Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Dana 80 rear options

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dana 80 rear options

Saturday night I gave her all she had to win a pull off and it cost me some spider gears and possibly the carrier. it was so bad that in 2wd the driveshaft would turn but the truck didnt move.

I got the carrier out last night but didnt take it apart, most of the spider gears were laying in the diff, with some larger pieces caught in the carrier. Can anyone tell me if there is more damage than just the spiders since the truck would not turn the axles at all. I'll pull the carrier apart tonight, but i can see that there are some gouges in it, but if they arent too bad I hope to re-use it.

If the carrier is bad or something else, I'm wonder what other options are working for folks, especially when pulling. Detroit, Auburn, ARB(cant afford that so its not really an option) just rebuild what i have and maybe re-stack the clutch packs for better grip when pulling.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:30 PM

if the spiders are broke then the aselx will not turn so chanses are thats all that broke if you have 4.10 gears you can get a detriot locker and never have to worry about it agine but if you have 3.55 gears you cant get a direct fit locker (there supposed to be making one but i dont think its avaliable yet) but you can use a dana 70 locker and re drill the ring gear bolts for the larger pattern or call hm or eep and get a spool and the axels
Old 06-04-2007, 01:45 PM

Look at it as a hidden chance to upgrade your differential. Get a detroit locker and be done with it!! They are a little squirrely in the ice but heck, it's alot more fun driving sideways than straight ahead anyway!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 04:50 AM
Banned

most of these options are not made for the 80, you have to buy the 70 version and redrill it to fit the 80's ring gear
Old 06-05-2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
most of these options are not made for the 80, you have to buy the 70 version and redrill it to fit the 80's ring gear
You are right of course. I just don't know what other options are available for a D80 that work and are strong. Note that I havn't done this yet, probably will in the future, but I believe you just slot the ring gear holes to fit the larger circumference bolt pattern for the D80 ring gear. I think the ring gear has the same inner diameter as the HD70 so it should index ok. If it does it should be as strong as the correct application as long as the machine work is carefully done so that should not be an issue. Good Luck and let us know what you do.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:41 PM

Josh is running a Detroit limited slip unit that works good. He doesent have many pulls on it, but no problems so far, and it always pull with all 4 tires in the back

Eric
Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Banned

mine has always pulled with both in the rear and anytime ive ever done a burnout both were locked in.

well i got the carrier apart the carrier is missing chunks. it's prolly ok to run with a rebuild but for peace of mind I am going to replace it. I found a carrier assembly on ebay that i am going to bid on. we'll see how it goes.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:58 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
How does your crown and pinion look? You'll be real lucky if they came through ok.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by torquefan
How does your crown and pinion look? You'll be real lucky if they came through ok.
they are fine i made sure to double check them after cleaning the oil off. even ran my fingers on them to see if i felt something i couldnt see. they are still ok thank goodness!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Banned

Looks like I might have scored on a complete carrier with powr-lok "posi" unit thats almost brand new. its has less than 20k on it and has been tested/inspected. its a good price too, alot cheaper than i have seen carriers for in the past.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Pwr-Lok on a Dana 80?? Thought they were discontinued in 1998?
Or is that what they now call the Pwr-Lok ...without the floating cross-shaft?

RJ
Old 06-06-2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
Looks like I might have scored on a complete carrier with powr-lok "posi" unit thats almost brand new. its has less than 20k on it and has been tested/inspected. its a good price too, alot cheaper than i have seen carriers for in the past.
Good news! Just check to be sure it's a powerlock by looking at the ends of the spider pins. If they are in a round hole in the carrier housing it's a trac lok style and not a good posi. They might be strong enough, I'm not sure, they just don't work well as a posi. If the pins are in a hole that is oblong with a triangular shape it's a true power lock. Torque on the differential causes the pins to walk up the ramp which causes more load on the clutches which in turn causes more torque to be transmitted to the wheel with less traction. When you look at it it's pretty obvious how it works. Good Luck
Old 06-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RowJ
New Pwr-Lok on a Dana 80?? Thought they were discontinued in 1998?
Or is that what they now call the Pwr-Lok ...without the floating cross-shaft?

RJ
to be honest i dunno what it is. i thought thats what it was called. at this point i am not waiting even more time to spend even more money on some high dollar locker.

im going to put a stock carrier with the "traction/limited slip" device already installed. down the road when i have the time and money i will upgrade. all i know is that my carrier is almost completely solid, not the kind with the large opening in it. the clutches have 4 big ears that lock into the carrier.

is this the "trac-lok" then?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barry St John
... Just check to be sure it's a powerlock by looking at the ends of the spider pins. If they are in a round hole in the carrier housing it's a trac lok style .. If the pins are in a hole that is oblong with a triangular shape it's a true power lock. Good Luck
FYI, In case you haven't seen one....here is pic of my Dana 70, full Pwr-Lok... with floating shaft (oblong hole).

Quick Reply: Dana 80 rear options