Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Copper, Multi Layer, or Stock Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copper, Multi Layer, or Stock Head Gasket?

Lost the head gasket last night, 60 PSI and the stock head bolts and gasket did not agree. I do have to give them credit though. They lasted through 4 months worth of pounding from me.

My question is which gasket should I use??? I am going to use the 12mm ARP studs.

What is best for a daily driven 500 HP truck? I have heard that a daily driver should not use a copper gasket. Why??? Is it because that in order to use the copper HG you have to oring the block and the head??? I am assuming that is the reason. I will be only Oringing the head.

Also I have heard there are a couple different types of head studs. I guess the ones form Don M are ready to use, but what about the ones directly from ARP?? Whats the difference???

I am guessing that you don't have to grind the studs on a 24V like on the 12V???

Any one running a head oring/12mm stud setup your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Justin-
Old 12-01-2004, 02:33 PM

Why not a 370 hp marine head gasket?
Old 12-01-2004, 02:46 PM

Isn't that a copper HG???

If so you would have to oring the block and the head. I plan on only doing the head.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:58 PM

Justin,
I would go back to a stock headgasket or ask Piers if he has a regular ISB prepped multilayer 3rd gen gasket.
And of course studs!
You might get someone locally to deck your head.

O rings are nice if you want to risk them.
Blair Pine on the other site wrote that he pushed 50psi for like 5 miles!! straight with a stock headgasket and studs and no failures!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 03:06 PM

I have taken the head down to Hunter Machine for the prep work. That is the same machine shop that did all of Dee Rawson's machine work for the Eat'em Over haul. He was very pleased with Red Hale's work.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:37 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by PourinDiesel

"O rings are nice if you want to risk them."

???? What gives here i think even CAT is using O-rings on thier
twin turbod trucks
Old 12-02-2004, 12:37 AM

I'm running an oringed head, marine HG & DonM ARP studs. I've pushed 72psi daily on the street (if I wanted to at the time) since April 2004. I've also run WOT for 4-5 miles (I was late ). I popped a marine gasket with stock headbolts running the same combination. Needless to say, I'd reccommend getting those studs from DonM.

a regular ISB prepped multilayer 3rd gen gasket.
What's different between the 3rd gen gasket and the marine gasket? Both headgaskets on my wall are a gasket material layer then a metal layer then another gasket material. One's stock and the other's a .030 over marine. Thanks!

brandon.

Trending Topics

Old 12-02-2004, 03:18 AM

ddestrul,
O rings are great.
I'll send you mine in the mail after I get the head off of my 99.
(Its leaking again DOH!)

Once you cut the head, its good for the garbage dump.
Actually, now I'll have a head and manifold to mount in the garage and fab
twin setups on.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:35 AM
DTR Advertiser

Justin you order a new head? I have been thinking of going with a prepped .020 thicker 12v gasket and o rings on my 24v. My stock headgasket is still holding after 18 mos with twins. Dont know how much longer it will last but it owes me nothing. Most people swore it would have blown at least a year ago. Is anyone running a mls gasket on a isb(99-02) yet? Tim
Old 12-02-2004, 10:08 AM

Dont know on that one Tim.
Would be worth a try if someone could prep it for our application.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:38 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to know, im looking at a 98 5spd short bed 12v and thinking twins but only in the 450hp range and for towing so O-rings were something i was considering now i might hold back.

At a peak of 45 PSI i dont suspect that the HG would really be much of an issue i was considering the O-rings as an additional gaurd. truck runs too many miles to be loosing HG's and/ O-rings but like they say you gotta pay to play just now im wondering whats the most reliable option? Hmmm
Old 12-02-2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Timinva
Justin you order a new head? I have been thinking of going with a prepped .020 thicker 12v gasket and o rings on my 24v. My stock headgasket is still holding after 18 mos with twins. Dont know how much longer it will last but it owes me nothing. Most people swore it would have blown at least a year ago. Is anyone running a mls gasket on a isb(99-02) yet? Tim
Nope,

I had recently picked up a 2002 HO ETH motor that was ran without oil. The dealer sold it to me for pennies on the dollar. It came complete with all the electronics. I just pulled the head off of it and took it down to the machine shop to have it milled flat and complete gone through to repair the damage (if any) before I have it machined to accept Haisleys fire rings.

Justin-
Old 12-02-2004, 11:45 AM

I think the biggest thing is to make sure the head and block are perfectly flat. For reference, once the straight edge was on my block, I couldn't put a .001 feeler under it no matter where the straight edge was on the block.

What is the multilayer gasket (besides a multiple layers of gasket material)?

brandon.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by joefarmer
What is the multilayer gasket (besides a multiple layers of gasket material)?

brandon.
I think its the gasket that comes on all the Common Rail Cummins.

Piers say that by just adding head studs you can get a CR cummins to hold 60 to 70 PSI all day long.

I think I read that in a thread on TDR...

Joe,

When you did your head gasket did you have the block decked to make it flat, or was it already flat???

My grandpa just retired form Hill Airforce Base. He was the lead guy in calibrating all the F-16 equipement. He has all the tools and goodies to check to flatness/starightness. Major perfectionist!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by justinp20012500
Joe,

When you did your head gasket did you have the block decked to make it flat, or was it already flat???

My grandpa just retired form Hill Airforce Base. He was the lead guy in calibrating all the F-16 equipement. He has all the tools and goodies to check to flatness/starightness. Major perfectionist!
I got lucky and my block was flat after 160k miles.

Rob,

If you're reading this, thanks again for letting me borrow that straight edge.

brandon.

Quick Reply: Copper, Multi Layer, or Stock Head Gasket?