Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cryo'd rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cryo'd rotors

I need some new rotors bad. Mine are grooved horribly from a set of cheap pads I put on them. I had a shop look at them to see if they could be turned and they laughed at me. Anyways, I'm looking at going with the cryo'd power slot rotors. I definately want slotted rotors cause I am lifted with some big tires and I do pull a small trailer through the city so my brakes get hot quick. Is there any other brand out there that yall recommend? What about pads? I've heard great things about the hawk pads. Thanks for the help yall.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:41 AM

I've had Hawk Carbomet Pads on the '95 for about 65K miles...almost ready for them again, but doing what that truck does, I'm IMPRESSED with that mileage

Chris
Old 07-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Banned

Ya. I only get about 30k out of a set of the really expensive wagners and I don't tow anything. Been that way since I bought the truck. One things for sure, I'll never go cheap on pads ever again.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:53 AM

Blue, is your 01 past mid year production with rear disks also?

I've also been keeping track of brake threads because my original rotors are still on the truck at 115,000 miles. I do have an 01.5 but I'd still like to improve braking some. I have liked the Performance Friction pads I put on. They took out the slight pulse I had previous and I didn't even turn the rotors.

I've read the same things as you on the Powerslot cryo'd rotors as helping stopping performance. I also have read positives on Brembo rotors. I've read either side of the argument on Hawk pads but I think there are several compositions and that may be the reason. Seems mostly the negatives are squeals from the Hawk pads, but I'd bet that is a harder metallic pad. If it improved stopping, I could deal with that though, I just think I'd try and coat the back of the pad to prevent the vibration which in most cases causes the squeals.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as if you're going to add the GO, you better add some STOP too!

If you do a brake swap, let us know how what you go with and how they work out for you.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:00 AM

Yeah, cheap NAPA pads junked my rotors in less than 40K...the Hawks were only a few bucks higher from Rapid Brake in Washington. Look up Sam Peterson's phone number here on DTR, and give him a call. He knows Dodge Brakes

Chris
Old 07-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Banned

Tiger I do have an 01.5 (thank god) but like you, I'm always looking for ways to improve upon stuff. I've got an email into a couple of places so I'll let yall know tomorrow what if anything I hear.

Chris, thanks. I'll do that on monday.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
I've had Hawk Carbomet Pads on the '95 for about 65K miles...almost ready for them again, but doing what that truck does, I'm IMPRESSED with that mileage

Chris
yep, the Perf Friction pads are carbon metallic also. I personally think this is probably one of the best compounds but they do get a little dusty on the wheels. Ah heck, it's probably a good excuse to wash the truck anyway. I like the pads because they do seem to stop better but are also still quiet.

Blue, those 4 wheel disks make a huge difference. I remember when that option came out how nice it was. Now they are kind of "run of the mill" at best compared to the new trucks out there. My old 98 gasser was terrible to try to stop with the rear drums and it didn't even have a Cummins.....but it was still a **** site better than the 96 Chevy I had.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Banned

Ok. So I'm not gonna do the cryo'd rotors. Especially at $150 a rotor. Am I really gonna lose anything by going with normal slotted rotors instead of cryo'd?

Also, is it the Hawk LTS pads I want?
Old 07-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

Ok so I got ansy and bought the non cryo'd rotors. Got em for $191.99 shipped. Best price I could find. Others I was looking at between $230-250 for no cryo'd. Now for pads.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Banned

Ok. So I drank a beer and decided that I needed the LTS pads from Hawk. I really need to stop drinking and looking at car parts.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:37 PM

Boy, that TST finished off your brakes in a hurry! Let's hope it doesn't do the same to your tranny...

Ooooh, beer, credit card and internet auto parts.....that's a scary combo. I'd have more parts in my garage and no time to install.......oh wait, I already have that problems with a DSS and Mag-hytec cover sitting there waiting on me. Good thing I've got this deck to build........
Old 07-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Banned

Why do you think I got stacks? I was inebriated one night and asked my buddy if I needed them. Woke up the next morning hoping that I hadn't done what I knew I did.

Knock on wood the tranny is holding.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:27 PM

Saw DPPI had the Powerslot cryo'd rotors for $280 for 2. Ouch, that'll leave a mark. Also had $218 for the std slotted rotors. Seeing as I haven't had a warping issue in 115,000 miles out of the stock rotors I think you'll be fine with the std set. Looks like shipping weight is 58 lbs so shipping would be another good chunk of change too I'm sure. Either way, if they improve braking, they'd be worth the money. I think Mark at DPPI recommends the Hawk pads too. Just can't remember which ones.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Banned

I don't remember the price on the cryo'd ones where I bought mine but mine were $181.99 for the standard ones and $10 shipping for normal ground. I could have overnighted them for $139.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:49 PM

Can you share where you ordered yours? I may be ordering a set before too long. Thanks, Matt

Quick Reply: Cryo'd rotors