Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Converting 2WD 2500 CTD to 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting 2WD 2500 CTD to 4WD

Ok, I've gotton the ok to do the deed. Has anyone here done this before? What suggestions can you give me?

Anyone have a good source for stock parts? I know the whole Junkyard idea, but there aren't any less than 1hr away.

Please feel free to toss your two cents in, along with your old stock parts! ;
Old 01-03-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Be aware before you begin, besides the transfer case, front diff, and front driveshaft, you will be replacing pretty much everything in the front end (steering components and the rest of the suspension), the rear driveshaft, cross member, and the tail shaft on the tranny. You will need to obtain the vacuum lines and other components to shift it in and out of 4wd. You will also probably need to swap out the rear springs, or maybe just add blocks to the rear, as the front end must sit higher to the diff clears the engine.
This is a huge job, not for the faint of heart.

You will do best if you can get a roll-over or other total loss that did not damage the drive train/frame, so you can pull everything you need off that truck to put on yours.

Chris
Old 01-03-2005, 11:49 PM

Thanks for the heads up as to the degree of this undertaking.

Keep in mind that this is not beyond my relm of capabilities. If you could see my Jeep, and it's tube chassis, you'd understand ;-)

So, other than all the little things, what can I learn about the stock system before I use it? I've heard horrible things about the stock Steering box/pump/trac bar... Should I change them before I aquire them?

Also, I just plan on searching for someone who'as lifted their truck, so I can acquire their used parts. Hopefully cheap
Old 01-04-2005, 12:03 AM
Banned

if you're gonna build a bastard, use leaf springs up front!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:59 AM

I don't really want to build a bastard in that 1) I want easy parts availability and 2) If'n I ever DO sell it, I want the next owner to be able to deal with it.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Banned

if you're just going to build a stock truck, I'd sell yours and buy a stock truck... it'll be cheaper in the long run and will have better resale value.

Forrest
Old 01-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Banned

well.......there are always knockers ,so be happy and go for it besides....if you by a wreck you get a wreck.....if you go to the yards you have some options of which wreck you choose from........and you wont have a extra wreck lying in the drive for the neighbor to look at.....no offence to the knockers.......dont want to strt a long drawn thing here and thats all there is anyway.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:42 AM

Yeah, why not do that?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
if you're just going to build a stock truck, I'd sell yours and buy a stock truck... it'll be cheaper in the long run and will have better resale value.

Forrest
I'd second, third, and fourth that. Only caveat being the fact that 2WD 2500s have crap resale value anyway (at least here in New England they do).
Old 01-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Banned

bring 'em to TX!!!

just saying in the end, you'll have the same amount of money (or more) in converting your truck, and you'll have COUNTLESS hours of labor in it that you'll never recoup.

like I said, if you're gonna spend the time/money/etc., get freaky on it, and put leaves on it!

Forrest
Old 01-04-2005, 10:19 AM

I think I would by a "good" rolled rig and block them up side by side in the garage and start moving parts across. When I was done I would have a big garage sale and unload the remaining parts. Have you parked next to a 4x4 and done any comparisons of the front frame rails? Also you might want to find a 6 speed donor truck while you are doing it. And an extra Dana 80 with disc and 4:10 LSD for the back of my truck. SNOKING
Old 01-04-2005, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by Snoking
I think I would by a "good" rolled rig and block them up side by side in the garage and start moving parts across. When I was done I would have a big garage sale and unload the remaining parts. Have you parked next to a 4x4 and done any comparisons of the front frame rails? Also you might want to find a 6 speed donor truck while you are doing it. And an extra Dana 80 with disc and 4:10 LSD for the back of my truck. SNOKING
I have not ut parked next to the 4x4. We've gotten more rain in the past 2 weeks than we have in the past 2 year, so I haven't been out much.

I like the idea of finding a 6spd though ;-) and if'n I run across a D80, I'll send it your way.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it was me, I would save myself a lot of time and grief. Just either trade or sell the truck for what you want now. If you are worried about resale value, most people will check out the history of the truck and find out it came from the factory as 2wd and really question why it is now 4wd. Was it in a wreck? What is the quality of the conversion? If you realy want to do something with this truck, like Forrest said get freaky. Leaf springs, custom suspension and lift, maybe put some of those 49" Iroks under it.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by mkubacak
If it was me, I would save myself a lot of time and grief. Just either trade or sell the truck for what you want now. If you are worried about resale value, most people will check out the history of the truck and find out it came from the factory as 2wd and really question why it is now 4wd. Was it in a wreck? What is the quality of the conversion? If you realy want to do something with this truck, like Forrest said get freaky. Leaf springs, custom suspension and lift, maybe put some of those 49" Iroks under it.
Yeah, that'd make towing the 38'er nice... NOT!

I have a rig for wheeling, now I plan on fixing my towrig to better suit my needs.

What about a Cepek Long arm kit? It comes with Bracketry and what-not?

Also, there is another company that does it right, but uses coil-overs. I can't recall their name.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is your doner truck.========
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...945337533&rd=1

Quick Reply: Converting 2WD 2500 CTD to 4WD