Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Did I hurt my motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I hurt my motor?

I'm thinking so. I went and did some WOT runs today and when I got back oil was dripping all underneath my truck. At first I thought it was the headgasket. So I cranked the truck back up and looked all over the engine compartment and see no signs of any oil leaks coming from the top side of the motor at all. Very nice and dry and clean. So I'm thinking it's from the blow by tube cause you can see a nice steady stream of vapor coming out of it. Question though is why would it just suddenly start doing it? It's never done this on any other runs. I've been driving around town all day and have done some WOT runs and parked the truck to run in the store and no oil underneath it. Why this run suddeny? I'm thinking I've got a couple of pistons that are slightly screwed up. Motor still runs perfectly fine though. Idles smooth, drives good, etc.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:19 PM

did you hear any unusual sounds while you were out running it? Maybe Rig you up some kind of listening device to see if you can't pinpoint a cylinder that sounds a little off key. Is it a steady haze out the blowby at idle?
Old 06-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned

you and phil need to take it easy!

brett
Old 06-16-2007, 06:04 PM

I have a couple big rigs at work with the same problem. You can see a steady vapor coming out of them. There are no sounds that give away and problem and only after hauling a heavy load did they drip oil. We found some of the new oils were not lubricating the components as well as they should have. Alot of the new oils have new standards and have eliminated certain lubrication factors in them. We found this out the hard way after 3 runs and our brand new camshafts in the pulling tractors were junk because the tappets ate the cam lobes alive. It also ate the fire and oil rings alive in the cylinders, which made for some long rebuilts and late nights at work. it sounds like the same problem we are having but I can't be sure. Have you changed your oil lately? What type are you using? We only noticed it happing to the rigs after we pushed them with oversized load of telephone polls 120ft in lenght. My boss contacted a few people and we are running good oil now and have seen no problems since.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:11 PM

try checking the breather tube on the front of the front cover to see if the steel mesh in there is shoved in the corner, if so you might need to try to pick it out where it's suppose to be so it has to travel through the mesh
Old 06-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Registered

hmm mine does this too. i think it started when i had her all hopped up with the go fast stuff. she still leaks even tho all im running is the smarty....
Old 06-16-2007, 07:05 PM

Thats just the nature of the beasts. Run it wot and she will come around. Might still be leaking but hey they like it. They like to mark their territory.

It's official blue, with that new pump on there its now sweating horsepower!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those newer 2nd gens dont have a vaccum pump do they? those can pressurize the block if the seal goes.
I seriously doubt you did any damage if the EGTs were under control.
Maybe do an oil analysis and see if theres any crazy amount of wear metals, that may give you some clues if you think something has been damaged in the top end.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:29 PM

how many miles on her Tyler?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Banned

sounds like another member of the 3rd gen club
Old 06-16-2007, 10:57 PM

Is a steady, light haze out of the oil filler tube or crankcase vent a bad thing?

Thing has to breathe...
Old 06-16-2007, 11:20 PM

I say Vacuum pump. Just did mine, it makes a mess when it leaks and you don't know where it's coming from. I hope that's all it is....
Old 06-16-2007, 11:32 PM

Dont worry just sweatin
Old 06-16-2007, 11:56 PM
Banned

No noises at all. Just as smooth and calm as can be. Oil doesn't have any diesel smell in it. I've got I think around 6k on this oil. It's a synthetic oil I get from a buddy. It's 15w-40. I just rebuilt the vaccum pump about 3 weeks ago so I know it's not that. Unless it just suddenly decided to burst. Last oil analysis I had came back clean as a whistle. The motors got 136k hard miles on it. I guess after half a dozen or so WOT passes it just decided to come out an once. Glad to know that yall think it's ok. It's just nasty to see oil dripping off from my under carriage. I mean there's drips going all the way back to the tranny. No odd noises or anything at all though.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:58 PM

No weird noises, I wouldnt worry about it. At one of our last MN meets there was a fella there with a P-Pump 24V, he made a few hard runs with it came back and within 2 min. I noticed a puddle of something under his truck about where the blow by tube is that was the size of a basketball. I just had to go up to the guy and ask if she was Alright or if he wounded her. He just smiled and told me the motor was in great shape, shes just markin her territory. I gathered quickly that these cummins are some sweatin, nose runnin greasy beasts (how to me a diesel should be)

Just like those PSD and duramax guys that FREAK out when they see a drip of oil under their trucks.. Heck us cummins guys, its just a sign of a good runnin truck.

Quick Reply: Did I hurt my motor?