Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Couple Questions about Oil Pressure gauges!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple Questions about Oil Pressure gauges!

Now I've heard a lot of bad stuff about electric gauges, about how they're not accurate and all that. But does that only apply to electric pressure gauges, or does it involve electric temp. gauges as well? Cause an electric tranny temp and EGT gauge should be accurate right?

I just got a triple dash pod and am in the process of filling it up (in addition to my current gauges). So far, I've got an 1) electric trans temp and 2) engine oil temp. gauge. I'm stuck on what to put in the third hole. I'm leaning towards either engine oil pressure or trans. driveline pressure. I'd prefer the driveline pressure, but would it go higher than 100 psi with a shift kit?
Old 06-09-2007, 01:53 AM

On the A-pillar I have the standard complement; EGT, boost, and trans temp. Under dash I have mechanical fuel pressure, mechanical oil pressure, mechanical water temp, and a digital voltmeter.

I know I'm just duplicating the factory gauges, but I like having mechanical secondaries so I know exactly what's happening with the engine. Electrical guages are OK, and way easier to install than mechanicals, that's why the factory uses electrical. However, I've always found mechanical gauges to be more accurate and reliable. For example, you'd be surprised how far off the factory oil gauge is, my factory voltmeter is also almost one volt off.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:10 PM

Just curious, how much oil pressure does your mechanical gauge show at idle, and normal driving?

Btw, wouldn't mechanical temperature gauges actually be worse? Cause there's a huge lag time before the fluid gets flushed through the thin tubing and reaches the gauge.

EDIT: I just realized something. Even mechanical temp. gauges are still "electrical." The sensor is just located inside the gauge instead of being separate. And a lot of higher end thermometers use thermocouples. So I guess electric temp. gauges are accurate. Pressure gauges are a different story.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:50 PM

When I first start it, oil psi goes way up to about 80, normal cruise about 60+, and with the engine hot at idle 20-40.

Yes, you're right the mechanical water temp gauge is slower to react than the factory electrical gauge. But once it catches up, it reads about the same as the factory temp gauge, so the factory gauge is pretty accurate. Part of the reason I installed these mechanical gauges is I wanted to know how accurate the factory gauges were.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I completely understand why you installed them. I'm about to do the same thing.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by DL1221
Under dash I have mechanical fuel pressure
How is it hooked up? Direct or with an isolator? I've heard horror stories about isolators.
I'd like to hook up two fuel pressure gauges (before and after the filter) and I want to do it right and only once with the most accurate readings possible.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by mudman78
How is it hooked up? Direct or with an isolator? I've heard horror stories about isolators.
I'd like to hook up two fuel pressure gauges (before and after the filter) and I want to do it right and only once with the most accurate readings possible.
Go straight, no isolator with a mechanical gauge.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...pressure+gauge
Old 06-10-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's my solution:

Old 06-10-2007, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the link. What's the needle valve for? A restrictor to prevent the pulsing?