtex 3rd check for codes 4th drive it a while 5th if trucks still running id say your good to go..
Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 AM

When I bought my truck it had 116K on it. I changed the fuel filter and I couldn't get the canister to fill back up and wound up having to crack injectors...that was pre DTR and I didn't know any better . This also happened each time I changed the filter. So, at 145K I started to bomb the truck and the first thing I put on was gauges and guess what I noticed ...no fp!!!! I think I ran it 39K miles with little to no fp and haven't had any ill effects so far and I have 173K on the clock right now. So no, I don't think you hurt anything.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my lp go out right after i bought my truck, it ran like it had water in the fuel so i ran it even harder to clear it out. Then a buddy squared me away on a new fuel system when i told him what it was doing. that was almost 30k ago.

Then during December i had the truck blow the walbro fuel system fuse and i ran the pickup on no lift pump for a two days as i worked my way out of a cow camp. Truck still runs like a champ with same vp
Old 03-25-2008, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like my thoughts that I hadn't really done any damage could very well be true! That was exactly what I was hoping to hear, was some stories of someone who had to run their truck with a dead/dying lift pump and not hurt the VP.

I actually drove it to my in-laws today, so I could borrow a beater car until my fittings come in from Vulcan, the fuel pressure guage never dipped below 10 and it was a 15 mile trip!! The lp didnt sound real healthy when I turned the key on before startup, but it should make for a good spare to carry with me just in case.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:04 PM

At least you had some pressure going to the VP-44. When I got my truck, I ran several months or maybe more with a bad LP becuase freakin Dodge does not install PF gages. When I installed one, I was reading vacuum and knew I had a bad LP. That was 210,000 miles ago. At least you can say the VP-44 is a great pump because it will suck the heck out of anything in it's path and thus the reason for it's failures. I would suspect alot of IPs are running with low or no fuel pressure because of the crappy stock LPs.

You probably got lucky, but I wouldn't let it happen again. Since I relocated mine to the frame rail, I keep an extra one handy in case of failure. My back up only hits 10 psi as it was getting weak, so it is in the tool box now for just these types of emergencies.
Q
Old 03-25-2008, 03:26 PM

your fine just upgrade the fuel pump, do it once get fass or airdog
Old 03-25-2008, 03:51 PM

The lessened cooling of low fuel pressure might make more of an impact in the hot summer months than it does right now. At this point the damage (if any) is done so just keep on trucking until the vp44 finally gives it up.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 PM
The Guru

If you where driving with a box (tapped wire box), you might need a new pump. If you don't and you have no codes, you will be ok. You just took some of the little life out of the pump but don't worry, they die and get weak with good pumps and lots of pressure. I got used to changing transmissions, tires, front end parts and injection pumps. I've been told that I have a heavy foot.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 99globalwarmer
your fine just upgrade the fuel pump, do it once get fass or airdog
I've been contemplating a high-dollar setup,, I will have to search on here to see what people think of the air dog setup,, I really like the lifetime warranty.
I am curious what kind of filter they use and if I would need to buy them on-line because they wouldn't be available in stores.. I know a lot of people like the fass systems too.

I dont want to change this to a "what is the best fuel system" thread,, but I gotta say that the belt driven setups are catching my attention, like the Rasp setups. I really like the idea of a mechanical pump but still have the electric l.p. for priming for startup/filter changes. Also, if the belt driven pump crapped out somehow the electric pump kicks right in as a backup, no need to pull over and wrench at a rest stop.

Thanks for all the replies. For now I'm gonna install the airtex pump I have already bought and toss the 1/2 worn out carter pump in the toolbox to carry as a spare.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:32 PM
SCC

I don't want to jinx it but I only made it 15 miles when my LP died and then the VP went...hope you don't suffer the same!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
If you where driving with a box (tapped wire box), you might need a new pump. If you don't and you have no codes, you will be ok. You just took some of the little life out of the pump but don't worry, they die and get weak with good pumps and lots of pressure. I got used to changing transmissions, tires, front end parts and injection pumps. I've been told that I have a heavy foot.
I dont have a box or computer-type mods at all, I am running the stock electronics from the factory still.

SCC,, I also hope the same doesn't happen to me!
I did drive the truck about 15 miles after all of this, to borrow my in-laws garage to do the repair cus my truck wont fit in mine... and during the trip I have 10-11 psi the whole time!! I guess it was the long drive the pump couldn't handle.

I'm still waiting for my fittings from vulcan to come in the mail(took the cheapest shipping option) so I still don't have my truck running yet. When I do, I'll post about what I think of the airtex pump as well as pressure numbers I get from it.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:50 PM

I drove mine for over a month with a bad lift pump. I don't know how long before that is was bad, I bought the truck when it was bad. Four years later. Still running.

Dan
Old 03-30-2008, 06:11 PM

The LP on my truck was bad when I bought the truck, and I have no idea how long before i bought it that it went out. I only noticed after I installed gauges. My VP seems fine 20,000 miles later plus bigger sticks so you probably are alright.

Quick Reply: did i hurt my VP44?