Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cool-Down Timer Article Available

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Cool-Down Timer Article Available

You guys have hit the nail on the head. The timer only activate one electrical node, the one needed to keep the engine running. The node that powers the ABS, air bags and many others has no power to them, so the indicator light is telling you exactly what it should - The ABS, Air bags, etc. are not working. As soon as the key is turned on, the other nodes will receive power and all will be well.

I will check the chimes thing at lunch, but as other have said I think you get the chimes even when the timer is not there.

I need to put a FAQ page on my web site to address issues like these, thanks for the input.

Howard
Old 10-29-2003, 12:52 PM

Thanks Howard,

I think the chimes I heard last night may be due to me having the door of the truck open while testing. Never did take the truck out of the driveway, as my neighbor came by to see what I was doing and shoot the breeze. Will check it tonight with door closed upon initalizing the timer.

Thanks for all the info and giving me some relief knowing everything is normal, at least for the truck and timer.

This site rocks ..... great vendors and plenty of knowledge to make our trucks rock.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:24 PM

Posted by: Jack Thorpe Posted on: Today at 12:39:28pm
Hey howard, given the fact that you were able to get this far with it, what kind of work do you think it would take to design something that would keep the engine running and all of the other systems running as well? I was just curious about that, not necessarily recommending that you go that way. I just want to know "technically" what you think it would take.
In order to have every electrical node powered, it would include a much bigger relay, a very large cable running from the battery and multiple wires running to multiple fuses. I an not sure why anyone would want that, but it could be done.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:31 AM

Hey Wizard,
If you make the effort to drive 6 hours for a cool-down timer, I will install it for nothing, or you could buy lunch. ;D

Howard
Old 10-30-2003, 10:25 AM

Update - Well the chimes I heard are from not having the seatbelt connected while testing unit. Tried the timer last night, no chime but I did get the ABS and AirBag indicator lights.

Thanks again Howard.

Casey
Old 10-30-2003, 10:33 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Used my timer again last night, pulled into the grocery store and the egt gauge showed 450 degrees. Set the timer to 2 minutes, engaged the parking brake and took out the keys.

When I came out some 10 minutes later the truck was cool, silent and waiting for the next run ;D

Got to love this thing 8)
Old 10-30-2003, 10:45 AM

Howard/Lary,

Just something I thought about, does this set any code(s) indicating no power to ABS or AirBag? Don't have my truck here to check.

Thanks,

Casey
Old 10-30-2003, 11:02 AM

Casey,
The Code question is a good one. If you look at the list of cods (http://www.troublecodes.net/chrysler/96-01.shtml), this has 96-01 but from what I have read the 02 and later have the same codes ( maybe wrong, let me know if I am). Anyway I do not see a code for ABS or airbags, maybe Lary, you have a 96 or 97? maybe you can check it for us.

Thanks.
Howard
Old 10-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

It hasn't set any codes on my truck at all. I just checked mine and it is clear.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this will clear up some of the code question. Starting with the 1997 model year, federal law mandated the OBD11 system on all American vehicles. They are all the same, you can use the Ford list, its the same. That being said there are two exceptions that I know of. There are a few codes that are manufacturer specific for the particular vehicle and some vehicles did not get the system in 1997 if there were no changes to the engine for the model year. One scanner works for all vehicles. An example of the exception, I have a 1997 Sunfire in the yard with the old Chev 4 cyl and it does not respond to OBDII. Pontiac says that some do, some don't. We used my '99 service manual to diagnose my son-in-laws 2001 Ford F-150 EGR system.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:47 AM

Howard/Lary

Thanks for all the input and assistance. Howard, I believe you've created a winner.

Now on to the next bomb.......

cya,

Casey
Old 10-30-2003, 11:57 AM

Haulin..
Thanks, that is good info.

Quick Reply: Cool-Down Timer Article Available