Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cool-Down Timer Article Available

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Cool-Down Timer Article Available

I got the Cool Down Timmer some time ago, and it was very streight forward, and simple to install. The thing works as stated, and I really like it. Some have commented on it "generic" look, but it looks right at home mounted to the dash. I think it is a very, simple,logical solution to the cool down problem. I realy enjoy getting out of the truck, as soon as I arrive. No waiting, nothing, just set the timer (push a button), and leave. Kind of cool, most people kind of look at you a little funny, and then scratch there head when it goes off some time later(I set mine to 2 min).
Old 10-29-2003, 09:25 AM

Good article! Turbo timers are also pretty popular with the turbo ricer crowd. Personally, I like the Avital 4300 alarm system. It has remote start and a built-in turbo timer. Everything is electronic, so there is no box sitting out on the dash. It even lets you arm the alarm while the engine is running.

Old 10-29-2003, 09:28 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

[quote author=y-knot link=board=7;threadid=21672;start=0#msg202990 date=1067439796]
Some have commented on it "generic" look, but it looks right at home mounted to the dash. [/quote]

I had not heard that comment yet, but I think that falls in line with Howard's design concept, A good product at a fair price.

Like you, I think it looks great, but then I like my truck to LOOK like a truck No doubt there would be some customers who would like a "streamlined" design and neon lights on it.

Functionality I think is what is most important, but that's why so many of us drive these diesel trucks

Old 10-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Banned

I agree, I got those comments form some posters on the TDR. I told them it was not ment to be a fashion statement. If I really wanted to, I could easily take the thing apart, and install behind the dash, So all you would see is the light, and **** for the timer. But I kind of like it , like it is. And I really don't want a alarm, remote set, remote start. Just want to get out of a dang truck, and have the thing go off after 2 min, that's it.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:33 AM

I assume these will be available for the 03-04 trucks at some point in the future, anyone know when?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Admin Team Leader

[quote author=alan1 link=board=7;threadid=21672;start=0#msg203029 date=1067445190]
I assume these will be available for the 03-04 trucks at some point in the future, anyone know when?
[/quote]

They are available NOW! this unit works with all the Dodge cummins trucks out there

Howard just finished testing on a 2004 truck and it worked great!
Old 10-29-2003, 11:10 AM

Where can I get one?
Old 10-29-2003, 11:13 AM

Lary,

I just installed the Cool-Down Timer last night. Seems to work properly, shuts down when parking brake is released while engine running and timer on. Tried it on 2 minute mode, shut down truck in 2 minutes. However, I am getting the ABS and Air Bag lights on the instrument panel lighting up along with chimes I can hear. Is this normal? I emailed Howard last night, but haven't heard back.

Any idea?

Bocifus
Old 10-29-2003, 11:14 AM

Thanks Lary for the great article.

When I designed the turbo Cool-Down Timer I did it by listening to all you DTR members. No big bells and whistles, functional and at a good price. Thank-you to all that took the time to give me feedback.

As for the question about he 03 and 04 year CTD. YES, the Cool-down timer does work on these year trucks. I could not find one to test on so I visited my local Dodge dealer, fully expecting him to tell me NO. To my surprise he loved the timer and let me test it on a new 2004. The timer worked like a champ. The install will require running the red and blue wires through the firewall.

Just for information the timer works and has been tested on all Dodge CTD (89-04), Chevy Duramax, Ford PowerStroke (97, 2000, 2002)

Thanks again,
Howard
Old 10-29-2003, 11:33 AM

[quote author=Bocifus link=board=7;threadid=21672;start=0#msg203052 date=1067447622]
However, I am getting the ABS and Air Bag lights on the instrument panel lighting up along with chimes I can hear. Is this normal?[/quote]

I purchased the cool down timer from Genos Garage some time ago and it does the exact same thing when I set it... not sure exactly why it does it and it doesn't seem to affect anything...

Tony
Old 10-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Admin Team Leader

Bocifus,
The ABS light also stays lit in mine till the timer shuts off. I don't hear any chimes, but then this gunfire hardened veteran doesn't hear the high notes too well anyway

I think it is completely normal and I am certain Howard will get to you just as soon as he can with the proper explanation.

Thanks for bringing that up, I had intended to address that issue in the article, but it slipped my mind
Old 10-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Admin Team Leader

[quote author=Jamie link=board=7;threadid=21672;start=0#msg203049 date=1067447446]
Where can I get one?

[/quote]

Here is the website URL

http://cool-downtimer.com/
Old 10-29-2003, 12:22 PM

Thanks Lary,

I figured it was the constant hot lead feeding power back to the engine fuse when the timer is engaged.

Chimes only last a couple of seconds, hear them everytime I fire up the truck, but can't remember what the chimes represent.

Lights go out when engine shuts off, just wanted to make sure it was normal.

Mounted the box on the Brolin radio mount ran the wires underneath the seat along the door jam up to the fuse box, works great and is easy to reach.

Nice price, great product!

Take care,

Bocifus

Quick Reply: Cool-Down Timer Article Available