Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cryogenically frozen brake parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My father cryo's lots of part in the race motors he build with great success and I even had my baseball bat treated what a difference it made, it even sounded different. When we played in Parry Sound their coach wanted the ump to check my bat to see if it had been tampered with. Anyways cryo = good. If I ever have to rebuild my cummins it's getting cryo'd. My 427 is on it's way to be done this fall and the clutch on my sled was done 3 years ago.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:23 PM

Hey Guys, Now your talking my language, My brother and I own a cryo treatment facility in Winnipeg Canada. You are all close but here is the true figures. Liquid Nitrogen's Temperature = - 190 Degree's celcius> -320 Degree's F. The process involves computer controlled ramp down cycle which slowly brings the temp. down approx. 35 Degree's per hour.You must be very careful because you can create thermal shock which in turn can actually fracture many alloys. There is allot of cryo companies out there that are trying to cheat the process to save on Nitrogen costs but they in fact are creating a bad name for the process . We have many customers in many different industries that have given solid testimonials on great results. Cryogenic Processing is an extension of the heat treating process. It converts the retained austinite left from the heat treating process and converts it to martinsite which is the durable tough matrix part of steel. Heat tempering is necessary no more than + 350 F after the process to complete the conversion of what i just explained. We do many automotive components for the racing industry from crankshafts and pistons to complete engines and Trannys. If there wasn't a proven track record on cryogenics I don't think the top race engine builders in North America would be using as they all do. Check out Nascar there is tons of info on cryo in that industry. As far as brake components We will NOT do these as the cryo process affects the friction of the surfaces, which in turn decreases the braking process. They will run alot cooler as the friction is reduced which defeats braking principles. Not only that the Liabilty factors if someones brakes fail because they were treated. I think you know what I getting at. The racing world like Indy will treat there brake components because they create a lot of heat when your braking at 200mph consistantly, but as far as the average street machine your wasting your money and possibly your life. I'm sorry if I am rambling but I just thought I would share some of my first hand knowledge of this subject with everyone as you have all helped me understand more about the diesel world. If anyone has questions regarding cryogenics just drop me a line and will give all the info you need we have drawers of information on university studies to Nasa Reports.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:17 AM

Cryogenics

To reply further to this topic, U-joints,bearings respond very well to the process,but any components with rubber seals or covers,will be a problem. You need to remove any rubber off the component as the LN2 will disintigrate the rubber as it will not hold up under these temperatures. Taps & dies, punches & dies also respond very well. In fact most of the wood saw blades by Vermont America are treated, those little screw driver tips you see in the hardware stores are treated. Actually there is a brand of these called Ice Tips. As far as Weed eater string and nylons etc. there is no way of testing the true results. I believe there is alot companies pushing the marketing envelope. We do alot of rifle barrels for hunters and custom rifle makers. The process helps to relieve the stresses created from the machining of the riflings and helps lessen the barrel whip which in turn improves the accuracy. All my rifles are treated and the results were spectacular. Anyway, this topic can be very lengthly. If anyone has components they are considering for this process let me know and I will be more than happy to advise whether it is worth your while. The process is not that expensive, I will be more than happy to give special pricing to members on this site.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How much do you charge for pistol and rifle barrels?

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-19-2004, 12:57 PM

Hey Mike, We charge $25.00 U.S. for rifle barrels and $10.00 U.S. for pistol barrels. Freight is extra.(Members only price) Barrels cannot have the actions on because of our stupid Billion Dollar and climbing gun registry. Regards Rey
Old 03-19-2004, 01:06 PM

Thanks.

Mike
Old 03-19-2004, 03:01 PM

Hey Mike, another thing I completely forgot about. Due to again our gun registry we cannot handle pistol barrels as they are restricted weapons in Canada.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:04 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
stonewalldiesel: What do you think about treating turbo shaft, compressor wheel, turbine wheel?
Could this hepl with reducing the risk to break the shaft when barking the turbo?

Will heating the part reduce or destroy the effect?

AlpineRAM
Old 03-19-2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by stonewalldiesel
Hey Mike, another thing I completely forgot about. Due to again our gun registry we cannot handle pistol barrels as they are restricted weapons in Canada.
Pistol barrels you can handle. Just not the pistol grip frame which contains the serial number. The pistol frame is the restricted part of the weapon-not any other part that makes up the pistol.

Mike
Old 03-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by AlpineRAM
What do you think about treating turbo shaft, compressor wheel, turbine wheel?
Could this hepl with reducing the risk to break the shaft when barking the turbo?
It helps quite a bit!!

J.R.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:29 PM

Thanks Mike , It's so mind boggling now days with what they will allow across the border and what they won't, especially with the gun registery. Regards Rey
Old 03-19-2004, 10:37 PM

Hey Alpine, absolutely the process will definitely help prevent premature breakage the turbo itself is under alot of stress. The process would help to strengthen shaft and relieve the stresses. The process once completed properly is a one time process for the life of the component. Also the cCryogenic process will not change the rockwell hardness to any significant degree maybe a point or two depending on the material.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:19 AM

I heard it said when our company got Cryo equipment, that just normal use of an engine will cause the cooling and heating cycles required to accomplish the alignment, of the material, we're after.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:45 AM

Steel foundries age steel in the elements such winter /summer for years this aging process helps to accomplish what were discussing but will never complete the conversion entirely due to temperature factors and it takes years and years to accomplish. Cryogenics accomplishes it in a 72 hour period. Normal use of an engine in the heating and cooling cycles will never accomplish the sub zero temperatures that Cryogenics achieves. If you live in a area that achieves -320F GOD BLESS YA man because I thought we were cold up north here but WOW . Seriously, Your heating and cooling cycles of your engine will not achieve what is necessary to convert, although overheating an engine will definitely cause catastrofic results that you really don't want to experience but that is on the extreme end of the heat cycle. There is so much skeptism regarding cryogenics that we will try to explain the good the bad and the ugly. You gotta try to believe in it. The results are in the finished product. We have had customers who think now my parts are invincable because I treated them NOT TRUE!!! Like anything if you abuse it ,you'll lose it!!
Old 03-20-2004, 09:25 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
stonewall: sounds interesting. Will heating up the part until red hot and then cooling it quite fast (by ambient air blowing over it) effect the results or will it just stay the same?
By how much will the mechanical properties change?

AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: Cryogenically frozen brake parts