Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Could Removing cowl gasket=more cool air for BHAF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could Removing cowl gasket=more cool air for BHAF?

Just wondering....
I went to reinstall the durned gasket at the back of the engine bay (cowl gasket? sp?) and thought that maybe just maybe I should leave it off. I could see light above the cowl and got to thinking.... hmmm... Since Scotty has determined that cutting a hole in the Cowl for his scottyII will allow more cold air from the windsheild to be forced into the engine bay, I wonder if simply removing the cowl gasket will allow cold air to be froced back into the BHAF area? (+ I could then quit worring about that durned gasket falling off).

Any thoughts?

DuaneWKKC
Old 10-18-2004, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah it wouldn't hurt.

Thats an old Hot Roders trick for when they went to an open element filter on a carb but beware it might let rain in.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:55 AM

It also lets LOTS of fumes into the cab. I just went through the engine compartment to make sure the cowl gasket and foam pieces were all good. Also sealed up the air box under the wipers and cowl to keep fumes out!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya at highway speed the air coming in through the grill is going to push out the fumes. If you remember the bullhoods or whatevere they were called, they were made of fiberglass and would lift about 1" in the center during highway speed and even more during a good head wind or excess speed.

The Scotty system works because the filter is encased away from the engine fumes and funnelled directly from the outside cowl and/or fender vent. The heat shield is a better bet to try to draw from the side fender vent. Maybe some pieces of gasket on that and some other sealing similar to the AFE kits would help.

IMHO... J-eh
Old 10-18-2004, 11:58 AM

From the shape of the cowl, looks like it would be hard to get water down to the BHAF. The cowl raises approx 1/2" to 3/4" under the hood. Look at the pics for the Marine BHAF install to see a pic of the cowl area gasket. As far as fumes, I have never had a problem, but now the blow by bottle is back under the drivers seat attatched to the frame rail, dealer did a 'free' oil change for me by putting in Rosemella instead of the oil I supplied, I havent smelled it either unless stopped with wind blowing just right. What other 'fumes' would be an issue? Of course, I like letting my old Ollie run in a closed barn just to smell it. Burning diesel smells sooo goood!

DuaneWKKC
Old 10-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well basically if you get fumes into your heater, the flow is the wrong direction. Hot air out not cool air in.

Closed barn? That won't work for long..