Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

cummins SUPERCHARGER

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
BMW has a Turbo Kit that they offer on the Mini Cooper that bolts in with the Factory Super Charger. This takes power to 345hp at the wheels!!!!!! This is used like a Twin Set-up on our Cummins. The seperate chargers compound the air to make the total package more efficient. The stock Mini S makes around 140hp to the wheels.
A 345HP mini cooper?? That's nuts LoL I must find and drive one of these!!
Old 08-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by apwatson50
I believe that this has been done before, i'm sure if you google searched you could find something.

"Here's an idea I had been thinking about for awhile. What if you took a turbo charger and instead of running on a common shaft you hooked up basically an alternator to the exhaust side and used an electric motor to run the compressor side?"

This would be much less efficient. You loose efficiency creating the electricity, then you loose again turning the electricity back into work.
I didn't think about loosing efficiency on converting the electricity. I bet one day they will make something that would work for that. But by then we maybe all hydrogen powered. I would also think it would be more reliable than todays VG turbos. But hey I'm no electrical engineer.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:42 PM

I believe that this has been done before, i'm sure if you google searched you could find something.
I'm thinking what better way to supercharge a turbo than to power the turbo itself. But if you're electonically spinning the cold side, I'm not sure what effect the powered wheel would have on the hot side??

This would be much less efficient. You loose efficiency creating the electricity, then you loose again turning the electricity back into work.
Thats what I was thinking- you'd need 100% effeceint conversion in order not to be losing energy =\
Old 08-23-2006, 12:26 AM
The Guru

I've talked to PDR about there supercharger project. They told me that they put on a small supercharger and ran twins/single after the super. It made tons of bottom-end ton. What ever configuration that they ran it made less power than engine without the super. I think that they ran too small of a supercharger. I've been thinking about using a Procharger 1600 cfm charger as the primary. I talked to Procharger, they told me that the truck wouldn't make enough power to run the super (at engine idle speed) to generate 10-15 psi of boost. To get the super to generate enough air you have to spin it to around 55000rpm. They have a gearbox but you really need some big sized pulleys to get this thing to spin. A gaser can run 9000 rpms, a diesel kinda runs out of steam for most of us at 3300 to 4000 rpms depending on your set-up.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie8301
I can't find the thread that went with this pic but I think it was making 10 psi at idle and 90ish at wot

Randy
One Word...YIKES!!! Sure would hate to **** this fella off...he could just drop the hammer and the squeel from all that air moving would be enough to make the incredible hulk cry.