Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Dealer sold with BOMBS...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer sold with BOMBS...

I just bought the truck listed in my sig Tuesday. My question is this. The dealer sold this truck to me as a used vehicle wth 58k miles. He told me there is a 100k mile warranty on the engine. Also, I have the window sticker, etc. that is marked warranty, etc. etc.

So, if modifications void warranties (so I have been reading on here...) did he fraudulently sell me the truck? I had no idea that the truck was modified, I know nothing of diesels, and bought because my previous truck was not pulling my boat the way I thought it should. (4.7L '02 QC 4x4)

Not planning anyhing here, but if it blows up, I would not enjoy fighting with the dealership about whether or not they should warranty it, especially when they sold it to me like that with a warranty.

Thanks!

By the way... What the heck does the acronym BOMBS stand for anyway? I get the general idea, but I would like to know.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:01 PM
GSP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats modified on it?
Old 10-13-2004, 06:31 PM

Better Off Modified Baby (B.O.M.B)
Old 10-13-2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by GSP
Whats modified on it?
See this thread... https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=52755

But the short of it is that it at least has a BD Power Race Pro box installed. Not sure about injectors, etc. I have been reading threads in here about units like the above voiding warranties on engines.

Thanks,
Raven
Old 10-13-2004, 07:16 PM
GSP

You know car salesmen ... They will lie and tell you anything to make a sale.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by GSP
You know car salesmen ... They will lie and tell you anything to make a sale.
Yeah, but it doesn't really matter. If they sold it to me with that equipment on it, they have to honor their promises, right? Or it is fraud? Just trying to get some opinions here...

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2004, 09:24 PM
GSP

Raven...

Ya know how to tell if a salesman is lieing?????

His lips are moveing
Old 10-13-2004, 09:30 PM

the Racepro taps the pump wire and that'll void your warranty quicker than...well you get the drift.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:32 PM

I know... I just want to know what I should do to cover my butt at this point.....??? I know diesel repairs ain't cheap, and if this thing ends up in the shop needing an engine, I do not want them to reject the warranty when I did not install the mod.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:39 PM

for starters, take the box off if you don't want it on the truck.....

is the pump wire tapped?? if so, you're kind of in a pickle... that's the easiest place to find a "BOMB". This mod won't cause you to replace the engine... most likely it would lead to pump failures which aren't cheap but are far from an engine replacement.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:43 PM

a BD Racepro is essentially an Edge Comp... how does the clutch feel??
Old 10-13-2004, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by graphitecumnz
a BD Racepro is essentially an Edge Comp... how does the clutch feel??
As far as I can tell, it feels fine. I have tried to make it slip and haven't been able to. The pedal engages a little higher than I like them to, but I do not know if that is normal for this truck or not, so can't tell. I have not tried to haul anything with it yet, I will probably hook up my boat in a day or two and see if I can make the clutch slip with a light load (the boat is ~4500 lbs.) just so I know for sure.

Why? Is there something particularly bad about the Race Pro and Clutches? Or do you just suspect that the truck has been run hard?

I can tell you this, the guy had one hell of a huge plate welded between the frame members under the bed for a gooseneck trailer. I just found that today. Whatever he was doing with it, he certainly had it built strong....
Old 10-13-2004, 11:45 PM

I (techs) will usually look for a pierced wire on the VP if it fails. If we send one in that way the claim can be denied and the dealer can end up eating the repair. I'm not going to be called in to the office and have to explain why we have to pay a 1K+ repair. You've drove the truck with the mods. You take em off now and your going to feel like you've put a dress and high heels on your truck......it will have lost it's jewels. The best you might do is to get the dealer themselves to cover the truck....even if it breaks down and ends up at another dealer. I went through a deal like that last year and it got ugly.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:17 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Did you try going to the dealer and asking? I would think that would be your first move. I can bet you I'm sure the sales guy wasnt smerking as you drove away with your tainted truck. If it was bad to have these add ons why did they take it in as a trade in? I personally wouldnt worry about it because believe it or not there is actualy dealers out there that sell and install some aftermarket goodies. There is a dealer 50 miles from me that sells BD, Banks, and Edge stuff and does HP auto tranny stuff. Very cool! If I have trouble I go there. You can call these aftermarket companies and they will tell you what dealers carry their products. And then there is the other kind of dealers that if they think you did anything they get slap happy with the VOID stickers. Go figure. I dont understand why the differences.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by graphitecumnz
for starters, take the box off if you don't want it on the truck.....

is the pump wire tapped?? if so, you're kind of in a pickle... that's the easiest place to find a "BOMB". This mod won't cause you to replace the engine... most likely it would lead to pump failures which aren't cheap but are far from an engine replacement.
I know there are some wires going from the BD Power box to the lift pump area and it ties into a couple of plugs there. That was just a very quick look under the hood tonight while there was still some daylight.

I dunno... I guess I am just nervous about this whole deal. I really like the truck, but I just don't know how the previous owner treated it and now that I know a dealer will likely give me flak if something tears up...???? I don't feel like spending >30k for a new one, so I figured I was doing the right thing buying this truck slightly used. I think I will talk to the manager at the lot in the morning.

I don't deal with uncertainty well when it deals with thousands of dollars I guess..... I know if I were to have to trade the truck in around 6 months from now, I would take a real beating. If it were not even at a point where I could trade it in (dead engine, etc.), then I would really be screwed.

Quick Reply: Dealer sold with BOMBS...