Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

DHRA 2.8 Inducer Bore Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DHRA 2.8 Inducer Bore Turbos

Ok, my head hurts. I've read for months trying to decide on what to run for my new turbo and I don't know that I'm any closer to a decision. What I find most difficult is finding specs on the inducer bore to see if I should bother with it. I know they sell or I could make a reducer, but I'd rather just stick with one that's already sized correctly.

Anybody that knows me, knows I'm a bit off anyway (Not Begle or BigBlue off, but off none the less). And I prefer to run against the grain and away from the crowd. I know the HTT 62s, 64s, 66s and such are pretty popular, but they're pretty pricey too. I just hate spending that much on a windmill.

I plan on putting a set of big sticks in Ol Smokey so fuel shouldn't be much of an issue, but finding a legal, large single that doesn't break the bank is. Here's some of the things I've been looking at:

Garrett Series:

Mainly the GT42 models, I've read a few threads on here and was wondering if its a 2.8 legal turbo? I can't swing a 42R but a regular journal bearing I could. This is going to be for my street stock sled puller and a manual transmission, could I keep it lit? The ones I'm looking at have a 1.1 AR but the compressor is larger than the turbine so I'm concerned about surge, should I swap out compressors? If I do that then what about a GT37 instead and just swap compressors on it?

Schwitzer Series:

Mainly the S300G, is it a 2.8 or smaller?

Any other non-typical turbos anybody would like to add. I'm not against a T4 and make an adapter, but a large T3 (if they exist) would be nice and then all I have to change is down pipe. My turbo doesn't have to have the best of street manners but I might need it to haul something occasionally.

Even just telling me where to find or posting 2.8 friendly turbos would help a lot.

Thanks.
Brian.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing...
No one on here knows

Well Brian,
A straight bolt-on unit is availabe with a 2.8" (71mm) inducer.
Its called the Aurora 5000 from ATS diesel. It runs right under 2 grand and will bolt straight up. It does not require any manifold adapter and will bolt to a b1 or hx40 type down pipe (but I think it comes with one).

The GT42 with standard bearings runs about 1100 bucks and can have a 74mm inducer wheel.
There is also an other GT42 that has a 71mm inducer wheel. Either would serve you well. (I think the GT42's are listed with either the 94mm=71mm or the 102mm=74mm @ inducer bore)

71mm basically equals 2.8"

There are plenty of online websites that convert inches to metric or vice versa.
Like this one:
http://boat.endtas.com/convert.php

On a side note: your bhaf is not going to flow enough for a 2.8" turbo under load.

Haisley and Scheid also sell 2.8" legal turbos.

Another thing: I dont care what anyone says. A 66mm inducer will not cool like a 71mm wheel will. Been there done that.

Watch the video's in my signature both trucks are running 2.8" turbos.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:59 PM

call haisley or sheid they are running s400 turbos with a reducer. i haven't looked at the top pullers engines in the street class but i doubt that they are running a turbo without a reducer
Old 09-17-2006, 09:01 PM

Thanks PourinDiesel, I just thought it was a slow night... lol.

I guess the part I was missing was that inducer wheel = inducer bore? If I'm reading right, I think thats what you're saying? Makes sense now that I think about it but I wasn't sure if I could make that correlation.

As for the BHAF, thanks for the heads up and yes, it will be leaving once I decide on a windmill.

I'll check out your vids and thanks for the tips!
Old 09-17-2006, 09:37 PM

my charger is based off of an hx50 it has a 2.6 inducer wich is basically 66mm with a 71mm (2.8) turbine you can have it made into a full 2.8 as well but my truck is daily driven so this size suits me better. It cost 1180 with the down pipe and it is made by a guy that works for diesel injection in cinci. (he also did my pump) pm me and I can give you his number.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by wana12v
my charger is based off of an hx50 it has a 2.6 inducer wich is basically 66mm with a 71mm (2.8) turbine you can have it made into a full 2.8 as well but my truck is daily driven so this size suits me better. It cost 1180 with the down pipe and it is made by a guy that works for diesel injection in cinci. (he also did my pump) pm me and I can give you his number.
PM Sent.

N/M
Old 09-17-2006, 10:17 PM

Holsets are not known to hold up well when sledpulling.
The technology is outdated if you ask me.
To each his own though....
Borg's and Garrett's rule the roost in the singles arena.

My rear wheel is right at the full 3" mark or a little above.

Trending Topics

Old 09-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Banned

Wow. I've been mentioned in another person's post. I've finally made the big time.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:43 AM

Most of the odd-ball 2.8's won't just bolt up, most need a good amount of modification. I like my wastegated gt42, but it's really too laggy to tow much over 5-6k without excess EGT. If you want it to bolt up, you'll have to look at a modified s300-s400 variant since those are much more common. I'd agree with Justin here, Holsets are fragile.

brandon.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:39 AM

Holsets are ticking time bombs...No more Holset trash for me, unless it's and HX60 or larger!

Good info in this thread!
Chris
Old 09-18-2006, 03:08 PM

I wouldn't necessarily give up on Holsets. It depends on who goes through it. On a 24 Valver, they will last longer than on a 12 Valver with a load of backpressure and rpm. I've been beating the tar out of mine this year. I don't get under the turbo at the end of a pull, and it pulls 60+ psi often.
andy
Old 09-18-2006, 03:13 PM

Well I just happen to have 2 12v's...neither one will ever have another Holset unless it's either stock, or is bigger than an HX60

35's are OK for stock engines, 40's are timebombs as singles or twins, 50/55's are OK, but I'll take a Schwitzer/Garrett any day, and the HX60 and larger are hard to find

Remember though, JMHO,
Chris
Old 09-18-2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by joefarmer
Most of the odd-ball 2.8's won't just bolt up, most need a good amount of modification. I like my wastegated gt42, but it's really too laggy to tow much over 5-6k without excess EGT. If you want it to bolt up, you'll have to look at a modified s300-s400 variant since those are much more common. I'd agree with Justin here, Holsets are fragile.

brandon.
How much RPM do you need to get it lit? I don't tow much, just an occasional 16' tandem with a tractor or car. How many lbs of boost do you have yours wastegated at? I don't mind one that doesn't bolt up as long as its worth it.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:08 PM

these chargers bolt up and are using the hx50 compressor but the exhaust is borgwarner. It is basically a copy of a pro street 66. on a 12v with 370's and 20* of timing with a 215 it made 544 hp. At 55lbs of boost drive pressures are 53psi. Im running 23* timing and ddp4's and will hopefully dyno saturday at smoken the blugrass on dunbars dyno so ill let you know what I make. But these chargers seem to be tough, no surging and 60+ psi havent seen one break yet. I have two friends running them as well Cousin Billy from BRC diesel sold it to me as an alternative to a pro street 66. But it is a custom charger not an hx50 and it is top quality Ill try to get pictures in the morning.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:09 PM

I'll have to look ya up when ya dyno , i have a hybrid holset on the lines of what u have but mine uses a 2.8 inducer i hope to have it here this week tell CB i said Hi

Quick Reply: DHRA 2.8 Inducer Bore Turbos