Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cummins Powered Jeep Wrangler

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by ddestruel

stock axles though wont get you far maybe in and out of the garage
.......Agreed, that is a horrible mismatch of driveline components......I eventually came to the same conclusion as you......the best torque to weight ratio is a BBC.....and although some may scoff at this, it is also a cost effective swap compared to any other motor that can produce similar torque. FWIW, a BBC is actually a very nice fit in a CJ or YJ.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one has mentioned how long the rear drive shaft would be... The Jeeps have short drive shafts to begin with plus adding a longer engine and transmission, would you have enough length for the drive line to not bust a u-joint and yoke every time he droops the suspension?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:21 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried to touch on the driveline issue, yes his line will be extremely short like in an 14" ballpark unless he stretches his wheelbase or if he goes with the GM bellpattern and puts a SM420 or 465 with D20 behind the diesel hell have the room for a longer driveline but he'll be battling torque capacity. Most guys who have done this conversion usually run an extended wheel base or if its in a cj-7 they have to keep the height down to keep driveline angles in check fue to the short driveline or they run the 4BT which allows them the room to do all the things they want

Yep its an expensive learning curve when you ignore those who have been there and done that

Definately the BBC fits very nicely and the MORE bombproof SBC mounts bolt right up. I kept going back and forth between a 396 BBC or my AMC 401

Another nice option is using an AMC motor $ for $ they are pretty close to a SBC to build now though the universatility of a SBC is hard to beat, and AMC 360 can be built with 400 ft/lbs easily Or I enjoy my fuel injected AMC 401 with 362 ft/lbs off of idle up to 521 ft/lbs at 4000rpm and 407hp she moves alright not a BBC but she holds her own pretty well the aluminium heads went a long ways in dropping the weight from the orginal cast iron units probably dumped a good 40lbs off the engine, the HP and torque increases though were not as big as i thought, though she is slightly under cammed only spins to 6000 , idles great over the rocks at least and does ok in the sand.

no 200 hp nitrous here though dont think my motor would take that very well

Big torque and big engines go a long ways to idling and driveability and like CTD Nut said power to weight a V-8 is hard to beat be it BBC AMC or whatever but the right V-8 with the Right cam and fuel injection will supprise you and will fit much better than an oversized I-6 in the small engine bay
Old 07-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't want to come off as some kind of nitrous junky!! The BBC in my Jeep is a relatively mild motor.....only about 400 hp....just built for as much bottom end torque as possible......the spray was just added for kicks.....I have too many friends that are drag racers and certified nitrous junkies....I got roped in!! The power is impressive - nothing like pulling up to a 5.0 in a big 'ol Jeep on 40's and ANNIALATING IT!!....But now the novelty has worn off a bit and I don't bother with it much anymore......realistically, spray is useless on the trail or rocks!!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:44 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by CTD NUT
I........I don't bother with it much anymore......realistically, spray is useless on the trail or rocks!!
You could probably have the fastest time to the top of Potato Salad hill in MOAB a little juice and the you just be carried to the top of the hill

i dont blame you if i could have done it all over again i have alot of things i would re-do